Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ?

Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39444

• bobo
  • bobo's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Im suppose to go get the boat in the picture on tuesday ..He wants some stuff I have .Looks pretty cool to me . Its suppose to be 10 to 12 foot long and rated for a 25 hp motor .Im not sure if this is the actual boat or just one that looks like his .If its the actual I thinking im getting a great deal ..But what is it ?? I have a Merc 50 hp Short shaft ..To Much on there ?? Thats a 25 Rude sitting on it .Looks like fun to me ..Comes with a Toilet Paper dispenser ..L.O.L...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39460

I don't know what it is bobo, but it looks fast just sitting there. If it's only 10 or 12' long, that 50 horse merc you got would require fresh rolls of toilet paper!

Frank

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39466

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks cool, whatever it is. The stripes remind me of the early 70's AMX paint scheme, looks like a blast Larry!

Mark

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39470

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That is a 11 foot or 13 foot Cougar Cub mini speed boat

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39474

Wow Jim, you're good!

How's life treating you? Had that boat in the water you picked up at my place?

Frank

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39489

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Jim is correct. Basically a shrunk down version of their offshore cat. Don't think I'd take that one offshore, but an afternoon chop should be fun. 25hp rating is because of its size, 35-70hp is what I remember seeing most often. How much depends on T.P. supply, should be fine with 50hp and may require double rolls of 2-ply.

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39500

I drove one just like that out in the Gulf down in Mexico. Was sporting a honda 35hp and man could it get it on the waves.

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39506

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks Guys .I was looking for something smaller to just take down to the Lake by myself for a quick ride if nobodys around .Thought of getting a Kneel Down Hydro and still am but if you crashed and Burned by yourself that could end up being a bad thing .With a 25 to a 50 this would use alot less fuel than my CV 16 with a tower .Be alot easier to load by myself to .What years did they build these or do they still ?? Any Bad Habits that I might want to know about ? Thanks Larry

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39515

without telling for sure which boat that is... they still make ones that look excatly like it. Both in a v hull and Tunnel. Fairly inexpensive, about $3500-$5000 for a new hull (when compared to a full size).

edit: they have went up in price, more like $4500-$8500 for a similar hull new.

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39570

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I talked to the guy tonight .He said he owned 2 of them and raced them in his younger days .Said with a 25 on them they would run Mid to high 30s .Said it felt more like the 80s He said it was a scat cat Made by Baja .Said its been in a barn over 15 years . He seems like a heck of a nice guy .Said it still looks like in the picture But maybe alot of dust and some chicken poop .Its got a hot foot and a jack plate .. Cant wait to get it Will post pics tommrow if Karma is with me ..

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39571

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Go Larry.
Something tells me you are entertaining the idea of bolting on one of those 1000's. ;)
Looks like fun.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39574

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Dang Neil you read my mind ....L.O.L...I think the boats less than 300 pound and that Tower is probaully most of that weight itself .Then put my 180 pounds in it I might have a problem .I have faith in my Mercs but with Todays Gas it might not start well under water ...L.O.L..Anybody got a Scuba Setup ..

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39610

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
still buffing her out and wet sanding her. I do have the motor on but I am trying to get her shined up 1st

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39643

come on... wheres the pictures????

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39662

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well I went and got her today Come Hell or high water . I had to do a couple of things outside before I left . Of course soon as I started .... Pouring rain .Finnaly stopped and got car loaded Started the car and what did i Hear ?? Tornado Sirens Severe lightning storm ..Checked Radar ..Coming from the west Im heading south I should miss it .The Mercedes is running great on the Old Veggy Oil ..Get south 60 miles starts Bucking .Crap Clogged filter ..(( First one in 10,000 miles )) Started changeing filter along side freeway .Skys opened up and started pouring by the buckets full again .Almost done prime the pump fast and get in ..SOAKED ...L.O.L..I drove this car out to meet Neil in WY running on Veggy 2000 miles round trip never missed a beat .. Whens it going to Quit ?? Just in time for the hardest rain ive seen in years While stuck on a Freeway ...L.O.L.. Ya ever Wonder Why Mercedes was Named after a Woman ? Now ya know why ...L.O.L..

The Boat looks pretty Great really .Was in a Barn with shrink wrap on it .Still got dirty but was well preserved .Everything moves freely , Transom is Rock solid .The boat looks like a 8 in the 10 scale .Had Registration card and DNR paper work already made out for me .Super Nice guy ..Just dont understand why he let me have it for what he did ..Has even a racing pedegre ..Only repairs that I seen that was made Looked like maybe it had a Nickle size hole poked in the Lower right side . Was repaired well but never Gell coated or painted . Its a 85 Baja .Not a Glassic but still pretty cool . Boats rated at 25 HP but transom looks very stroung .Has a Jack Plate on it with a 4 inch set back ..I got a 50 hp Merc Shorty .Looks like it would be a nice home for it .Seen these boats with bigger But is it safe in a structural stand point ?? Whats the ticket for twice the rated HP ? Oppions ??

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39664

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Brain fart!!! Forgot about the Scat Cat!!! Baja makes a great boat, plenty strong for that 50. Make sure backing plates were used inside the transom where the jackplate bolts come through, helps distribute the load better, adds strength. If none are present and the inner transom is flat, use a 1/4" plate of aluminum to back it up. That should be enough for up to 70hp, if the need for speed gets to you.

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 2 months ago #39668

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Kerry wrote:

Brain fart!!! Forgot about the Scat Cat!!! Baja makes a great boat, plenty strong for that 50. Make sure backing plates were used inside the transom where the jackplate bolts come through, helps distribute the load better, adds strength. If none are present and the inner transom is flat, use a 1/4" plate of aluminum to back it up. That should be enough for up to 70hp, if the need for speed gets to you.

Thanks Kerry ..I joined Scream and Fly site .Its a fairly popular boat .Guys are running 25s to 70s on them .One guy was putting a V4 140 hp on his .He said it was done and going out to test . Never posted again about it after that . Im assuming that must have been a bad idea ...L.O.L...Will check for inside Plate . Larry

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 1 month ago #40309

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well I wet sanded and buffed the Old Girl out and a few good coats of Carnuba .I put the 50 Shorty on it . Off to the lake I go.I fired it up but it didnt want to idle .I hit the throttle and she got up to a whooping 6 mph on GPS ..L.O.L..She wouldnt build more that 2000 RPMs if that .I was changeing to a smaller size prop to see if I was over propped 19 pitch on her and I saw a spark plug wire that looked Burned by the cap .Crap only hitting on 3 .Back home I started to pull the cap then I noticed the end of the coil looked burned .When I touched it the Coil Wire and a good share of the coil tower fell off .Miracle in ran at all .Then I remembered I hadnt ever ran this motor . I ended up with 4 500s a few years ago and sold them except I kept this one cause she was a shorty .Guess I nerver did run it .Its a 1971 according to old mercs .com .Ive got a 650 that broke a ring . Its suppose to be a 1969 .The Coil , Distributor cap and switch box looks the same . Are they ??
Anyway Heres some pics .Felt pretty cool on the water and I wanted it to Scream BUT I only got to troll with it ...L.O.L..Felt like I took a Beatiful girl to the prom but when I took her home All I got was a hand shake

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 1 month ago #40312

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Well Larry it looks to me like you have a damn good lookin' prom date. When you get that Merc running like it should, it will be a blast.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it 13 years 1 month ago #40339

Larry,
Great looking boat. Can't wait to see pics of you at speed with the Merc on the back.

Bob

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it 13 years 1 month ago #40399

What is the part # on that coil?
336-4409?
If yes look around, but not until I get mine please.
These coils are very hard to get. I only need one more.

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 1 month ago #40416

thats a cool little boat bobo,cant wait to see it fly,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 1 month ago #40417

I would love to have something like that. Great small water boats.

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it 13 years 1 month ago #40433

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
jim18611865 wrote:

What is the part # on that coil?
336-4409?
If yes look around, but not until I get mine please.
These coils are very hard to get. I only need one more.

I have a 650 with a blown power head laying around . Sure looks like the same .I think on mine the coil wire might have been not all the way in or bad and it must have been Jumping a Arc inside it and cooked her .1 inch or more was burned off of the tower on the coil .It had even arced way over to one of the spark plug wires on the cap and burned threw the boot ..Man these must have some serious ZAP to them ..Sure hope I never get bit by one .. Anybody ever seen that before ?? Is it a common problem ?

Thanks for the compliments guys .It had HUGE Johnny Rude Stickers on both sides .When I pulled those off I could still read it .Tried buffing but wouldnt bring her back .So brought out the Old wet sanding bucket .6 hours of sanding and 4 of buffing and waxing Brought her back pretty well .I guess its not a Glassic but will be some day .I think they only made these 3 to 5 years .Im sure theres a bunch left but maybe not so many in a few years .This ones real solid But has some War Wounds . The Guy raced her a bit and had 2 of them at one time .He told me how he let his friend drive the other to practice race with him .His buddy Hooked it in a corner with him right on his tail He drove over the Bow of his Boat with his own boat ...L.O.L..Turns out a High Speed spinning prop isnt good on Fiberglass ..Luckily no one got her except for the other Scat .He had a few good storys for a few other Dings on her .

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 1 month ago #40441

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
It may not officially be a Glassic yet, but still a very unique and cool little "racer" IMO. Looks like she cleaned up pretty nice. Have fun but be careful in her Larry. :P

Mark

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 1 month ago #40484

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I just kinda wanted something fun that would be easy to get on and off a trailer by myself if I wanted to go for a quick run .And this has room for 2 just incase I ever meet my next Ex Wife ...L.O.L...

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 1 month ago #40491

Got a kill switch with a lanyard? A MUST in all go-fasts...

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 1 month ago #40509

Uhhhh...did anyone notice it was designed by Molinari? He's like the king of outboard raceboat designers.

Re:Im supose to go get this Tuesday ... What is it ? 13 years 1 month ago #40564

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
crosbyboat wrote:

Uhhhh...did anyone notice it was designed by Molinari? He's like the king of outboard raceboat designers.

The Molinari Family pretty much invented the Tunnel Hull .It was first thought of as a Novelity till nothing could catch it .Renato won so many Championships in so many Classes he was to Boat Racing what Ali was to boxing .Google him it makes for interesting reading if you love fast boats .The fellow I got the boat from Worked for OMC during the time Renato raced for them .He himself had a sponsership from OMC and ran at some of the events Renato ran at during the 80s .Said he was a good man but not Perfect English speaking .He was born in Italy .Renato helped design the Scat Cat for Baja .I still cant understand why the Gentle Man I got this boat from let me have it for what he did .But this poor boy feels somewhat Honored to own a boat that has some good Pedigree and was driven by a Man that mixed it up with one of the Greats .I will take good care of it .Mercury on it now ?? Well thats what he runs on his boats today ..He had no problem with that ...L.O.L...

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5490 guests and one member online