• Page:

TOPIC: Flotation

Flotation 13 years 2 months ago #39823

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I'm working on the Herters flying fish, see thread below for 59 Herters. The previous owner must have pulled all the flotation out, I can see where some might have been. What does everyone use for new foam. Is there a kit for making the stuff? I'm not going to shove swimming noodles in every nook and cranie :laugh:
I'll post more pictures on the thread tonight after I glass in new wood bracing for the seats and foredeck and glass backing on all the large holes that need filling especially the dash. I'm installing 1 1/2" pvc under both gunwales for wires and cables.
Sabre
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Flotation 13 years 2 months ago #39836

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Pool noodles, construction sheathing foam, "Great Stuff" (spray foam in a can), or two part closed cell are all options. Here's a link to a video you may find interesting;
www.youtube.com/user/FriscoJarretts#p/u/29/gyGBC9Z0g_o
I've been following his "DIY" video thread for quite a while, this one covers using the two part foam. I've picked up some great tips, kinda hate to see him finish the project! ;)

Mark

Re:Flotation 13 years 2 months ago #39843

excellent tutorial........

Re:Flotation 13 years 2 months ago #39850

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Really good video, now I know what I'll do. There's no floor on the flying fish but since I have the halves separated I'm thinking of glassing some plywood framing under the bow, gunwales and stern and do a pour with it upside down. Should work out well.
Thanks
Attachments:

Re:Flotation 13 years 2 months ago #39895

We just completed a 1959 Herters Flying Fish and we put the 2-part epoxy floatation foam under the seats in the seat cavities and while we had the top and bottom decks separated, we put floatation in the fin area, blocking it off from the taillights so as not to interfere with the lights.

Hope this was helpful. If you want to see how good it worked, take a look at the ACBS magazine, "Rudder", from a few months ago. We did not have the gaskets around the hoses in the motor well and a storm blew in and started flooding the boat's motor well, causing it to go under.

Haynes Fiberglass

Re:Flotation 13 years 2 months ago #39949

I STRONGLY disagree with the suggestion for using GREAT STUFF foam ANYWHERE on a Boat. I spoke directly with the MFG and they do NOT recommend using it for floatation. It is not a DENSE foam and WILL absorb water. The Pink or Blue slab foam IS GREAT stuff to use, 100% waterproof and will NEVER become waterlogged. Can be Hot Glued and cut to shape to fit just about any structure. Two part pour foam works well when the deck can be TOTALLY Sealed and Sealed WELL.

Re:Flotation 13 years 2 months ago #39959

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Now I really have options. It might come down to finances also. Gluing pink board is certainly an option since it can be shaped with heavy sandpaper to fit anything. I can see the original blocks of styrofoam were just glued on the surface, probably why they are missing now.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5615 guests and one member online