Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hydraulic steering

Hydraulic steering 13 years 2 months ago #38498

How difficult is it to install hydraulic steering in a small boat like my Power Cat 14T?

When you get a 20' kit, does that just mean it will go up to 20', you cut it to length? Or do you coil it up somewhere?

Any idea how would it hook to the steering attachment on my '63 Merc1000?

The least expensive one I can find is the Teleflex Baystar Hydraulic Steering System. Amazon has it for less than 500 bucks ( www.amazon.com/BAY-STAR-HYDRAULIC-STEERNG-KT/dp/B000FPY3Y4 ), and it says it's good to 150 h.p. Looks like it would fit under my dash, but any suggestions some of you guys have would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hydraulic steering 13 years 2 months ago #38510

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I read the product reviews from your link and it sounded very straightforward as far as installing. I also saw a ad for a 30' model at 197$ on that page and wonder why that is 300$ less than the 20'? I do not have the Hyd.Tel but my cable is routed out the port side which allows the bends to have more of a radius.If it came out the starboard side the bend would be to tight. Hydraulic lines can be coiled but must not have any kinks.IF it was me I would run it out the port side and have it gradually snake around under the deck to take up the excess length.Back to the price dif on 20' vs 30' I would look around or even buy the 30' to save 300 bucks and make one big coil under the deck,maybe even hang it from the underside of deck using the existing through deck cleat bolts as hangers.My other option would be to cut the 30' to size and have a hydraulic ftg. company put new ends on the one side for 30$? Check for company's in area, sometimes your local parts store will know someone that does it if you cannot find one in the yellow pages.High compression ftg's are common with snow plowers so they may be available as a DYI thing as well....

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Hydraulic steering 13 years 2 months ago #38514

The " single cable / push / pull " units are often called hydraulic steering by mistake.
Hydraulic steering requires more maintenance , but in saltwater there is always the fact that it usually does not seize from corrosion of a cable.

Re:Hydraulic steering 13 years 2 months ago #38523

Professor, is this a push-pull system?

www.amazon.com/BAY-STAR-HYDRAULIC-STEERNG-KT/dp/B000FPY3Y4

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.166 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7574 guests and 2 members online