• Page:

TOPIC: Question- Re: cable pulley steering restoration

Question- Re: cable pulley steering restoration 13 years 2 months ago #38542

• jon_a
  • jon_a's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I was wondering, for those of you who are restoring outboard runabouts, where are you getting new coated cable for the cable pulley steering systems?

I have a boat I'm trying to get done and that's the last thing I need and I'm looking to see if there are any sources better than the dog run cable at Lowe's / Home Depot?

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Question- Re: cable pulley steering restoration 13 years 2 months ago #38550

Re: Question- Re: cable pulley steering restoration 13 years 4 weeks ago #43418

• sabot
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
go to ACE hardware they carrey just about any size you might need.
Good luck as I just did mine, on a 17' Admiral cabin crusier had to run both cable's down one side and across to the other side then align every thing fun-fun took me 3 day's
SABOT

Re: Question- Re: cable pulley steering restoration 13 years 4 weeks ago #43423

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Just did mine a month ago. Went to my local Doit Best center(lumberyard/hardware) and got it. It is just galvinized 3/16 coated cable. You can get two different ones usually. Both 3/16 OD but one has more wire in it and one more coating. I went with the heavy. I think I paid about $.17 per foot. tractor supply has it for $.70 per foot. It is also available in stainless, but i was not into the price. I think I bought 50' and used about 40' or so on my 16' boat. Pretty easy to rig up. Maybe take some pictures along the way when you dissassemble. My the way, those tension springs are simply storm door springs you can buy anywhere. Make sure you have them compressed about 1/3 to 1/2 the way when you are done. Funny story, when I got the Glastron done on its Maiden voyage, I had the steering pully wrapped the wrong way. Worked well but to turn right I had to turn the wheel left. Now that is a wierd feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Re: Question- Re: cable pulley steering restoration 13 years 2 weeks ago #44621

If you're not using stainless core cable, be sure to seal the cut ends with silicone sealer, or the equivalent. And, watch for any rust colored stains showing up near the cable ends. I've seen steel core cables break suddenly, and it can be hard to tell their condition from the outside. They may rust right under the clamp, for instance. In fact, I also recommend using stainless springs, screws, and all hardware for this job. The initial cost may be more, but you may never have to replace them again. My favorite story about steering cables was the time the local marina owner installed some new cables in a boat, and took it out for a spin. He took off at full throttle . Unfortunately, he had the cables on the steering wheel drum installed backwards, and the first turn he tried to make resulted in him running the boat into a dock. He then had considerable additional work to do on that boat ! ( But fortunately he wasn't injured).

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6003 guests and no members online