Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: This style drain plug removal

This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39240

Anybody know how this one comes out. It does not seem to like prying. I was going to put a new one of larger diameter in there. This one is small. Maybe I should just live with it. The transom is solid and the brass wood screws came right out. This is a 59 Winner.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39241

If it was put in with a product like 3M's 5200, you will have to literally destroy it to get it out Robert. I always hesitate before I use that stuff, but one of the places I do use it is on drain tubes.

Frank

Re:This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39242

With the screws out, I'd probably try beating on it with a hammer from the inside(if accessible)...or adapt a slide hammer somehow to the outside. Heating it up with a torch a bit will likely soften any adhesive that was used and should make it a little easier to remove.

Chances are, you're going to do a little damage to the transom taking it out if it's that stuck...but it shouldn't be to terribly difficult to patch.

Re:This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39243

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
It looks to have paint between the flange and transom so I would 1st take a sharpened putty knife and drive it between the flange and transom. Then I'd do a couple of heating and cooling cycles, reinstall,tighten the pipe plug to spin it loose again using the putty knife to put pressure behind the flange.

Another method I used recently when I replaced 2 identical drain plugs on our Skagit 20 was the use of a small slide hammer that I used to remove pilot bearings from auto flywheel/crankshaft when doing clutch R&R. Good luck.

Melanie

Re:This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39244

It's out. I don't think it is supposed to be a drain plug. It is a brass fitting with threads. It looks like either black iron or galvanized 1/2 inch pipe nipple cut off just to fit inside the transom. Wood is still solid thank God. It just had a small bead of silicon around the inside. The rest was held in with rust. Thanks all. I drove it out with a deepwell socket.
Attachments:

Re:This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39245

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Other than the addition of some pipe to lengthen it looks like your standard garboard drain plug piece. Glad you were able to remove it without damage to transom.

Re:This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39246

Good for you Robert, ya did good. It never fails to amaze me what folks will use for boat hardware. That's a new one!

Frank

Re:This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39249

I can beat that. The pipe came out of the brass.

Re:This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39297

So this is a piece for a hull drain. Is it supposed to have a 1/2 inch pipe through the transom? It seems smallish to me. I'll replace the nipple I took out with a brass one if that's all it takes. It would flow twice as much without the thickness of the pipe. I just never seen this fitting before.

Re:This style drain plug removal 13 years 2 months ago #39313

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I think those type are called "Garboard" drains Robert, it's been suggested I use one of those on my GT-150 project. I would think 1" would be a better size to use, that's what I've seen normally in the past. I don't believe (could be wrong again here) they're supposed to be extended to the inside of the transom. If the 1" hole is sealed properly with resin, I don't think it would be essential to put the pipe back in there. (?) I'm used to seeing the conventional 1" brass (?) tube, flared at each end. Seems to me this would be better at sealing out water, but I'm still thinking it over and doing research. Anybody else care to share some knowledge on this???

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6874 guests and one member online