Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Retro look 2012 Glastron

Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #39999

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
One of the guys on the CGOAMN site posted some pics of the new GT-160 "Retro Look" Glastron;
Not sure I like the look, but no worries 'cause I'm not buying one anyway. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40007

They would certainly get some attention at the boat launch Mark. I wonder how they perform?

Frank

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40009

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I'm with you on the styling,Mark. But at least it's an attempt at something a little different. I'll take it . :)

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40012

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Not sure if its exactly retro, but it IS different, and different is good! I bet it becomes a big seller, and maybe others will follow?
Just like the revised Mustang led to retro-modern camaro.
I'm not about to buy one, but it is great to see them injecting some style into the designs.

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40019

• MarkS
Yup, I guess you gotta give 'em credit for at least trying to bring back some of the old lines. Maybe it will grow on me, I just thought y'all might like to see it too.

Mark

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40025

i like it,you can see its differnt from the cookie cutter boats of today,i like the lines too,you guys really wont like the way i change up the cutter to make it even more interesting,lol,at least to me,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40044

• bilnan1
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 14
It is a Backwards Beeline,,Bill
Attachments:

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40050

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I would think no wood at all to replace in 40 years!

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40071

I prefer the red one, I can't really remember black boats 40 years ago, but red yes. Besides, the red one has a real motor on it.

As for no wood to replace in 40 years, I'll be 91 & probably won't care.

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40089

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
My thoughts on the design are thumbs down.Now from the rubrail to the water line, not bad.From the rub up it looks like crap.You start out with flowing lines then end up with semi angular on the topsides.It just looks like overkill to me.There is way too much going on for my taste.The Beeline has graceful lines along with the windshield.It just flows and that new one looks to me like it try's too hard to be something that it isn't.Okay hate on me,for voicing my opinion on a retro wannabe.I will stick with the original's.................

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40090

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ditch the "euro" look transom for the original, i'll think about it....

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40096

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I love the Black one from the Prop up to the Transom . From the transom Forward not so good ..The Red one isnt a bad looking boat ..A GT ?? I dont think so .Buyers now want all of the Bells and Whistles .If the designer had any bit of Cool in them Im sure they would have loved to make the boat Shorter in height by a foot or two .But he knew Some Fat Cats Diva Wife wouldnt like a boat that low .Im sure they would have loved to Cut that windshield down and brought it down the sides like the Old GTs But Miss Diva Probaully Doesnt want the Wind in her hair Or Wig ..And it makes it harder to get in and out of .And im sure they didnt want to put that Big Platform on back But if Buffy and Jody were to Break a Toe Nail or bruise a leg God Forbid getting back in the boat after swiming ...MMMMM Law Suit time ..Bet he wanted to put a Hydraulic Jack Plate on the back .And he had to Build it Wide to have room for the GPS , DVD with Video Games and Flat Screen TV ,Not to Mention the Capachino Machine .Ya gotta build for what the Majority of Purchasers would want .And Unfortunately People just cant enjoy the great out doors with a Great Boat, thier family and a warm sunny day without all the junk civilization has now that chokes the pleasure out of it .Luckily The Good People on this site help to preserve part of a simpler , better time when people valued the person sitting next to them more than faster Texting Speed or the latest gadget .And I feel Honored to share this Hobby with you all . Sorry if I got Preachy ..L.O.L..Gotta get that out once in awhile ...... CAN I GET A AMEN BROTHERS !!!!......

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40097

• MarkS

Okay hate on me,for voicing my opinion on a retro wannabe.I will stick with the original's.................

No hate on ya at all, for me anyway. That's why I posted it, to get other people's opinion. If everyone felt the same way, had the same opinion, life would be pretty boring.

For the most part, I much prefer the genuine originals to "today's remakes" on almost any vehicle. Like I think I said, I give 'em credit for trying, and recognizing the "heritage" of the classic lines, but "too busy" is a pretty good analogy IMHO. It'll be interesting to see how many they sell.

I also agree with Mr. Andros, if I did hit the lottery, it would have to be the Red one. And yes, make mine an ETEC please! How's that for controversial?!?!?!? (Okay, to be honest, if I hit the lottery I could get one of each color and powerplant.) :laugh:

Mark

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40105

This is a REAL GT160 not some re-badged white blob and would probably walk right by it any day of the week .

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40107

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I don't think the retros would last 40 years. Laid glass vs blown plastic with a smidgeon of fiber? The design IMHO is middle of the road. It could use some chrome and polish to really make it retro.
Attachments:

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40161

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I agree with Bobo, they probably built it for a new market. But why do that and call it Retro when it does NO justice to the original? For their probable asking price, I could probably find a decent original and pay a professional resto shop to do the dirty work. No fiberglass itching, no paint fumes, no trying to remember where I put something, etc. But why deprive myself of these fun (???) things?

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40173

• MarkS
All good points / viewpoints. I actually know where there is (was?) red and white one completely restored, that I know I'd like better than the new ones. Considerably less than they're going to want to the 2012, I'm sure. (Then I could pocket the rest of the lottery money and use it for gas/oil/ramp fees!)

Mark

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40204

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
gil_72gt-160 wrote:

This is a REAL GT160 not some re-badged white blob and would probably walk right by it any day of the week .

Is that your Boat ?? She is a pretty one . It Just yells ... Get in ... Shut Up ... Hang On ...

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40273

bobo wrote:

gil_72gt-160 wrote:

Is that your Boat ?? She is a pretty one . It Just yells ... Get in ... Shut Up ... Hang On ...

she was my boat. got her in pretty rough shape, redid just about all of her. i had to sell because of the wonderful economy . i got more "smiles to the mile" with that little boat than any other one i ever had . always a crowd at the launch and where ever i beached her asking what she was lol .

Re:Retro look 2012 Glastron 13 years 1 month ago #40390

OK guys, not a real classic, but well done. Remember that new boats must follow many different new safety rules, that the old ones never comes close to. My old intimidator i had way back, took water in at transom every time you pulled the trottle off. Another thing, is that nohing has happend in boat design for a long time, and Glastron is putting design back at the agenda, and that must be a good thing. There are no small sport boats to buy today, and this is a very nice effort, to make a rebirt of the sport boat. Hope this will bring back bigger boats from Glastron with closed bow. A 20-22´closed bow wold be great to see.
GEE DAD, Skip that Harley, I want one.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.444 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5617 guests and one member online