Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Your must have amenities....?

Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38363

I am a new fiberglassic junkie and I was just curious about something. I am sure many of you try to restore many of the boats you work on to their original glory but I was curious...

What item, thing, additional touch or modern amenity do you add to every boat you work on that may or may not have been on the original boat.

ie...cd player, cb, drink holders, any must have electronics,etc

I am picking up my first boat on Monday and want to be sure to allow for these things. I think it might be nice to have a stereo but I thought putting it in an obscure location would be the ticket.

Thoughts?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38365

Anything you want in my opinion. In my Razorback fury I added new old stock drink olders, a cd player, a 13 1/2" stainless 5 spoke wheel with modern steering, carpet, and a ski tow bar. Instead of the orignal hardware I went with differnt style old school hardware that fit the period.

On my others since then I've added nothing really other than period corrct hardware, no stereo, etc. Mainly because I just wanted to go plain jane for a while. My only requirement for late model amenities is that they be tasteful, blend in well with the flow of the boat, and not just jump out glaring at you like a sore thumb. Bottom line is, if you like it, do it. It's your boat.
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38370

Stereo of some sort with iPod connection...

Can't be without my tunes!! ;)

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38382

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
In my oppion ..90% of the boats people restore might not end up being worth to most people the time and money that we put into them .If you Paid your self $7 a hour yould have to resell it for $10,0000 .L.O.L..Well maybe not that much .So unless its a very rare boat .. Make it you ...You want it a certain color Spray it that color .Want a CD player go for it ..Hell put a 8 track in her if that is your Gig .Fuzzy Dice hang them up ..Do what makes you happy .Your the one putting the Blood Sweat and tears into it ..Make it You !!

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38383

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
classicfins wrote:

Anything you want in my opinion. In my Razorback fury I added new old stock drink olders, a cd player, a 13 1/2" stainless 5 spoke wheel with modern steering, carpet, and a ski tow bar. Instead of the orignal hardware I went with differnt style old school hardware that fit the period.

On my others since then I've added nothing really other than period corrct hardware, no stereo, etc. Mainly because I just wanted to go plain jane for a while. My only requirement for late model amenities is that they be tasteful, blend in well with the flow of the boat, and not just jump out glaring at you like a sore thumb. Bottom line is, if you like it, do it. It's your boat.

Hey Classic where did you find those drink holders ?? Thier pretty cool .

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38402

Ebay.. new in the box. These are the older ones with the metal mounting bracket and not the plastic. I've got one pair left now... I need to start hunting for some more. They still turn up from time to time.
Doug
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38404

how bout a console...john gibson made this one for me. below the tach i'm mounting a vintage airguide clock.
Attachments:

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38407

Only thing original about mine is the hull and eye on the front.
Attachments:

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38416

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
If you're restoring to show and expect to compete or go for maximum resale value, you've got to keep it totally original. If you're doing it for yourself, to use and enjoy, there's nothing wrong with customizing it with the "creature comforts" of your choice, IMHO. I do like to see the boat maintain it's basic lines and appearance, in the case of a true "Glassic". Just my two cents worth. ;)

Mark

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38421

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
These days you can buy in dash setups that "look" period, [made to be used in vintage cars] that would be right at home in the dash of a glassic. Unless the boat is a high dollar, sought after collectable, I think most agree: make it your own.

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38427

I'm curious about the shiny gunnel trim in your razor. Original or a modification? I like it!

Re:Your must have amenities....? 13 years 2 months ago #38438

barry5of9 wrote:

I'm curious about the shiny gunnel trim in your razor. Original or a modification? I like it!

It's original, but Taco Marine manufactures it and other aluminum trim. This link will take you their website and the page with some of the extrusions. I believe mine were the 5/8" style.
Doug

tacomarine.com/cat--Aluminum--cat_aluminum_trim.html

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7635 guests and 2 members online