Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is?

Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38267

I had purchased this boat from an 84 yr old gentlman who couldn't remember what kind of boat it was. In the paperwork that he had given me I found a bill of sale from when the PO purchased it in '86 but all it said was that it was a '64 MFG fiberglass boat. I have not been able to find it in the MFG classic library and some seem to think it is something other than and MFG because of the lateral ribs and metal stringers. It measures about 12'6" in length and about 5' across. The DNR from the state of Ohio had to inspect it to give it what they called a "modern hull number". The tag that they had given me rated the boat at 20hp max and he said it looked like an MFG. I hope that someone out there might be able to help me identify it.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38269

welcome jon sob,i dont know what kind of boat it is ,but it looks close to the boat im trying to identify,maybe i should look in the mfg library,lol.as im looking for information on this boat ,i will keep an eye open for yours,john
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38276

I would say it is most certainly an MFG in the early 60's range. Very unique with there fiberglass molded hull to look like wooden lapstrake even down to the ribs etc. Here are some pics of one I used to have for comparison. You can also use to see original interior but note that the rear seat here is not original...original had wooden bench with aluminum arms running under bench and holding up wooden backs. Yours is a bit younger with plexi windshield replacing the wood/glass earlier ones.

Attachments:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38279

good eye tim,i didnt catch the lapstrake hull,lol,im loseing it,lol.
i also wouls think mfg,and if not then starcraft was big for lapstrake hulls.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38280

Look close at the inside of the hull/floor on both boats....no other manuf that I know had that same mold. I'd bet money on this one.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38281

Hey Tim ..... do you know if your boat had metal stringers?

Attachments:

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38284

Here is another Pic

Attachments:

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38285

The boat looks similar to some of the boats in the MFG library except for where the cap goes around to the transom.

Attachments:

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38288

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
JON: WELCOME, I would agree with B.F. & the prior owner that your
hull is a M.F.G. .In the library HISTORY it mentions a LYMAN laystrake hull was used for the Mold..!

John G.: There is no brochure for NEWMANN ( Miami , Ohio) ,I believe that may be a generatic shape , as is the SPEED QUEEN ,in Library for its splashwell. . STARCRAFT -ALUMINUM had the lapstrake horizontal stripes. , BUT a Starcraft fiberglass is quite close to your flat bed trailer hull you are showing. IMO

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38309

Yes it is a MFG. It was copied from a Lyman hull. This is early 60's. Check under Niagra or Westfield name for MFG.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38310

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
MFG For sure, look at the brochure for 1960-
www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/4/47/Mfgb60005.jpg

Looks like a 'Corry Carefree' to me... A honey of a care- free boat, With a Gay, Bright fiberglass deck!!!

Gotta love advertising copy from 'back then'...

I like those old MFGs... I'm looking for one- Just don't tell the wife :)

-Andrew

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38311

I agree if you look at the Corry Suburban there it is what mine started as. It once had a 44 mahogany deck on the front. The utility hull boat at the bottom is the same hull shell. It is actually about 12 1/2 foot. Here is mine.
Attachments:

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38324

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Here's my questions with it being a MFG. The chines are much more angular than a MFG. The ribs are wood according to a post on iboats and then molded into the hull. The MFG's ribs were made of glass and glued on top of the hull, at least in the Cambridge model. The MFG's did not have aluminum stringers and the wood one they had in that vintage was down the center line only..... Now looking at the Carefree does have me wondering if that was a stand alone mold made by MFG and not a copy or smaller version of the Niagara.So what we need is to find someone that has that model and see what they used for stingers and ribs.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38354

I once seen a Corry Suburban with metal where the keel was. It was newer than mine. Not sure if someone put it in there. Mine has a wooden keel inside and the ribs are all fiberglass. I don't have pics on this puter. I'll have to get on the other one.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38360

Ok everyone .... I stand corrected. I went out and really looked at the ribs in my boat and they are not wood they are fiberglass.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38362

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
...........MFG...............

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38367

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have no doubt that is a MFG correy carefree- look at the photo in the brochure that I linked above- same boat right down to where the cap joins the transom, as you show in your photo...

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38400

I think the mystery has been solved. I agree with andgott it sure looks like the Correy in that pic even the windshield and the hardware up front are exact. Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the input. If anyone come across a pic of one or if someone owns one I would really like to see it. Thanks again.

Jon

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38423

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Now that you know the make and model, can you go back to the DMV with a more accurate HP rating. I'd like to see horsepower in the 35 to 50 range... 20 seems a bit on the low side...

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38430

That is a good point ... I don't know if they would do that. I know the link that Andgott posted showed that it was rated up to 30hp. I'll have to look into that ..... thanks.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38568

Does anyone have a source for the vinyl insert for the rub rails?

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38570

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
There are several companies making those these days, here is one that comes to mind; www.tacomarine.com/cat--Flexible-Rub-Rail-with-Flexible-Insert--flex_rr_flex_insert.html

Mark

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38575

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
For older style profiles, You'll probably have to use Wefco-

www.wefcorubber.com/

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38585

Great ... Thanks Guys.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38586

I got a replacement rub rail insert for my MFG from Wefco. Pete was real helpful. I would recommend them anytime :laugh:

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38587

It should be rated for up to 30 hp.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38599

I am going to call the DNR on Monday and ask them why they rated it so low when they inspected it and gave me a new hull tag. At the time of the inspection I didn't know that my transom was rotted but he never told me anything about the transom being weak. I don't know if the condition of the transom has anything to do with the hp rating. I have since removed the rot and am getting ready to install a new transom soon.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38619

Capacity of 900 lbs too. If you want I can take a pic of my tag.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38655

Yes that would be good if you don't mind.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38658

I had this boat many years. The tags is on the inverted A frame on the transom. The 30 is the hp and the 4 is the number of passengers and the 900 is capacity. The rest is hard to see. Your boat and mine share the same hull. Your has a fiberglass where mine has an aluminum rail. Mine cane very similar. I'd say yours in newer. Mine is a 58. If this helps leave me know. It is basically the same boat hull.
Attachments:

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38691

I talked to the Ohio inspector and he said that my boat belonged to someone in Pa and the capacity tag was issued there and for some reason Pa used a formula to calculate the hp rating and mine was 20hp. Robert, I noticed that your tag was from Pa also so I don't know how one is 20hp and one is 30hp. Ohio said that if there is a capacity tag on the boat at the time of the inspection then they just go by that for the info.

Attachments:

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38696

The same hull with a tiller steer in a utility version is rated at 20 hp. Must be because of the weight and outboard in back vs outboard and driver in middle or front. The number on my tag is also the number on the side of the boat in Pa. I'm about 35 miles north of Pittsburgh.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38698

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
...JON..: Did not read all the posts in this thread... Many boats
before 1971 did not have company serial #'s.. Glasspars for one, was good about the model prefix # & serial # , etc.. This B.O.A.
tag is quite generatic & possible (?) could have been moved by a
prior owner off a smaller hull to get state paperwork .??. (JON'S boat pic is Not a Tiller ). Most likely a swapped serial # tag over the years.

Yes, I use to be in New York & as Frank knows can be strict.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 2 months ago #38711

Jon's in not a tiller but mine is now. It started as the same model as new. Pa issued the plates on the new boats back then. Mine looked much like the other one at one time. I've been using my boat for many years as a fishing boat. And believe me it does get used and abused. I had some of the hardware that was left in the boat from the cable / pulley steering. You can also see where the 44 inch mahogany deck was attached. I could convert mine back but I like it as is. I have the sales brochure stating the measurements and capacities of the different models here somewhere. I'd love to try it out with a 20-30 hp. Hell the 4 stroke 8 put it on plane. I still have that 25 hp Johnson. I might get it running and try it. My paperwork show the same dimensions for the tiller steer as the Corry Suburban. I'll see if I can find it tonight.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 1 month ago #40640

Talked to Pa fish and game and they said that they have a formula from the coast guard where they take a few different measurements from the boat and plug them into this coast guard site and it gives them the horse power ratings for the boat. That is how they came up with the rating on my capacity tag. I still don't understand how Robert has the same hull but his tag from them is rated at 30hp.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 1 month ago #41184

Can someone tell me if there is such a thing as marine grade wiring and if so where do you get it from? I need to wire the lights in my boat.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 1 month ago #41189

Most tiller models had all the weight in back including the operator. When you sit out front and drive the boat will sit in the water much different and handle much different with more weight out front.

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 1 month ago #41190

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
"Can someone tell me if there is such a thing as marine grade wiring and if so where do you get it from? I need to wire the lights in my boat."

Yes there is. Each strand of wire has a tin coating for extra corrosion resistance. Available at West Marine and lots listed on eBay.

Melanie

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 1 month ago #41233

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Melanie is "spot on" as usual Jon. Do a google search for "marine wire". There is a place (probably several) that wholesale to the public, out of Georgia I think. The name escapes me right now, boy is that happening alot lately! :unsure:

tinnedmarinewire.com/wire/

Also, check ebay motors, parts and accessories - boat section. There are often good deals there.

Mark

Re:Can someone tell me what kind of boat this is? 13 years 1 month ago #41284

Thanks Mark and Melanie for the info. Is there a certain gauge wire I should use for like the horn and lights?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.486 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6380 guests and one member online