• Page:

TOPIC: Motor stand

Motor stand 13 years 2 months ago #38907

• TallTexan
  • TallTexan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The motor stand that I use to make a repair stand; is going on sale August 26-28 at Harbor Freight's tent sale for $29.99

www.harborfreight.com/750-lb-capacity-engine-stand-32915.html

From the time I took the photo below and now I have added a 4X4 spacer along with having the 2X6 angled out..in doing this I made the stand where I can spin the motor upside down as to install the LU better.....Mine is so tall for 2 reasons...Long shaft motors...and I am a bit over 6'6" tall ;D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

CAVU

Re:Motor stand 13 years 2 months ago #38913

TT,
Thanks for the heads up. I like your stand idea and the ability to flip the motor for lower unit install. I think I'm going to get one, plus I'm going to need it for the Flagship 283 I pull from the Century. I'll have to pull the bell housing off but it will work just fine and definitely like that price! I love that place.

Bob

Re:Motor stand 13 years 2 months ago #38915

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
One other thing I did
I did not bolt the leg part of the stand to it per instructions!

I drilled a hole through both the stand and the leg and installed a hitch pin (above left of the fuel tank)...That way I can take the leg off and store it along the wall...The top part (turn table) comes off by just removing the handle

CAVU

Re:Motor stand 13 years 2 months ago #38969

Having built a few motor stands, I offer the following:
The harbor unit at the sale price has many advantages to building your own.
The leg setup will allow you to work with a cherry picker (assuming you have one). The space between the legs allow an almost vertical lift, on or off.
The mounting bracket, or rather the wood attached to the bracket can be interchanged, rebuilt, etc. to accommodate any outboard bracket style. Or any other thing you might want to put on there.
You can't buy the steel to build one for 30, unless you know someone to sell ya scrap, let alone, assuming the casters are not crap, buy those for 30. Oh ya, and did I mention, factoring in the time to build, and welding consumables :ohmy:

TT
thanks for the tip,
I'll be putting the tent sale on my calendar!

lar

Re:Motor stand 13 years 2 months ago #38970

Boy, great idea and thanks for the tip. Boatgeek is right, you couldn't even come close to that price if you had to buy the stuff. I might get two, I could use another sbc engine stand anyways.

Re:Motor stand 13 years 2 months ago #38973

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I use that as a stand w/my Starflite.

A word of caution, though- And I learned this the hard way!!

be CAREFUL if you take the lower unit off, especially on larger motors... It will be VERY top heavy, and thew wheels on the back of the stand don't extend too far behind the unit, so it gets 'tippy'. Mine took a nose dive, and did some serious damage to the motor!!

It's VERY stable when the L.U. is on- And the tippint 'problem' could easily be fixed. Just be careful if you are using it as is!

-Andrew

Re:Motor stand 13 years 2 months ago #38979

Andrew, good heads up I forgot you had that problem with your "fatty" on there! :ohmy: Maybe a plate extender, kind of like a jack plate, for the bigger top heavy motors would do the trick to keep the weight forward of the upright more. Easy enough to make with some extra wood.

Bob

Re:Motor stand 13 years 2 months ago #39011

Genius. I've been scratching my head wondering whether to buy an expensive engine stand or build a questionable one. Your post reminds me I already have a car engine stand in the shed... D'oh!

Re:Motor stand 13 years 2 months ago #39945

• TallTexan
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Went to HF today as to check on stock of motor stands

Found that most stores keeps just 2 in inventory and there will be no rain checks for the tent sale

However the manager reminded me about the 30 days price guarantee....buy it now and the bring your receipt (and they have to be brought in on the days of the tent sale) and they will refund the difference

And here is a added bit spend a bit more and save a bit

Some stores (like the one I shop at) will let you stack coupons
Copy and print the coupons below

CAVU
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5500 guests and one member online