Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New hydraulic steering install

New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39712

I started a thread in the merc forum about this install primarily to see how others might have done it with vintage mercs. That thread is here: www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/17-mercury-outpost/39388-new-hydraulic-steering-install-on-old-merc.html

I'm continuing the install here because now it is not motor specific. I thought it might be of assistance to those who want or need to replace their old pulley or push-pull systems with a modern hydraulic system, or have at least wondered about it. I'm doing it for safety reasons, and also because my poor old shoulders complain every time I get out of the boat.

Last night I got home to find the system package at my door step. My first concern was getting a system meant for later model motors attached to my old merc. Got that figured out.

So I went back at it tonight. Got the helm installed, then ran out one hose to check corner radius. Got plenty of hose, no problem there. How would ya get this stuff straightened out a bit from the coil? Just set it out in the sun?

I'm throwing a pic in from when I was building the boat, and had used someone else's idea for glassing in pieces of pvc pipe to run stuff through. These lines will run on the port side all on their lonesome through those pieces of pvc pipe.

You can see the screwy looking plastic piece the old cable went through. That will disappear by next spring/summer. I want to install a piece on the port side of the splashpan like the one on the other side the controls come through.

Got a buddy bringing a wheel over tonight or tomorrow so I can bleed the system, just in case the used one I bought isn't here yet. Want to get this puppy done by the weekend, but am taking my time and NOT rushing anything. Thanks to another friend for making me a cool stainless steel spacer to replace my 5/8" length of 3/8" i.d. steel tubing.

Got some body work to do, but that's nothing new. There's more than a reasonable chance this entire deck will be stripped in the spring and repainted with (probably) base coat/clear coat. One thing at a time!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39728

Be sure to keep us posted.

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39737

Looking good so far Frank.

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39805

Thanks guys.

Got the tubes in and hooked up. Those pieces of pvc tubing I glassed in under the gunnel a few years ago sure helped.

Got clearance problems with the motor clamps and past that the arms that come over the transom when I tilt it.

It helps to put the assembly at the motor all the way to the top of the stud, so the spacer would be underneath, not above the assembly. I'll need to modify my transom saver a bit too.

How could I make a tilt limiter in case I got over-anxious and tilted it too much? Wonder if I could get another merc attachment to bring the assembly higher? Could I take the clamp handles off? Any other ideas?

Can any you guys tell me what the difference is between a "master spoke" or "centered" steering wheel vs. an equidistant spoke steering wheel. They say I should only use an equidistant spoke steering wheel. I fail to see how that makes a difference, but they say it does.

They recommend Permatex PST for the fittings, but I can't find it around here, amazingly enough. Plus I got tubing, not hoses, so get to play with compression fittings where it attaches to the helm. Whippee.

She's coming along, slow but sure.

Frank
Attachments:

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39809

looks like a nice clean installation frank. i wouldn't expect anything other. ron
i got my merc control from tim today. i'll be asking you for detailed installation of the mount soon.

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39810

Thanks Ron. And glad to help with your new control. Just let me know.

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39826

Little body work, faired the old 3/8 hole out with 50 grit (and the area around it), stuffed some plywood pieces in the hole and did the first coat with kitty hair (front and back), then body fill. Sanded it with 150, then did another coat of fill.

Got the hydraulic tubing tightened up some...

I think this is gonna work out just fine. More tomorrow and hopefully wrap it up Saturday. Jesse brought me over an old steering wheel to use to bleed the system, so all I really need now is just time.

Frank
Attachments:

Paint 13 years 2 months ago #39866

Good enough for now. Don't mind the bit of glare, it's smooth (other than the brush marks). Will start on assembly tonight/finish tomorrow.

Attachments:

Just about ready to roll 13 years 2 months ago #39944

Did a bit of work when I got home, but am a bit under the weather, so I quit. Stuff I posted yesterday was stuff I got done while home sick, in between long naps. Back to work today, but still not completely with it.

Cut the clamps handles off, solved my clearance problems, so everything is ready to get tightened up, helm filled, lines bled, etc. But I'm done for the day, and hope I feel up to completing this project in the a.m. and go for test ride.

Buddy of mine in Ct is sending me later model clamp brackets with hex head clamps. I'll swap the old stuff out this fall when I pull the motor for the season.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Just about ready to roll 13 years 2 months ago #39960

Frank,

I never have considered a hydro steering unit, since my understanding is that the wheel never has a true center, and that is why the stainless steel spoked "destroyer" wheels have become so popular. Is this not the case?? Just wondering - thanks -

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39964

Yep. You can't keep a centered wheel on a hydraulic system due to some internal hydraulic slip. Equidistant spoke wheels work fine, never a worry about center. That's okay with me, I don't mind!

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39967

Frank,
It's looking GREAT! Sorry to hear you under the weather, hope you fell better soon buddy.

Bob

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 2 months ago #39968

oops double post.

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40000

Thanks Bob! I'm up at the normal hour, so that's a good sign. While it's dark out, I'll unload the dishwasher, load it up, clean the kitchen, re-read the instructions for the millionth time, then go finish it up. I am VERY anxious to dip the Power Cat in the water and see how it works, trust me!

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40011

I should have done this when I put the Power Cat together to begin with! Talk about completely effortless steering! Turn lock-to-lock with my pinky, no effort whatsoever. It will no doubt be even easier in the water. Very responsive as well. I'm using an old steering wheel Jesse lent me, but have a new equidistant spoke 13.5" stainless wheel (25 degree dish) coming. Thanks to all for the help, encouragement, suggestions, etc, you are a great bunch of folks!

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40015

Frank,
That's awesome now get out there and get us some pics! Provided your feeling better of course.

Bob

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40021

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I'm proud for ya Frank, I know that's gotta make life easier for you buddy. No sense in hurting when you're done having fun if you don't have to! Can't wait to hear about the test session. :cheer:

Mark

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40023

wow frank great job,looks pretty complicated,to put together,very nice work,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40030

Thanks guys! Feeling somewhat better, able to get up and take nourishment. In fact, just now making a grilled pastrami and provolone grilled sandwich for lunch...

Of course, getting this system in and done correctly was bugging me, so now it's done and working fine at home, but I have a mess to clean up after lunch. Boat, shop, etc. Plenty to do. Weather is a little iffy, so we'll see what happens. this will be a big relief for my shoulders, and make boating just that much more fun for me, seeing I drive it all the time.

It was mildly complicated, but not too bad John. I'd do it again, no problem.

I'll keep y'all posted as to how we make out with it, but I got real good feelings about it! Some more assembly pics later too.

Frank

Steering test 13 years 1 month ago #40120

Took the 14T out this a.m. on the Hudson River for a steering test. Everything worked better than great, wonderful system. It was only after I got home that I realized the real benefit - it's effortless to go straight at speed. With the push-pull system, I was always trying to keep the motor from turning left. No more. It's great.

Frank

New clamps 13 years 1 month ago #40358

Got my new-to-me clamps yesterday. Will install when I pull the motor this fall. Have other install pics, but been too busy to work on much. New steering wheel should be here by week's end, but we're off camping this weekend, so I'll install that and take some pics when I can.

Have a great day all!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40359

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Frank
I have not posted in this forum about your steering.
I have been watching though. I am glad to hear that it working great for you. Looks complicated but step by step you got there, it looks like you have a nice setup.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40361

Thanks Neil. Man, it is SUCH a vast improvement over the old system. I worried about it continually, but everything has worked out better than I could have imagined. One of the things I really like about it is that there are only 3 nuts to worry about, the one that holds the mount to the motor, and the two on each end of the hydraulic cylinder. That's it! And while I thought the tubing feeding the cylinder would look too "busy" in the back, I think they look fine. We're doing good.

Take care, and thanks again.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40378

Frank sorry for not responding to ya for a few days. Ive been in Western South Dakota without wifi for days. I really like the spacer you made but it looks like you didnt need it. Thats even better not using it and bring the system up to meet the tiller. SHorter is less leverage on your system.

Those newer style clamps are the best. My 1974 1500 has thumb screws. my 1975 1500 has the 9/16 hex head. They are much easier to work with.

Good work and now we need to install a hydro jack plate next :)
Conrad

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40386

Hey, no problem Conrad. I know a lot of folks travel and are busy, or just don't use computers much.

I agree about not using a spacer above. I have washers underneath for now, but think it's much better where it is. Geometry won't work trying to mount it right up to the motor, still needs the bracket. And yes, I can't wait to get those new clamps on with the hex heads.

A hydro jack plate would be great. Someday...

Thanks!

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40511

frank , hydraulic steering..easy and safe. might look into it. sure beats waiting for a pulley to yank out. ron

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40519

No kidding Ron, you have pulley & cable on your boat? Cable can be okay when it's taken care of and working well. You can get new steering systems for under 200 bucks that would eliminate your existing steering with a push-pull system (like my old Ride Guide was), but they don't have the power steering aspects of hydraulic steering. Shoot me a picture of how your existing cable attaches to your motor, and I'll tell you what I think.

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40533

nm
Attachments:

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40572

First of all, that is very similar to my motor, in fact, when I first got it, it had the same exact bracket, and was set up for pulley steering. So you would need a different steering bracket, but my concern is room for a hydraulic system. You need a minimum of 21" width for the unit to work, 5" depth, and 6" back from the motor.

If you can't meet those dimensions, a reasonable alternative to pulley steering would be a standard Teleflex system like this: www.amazon.com/Teleflex-SS13212-Safe-T-Marine-Steering/dp/B0000AXU9M

This is essentially a push-pull system. It wouldn't be like power steering, but it would be close, and it would mean you never had to worry about a pulley coming out!

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #40576

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Frank brings up a very good point on your application Ron, the limited splashwell space you have to work with. I know you don't want to make major modifications to that beautiful boat, and don't blame you there! (Those same systems are available for $120-$140 elsewhere, be sure to shop around!). You may be able to use a "stand off" mount up under the rear deck, like this;
cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p5237.m2000013&item=360371074922&vi ](Those are probably available cheaper elsewhere too!)

Mark

New steering wheel 13 years 1 month ago #41300

This project is now complete. Came home to a new steering wheel. Got the old one off and the new one on. Now on to other tasks to get ready for the next big trip!

Frank

Attachments:

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #41316

Cool, looks good Frank, I like it.

Bob

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #41346

Thanks Bob. Now we all know what an equidistant spoke steering wheel means! It's gonna get a lot of use over the next 3 days (Friday-Sunday).

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #41349

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Looks great Frank.
Be safe over the long weekend, but, drive the heck out of it!!
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #41364

Thanks Neil! Yes, safety is key, and that is a big reason this new steering system is on. You can bet I'll be driving the heck out of it! ;)

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #41393

hey frank,we just got back from camping,or i would have posted sooner,it looks great,have fun with it buddy,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #41395

Thanks John! Tell me, where was the Gibson family camping? And you're back just before the weekend too! What do you have planned for fun?

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #41511

we were camping about 15 miles from home,lol,1st trip out with the camper this year,stayed close to home to get knee injections,plus we had a gift card for the campground,lol.
as for the weekend i was going to work on the boat i gave the nephew but he says he cant untill monday,darn i could have had alot done on one of my boats by now or worked on my wifes carousel horse,i might do that,but his boat is in the garage,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #41550

Ain't nuttin wrong with that! Too bad the nephew screwed you up with your weekend plans.

We blew a trailer tire on the way over here today, and changing it screwed my back up. Maybe tomorrow we'll do some boating. In the meantime I'm gonna pick up a couple new tire/wheel combos from Tractor Supply. Man, it's alway sumpin!

Frank

Re:New hydraulic steering install 13 years 1 month ago #42375

I had hydraulic steering on Glass Mariner when there were twin 70s on it. Worked great when is worked. A friend in the Marine business said disregard the manual when bleeding the system. He should me how to do it and it worked for three yrs. This was naudica system.

I down sized to one motor when I got a Club Mariner. The Mariner has and teleflex Rack and Pinion NFB and the club has Rotary NFB Love them both.

I still have and the parts and will sell cheap.

Tom
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5570 guests and no members online