Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I am new to FiberGlassics..need help

I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38211

Hello, I am getting ready to start on this fiberglass journey with my dad. We have a few boats we are eyeing. There is one in particular that I can get pretty inexpensively, however I want to make sure the floor is not too bad for first timmers.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38213

Any Help on this would be appreciated as to what might be needed for the floor in this boat.

Thanks
Jay

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38219

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
welcome to the website.
As everyone else will be wondering, what are you actually tackling?
Meaning brand and model of boat.
From what little I know, there is no floor and the stringers need attention...

Need to check stringers and transom for weakness or needing o replacement. Also when redoing it you usually follow a process or steps too...have been reading that you should not use Marine grade woods if fiberglassing over.

Lot of info here so be patient and someone will chime in.

I picked up runabout renovation off of Amazon and read it very informative.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38223

Jay .........

Not to rain on your parade, but I will venture to say this looks like a total restoration, from the hull up. With the wood gone as far as I can see, I think you might want to check the hull to see if it hasn't taken a "set" from whatever is it sitting on. If on a trailer, it may have some deformations which may be tough to remove.

As a first-time project, it looks like a real challenge. The cost of the boat will likely be the cheapest part of the rebuild.

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38239

Hi guys...thanks for the response. The boat is a 1959 Silverline 14'. Here is another image of it.
Attachments:

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38242

By the way, I was told it last ran 10 years ago. I guess I was concerned more with the stringers. I feel comfortable with redoing the transom and floor, but I was just not sure if the stringers looked beyond repair...and if they need repair, is there a how-to out there for that?

Thanks
Jay

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38243

If you have never done a floor/ stringer repair, I would strongly sugest you start with a easyer project as these can get very complicated. Good luck, Skip.

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38248

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
people are putting up boats and motors right now, its the season for sale ! you can probably find a much better canidate that is mor structurely sound...check out sea casts website too..not sure how everyone feels about the product but some good ideas there.

anyway good luck in you adveture..beat part of a project is the hunt.

Matt in Illinois

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38251

when i restore a boat i really love to see it at it worst stage in that way i know i have to replace everything and i know for sure the boat is nice and strong.
Attachments:

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38254

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey JD .. Welcome Aboard .. Im just wondering what type of work youve done before ?? If your comfortable doing a Transom you cant be a Complete Virgin ..L.O.L..That boats got a Nice old Merc on her ..The Biggest thing Ild say is what makes you go WOW I WANT THAT ONE ..If this boat does that for you and you have some common Knowledge and sense ... Go For It .If you like this boat because of Price maybe keep looking till you see one you Really Really want to own .This Hobby is kind of a Hobby of Love for old boats . If you pick a boat because its cheap and needs alot of work your probaully gonna give up on it .But if you see a boat that to you is totally cool Then you wont .If say your a painter and little other expierience with fiberglass you might want to find something that just needs cosmetic stuff . Youll find a bunch of good guys on here that will jump threw hoops to help each other . So whatever you chouse Feel free to ask for help .. Larry

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38265

Yes, get the book, Runabout Renovation!

Try to get one that is intact, even if it needs a new floor and transom. This way you will see how it originally went together.

I personally would not do one that someone else gave up on.
I do like the look of the one you posted though.

Get the proper safety equipment for working with fiberglass.
Read, read, and read some more!

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38277

hi jd ,and welcome,im with the other guys,i have all cheap junk boats in my yard now that im hoping to restore,but each one made me say wow!!
the very most important part of this whole project ,is you are doing it with your dad,i didnt get the chance to do that.before my dads death i wasnt into this hobby.

but i was lucky enough to do a boat with my future stepfather a great guy.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38306

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
i love this type of threads, puts me back on the right track of wanting to redo a boat and what I actually want...
I like the WOW! idea ....i've been looking for certain boats for certain HP rating...but have given up there...maybe this fall when it cools off i'll do some searching agin!

Matt in Illinois

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38335

OK, I took the advice of the majority and have opted for a different boat. While there could be a mess hiding under the floor or with the transome, this boat appears to require a bit less work then the original option. Here are the pics. It was advertised as a 1959 Crownline but I am not sure...Any thoughts on this boat?

Attachments:

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38336

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That one makes much more sense, IMHO! Good call,looks to be all there at least, and you get a Merc too! ;)

Here's the link to the FG Library section for Crownline;
www.fiberglassics.com/library/Crownline

Mark

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38337

Attachments:

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38338

Thanks for the advice...probably a bit to much work for my first one.

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38339

Yes probably a bit too much a take on for the first boat.

Clark Savage Jr wrote:

Jay .........

Not to rain on your parade, but I will venture to say this looks like a total restoration, from the hull up. With the wood gone as far as I can see, I think you might want to check the hull to see if it hasn't taken a "set" from whatever is it sitting on. If on a trailer, it may have some deformations which may be tough to remove.

As a first-time project, it looks like a real challenge. The cost of the boat will likely be the cheapest part of the rebuild.

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38340

jim18611865 wrote:

Yes, get the book, Runabout Renovation!

Try to get one that is intact, even if it needs a new floor and transom. This way you will see how it originally went together.

I personally would not do one that someone else gave up on.
I do like the look of the one you posted though.

Get the proper safety equipment for working with fiberglass.
Read, read, and read some more!

Thanks Jim, the book has been ordered and I should have it soon.

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38368

JD,
I'm with Mark, second boat is a much better one to start with and like he said you get a MERC!!!!

Bob

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38377

The second boat may have some hidden work, but it has so much going for it! Looks like the former owner(s) have taken some pride in outfitting it. I love those horns! There are so many thing that do not need a lot of work to make them usable, including the trailer. I wish mine looked that good.

I believe you have made a good choice.

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38380

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Thats not a bad looking boat JD .Its got some nice lines and a Merc . Looks like she might be a pretty easy hull to push so youll have a little speed ....L.O.L..If the transom is solid You could probaully put her in the water . If its got cable and Pully Steering check that over real good .Make sure its all solidly atached yet .Just beware Boats are addictive Cant have just one ..Learn on this one then down the road youll see one on Craigs list or Somebodys back yard that you gotta have that needs much and youll be ready for her .When you find that special boat thats just a eye sore to many You drag it home and the neighbors say WTF is he doing with that .Then you start working on it , feel like quiting but you just have to finish so you keep on keeping on .Then the day comes when its done and you take it to the gas station and people come over to look at it and they say Cool Boat ..You say I RESTORED THAT !!! Then you get to the Boat landing and everybody comes over to check it out ..I Built That !! Then you put your once Eye sore on the lake hit the throttle and she comes alive .. I Built that !! You drive past Poon toons and every body looks . They all got cookie cutter boats with Bank Payments and they wishing they had your Eye Sore ...L.O.L..I built that ..So welcome to the family and were here when you need us ..Larry

Re:I am new to FiberGlassics..need help 13 years 2 months ago #38386

Like Larry said, when you look at her you'll know it's because of your hard work she's restored. Ask questions and draw from the energy here. Well worth the hard work, nice choice for a project JD.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7568 guests and 2 members online