Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: My opinion on Official Boat Meets

My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37696

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Boat shows in the summer take way to long. Nice to look at the classics, but the show starts at 8-10:AM and ends at 4:pm. way too long on a 90 degree day.Landlocked untill 5:PM and just bored out of my mind after 12 o'clock..End it at 1 and let us dunk our boats. I especially feel for the ones that showed up with family and the kids are going into heat stroke mode..Looked at past winners trophy and man O man talk about the good ol boys club,same guy wins it 4 -5 years in a row?? My thoughts are ,you win it once and thats it.Keep it fresh and move on.Some guy had a reproduction boat and won it like 3-4 years in a row,,BS.Boat was a 2001 and motor the same year, are you kidding me? POS in my eyes.There is some positive aspects to the show,just think it could be improved by quite a bit.Why not have some sort of speed runs through a obstacle type course if you have to make it a 8 hour event.I can come up with more things to keep it interesting vs heavy boredom setting in. Guys you have to change with the times and my first "official" meet had me looking for the oxygen mask.Sorry if I am negative, but to keep it fresh and have new blood coming in you have to step up your game!! PS I am pushing 60,I can't imagine if your a "young gun" what might be going through your mind as you sit at one of these events.Probably, last time I blow a Saturday killing time looking at the same old wooden boats with the same winner year after year.By the way JAGS boat looked awesome, and in my eye was the best boat there by far,wood or glass!! I am sure some woody won it, back to the ol boys club,Should of hit him up for a ride, oh well...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37703

looks like the heat got to you john...thank heavens for the FGNE tent. by the time i got my boat in it was time to get it out and go to the dinner. never again will i register for a dinner unless it 8 or later. interupts the whole day. since it was your first show you should be advised that all acbs chapters don't judge the same way. the new wood repro boats don't belong in the classic awards imo. ron

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37745

I am not that much of a show person, myself. I will do one traveling show each year as well as the one at Mystic Seaport (4 miles from my house and I have been involved with the Seaport for years). I can understand John's frustration. A little extra stimulation would be a good thing. Have some activities for the kids (although the kids judging was great idea. They liked beeping my horn, but I lost to the boat with the "smallest bathroom ever".) Suggestions for walking tours of the nearby town. Schedule things on the water during the day.

These tend to be family events (or occur during family time). So it would be good to think about what to do with the whole family.

Also, a central point for activity would help. A big tent with a bunch of picnic tables and have the food, store and registration surround that cold help.

The event at the Buffalo Launch Club in September really have done a good job of this. There is always something going on. Time trials for race boats, kids activities, people giving rides, a 100 vintage and antique car show. Tough to take it all in.

One of the things I did learn is that I will always try to get dock space at future shows. The extra $15 at this show was worth it. You have to options of throwing off the dock lines and going for a cruise. After the parade, we did a cruise up the lake to the split. Well worth it.

I'm not trying to trash anybody. I've run large boat events before and I understand the work and hassle that goes into them. I'm just saying that there are some things beyond the boats that can help make an event successful.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37748

All shows are not the same. Some have lots of activities throughout the day. Some do not (obviously your experience). Some have cruises. Some have boat parades. Many have engine starts several times during the day. Some have great kids activities.

Judging varies show to show. I personally am not a fan of judging and awards.

And I totally agree that new, reporoduciton boats should not be judged in the same categories as vintage boats.

Give some other events a try. Talk to others and find out which shows may be up your alley. Don't give up because of a bad experience one day at one event.

Andreas

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37749

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I will attend future shows. My reference "probably last show" was what a younger attendee might be thinking.I was not trying to be over the top negative ,just pointing out the obvious at this event.Yep,next time I will get a dock space.I did enjoy talking to other Glassic guys.As pointed out all shows are not the same and maybe someone from Hammondsport will take some of this into consideration at there next event.More activities for all age groups as T pointed out.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37750

shows are never too long for me...i'd like to spend a whole week with the guys, maybe because at age 64, who knows how many i got left. you would of enjoyed where the dinner was held. it was in a museum featuring old aeronautical items,antique boats, bicycles,motorcycles,automobiles etc... it was awesome! ron

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37754

From the other side of things - I have been involved with planning and hosing meets and shows for many years. It's a VOLUNTEER effort. If you think things could be done better, offer to help out! Set up some events for the kiddies. Suggest a cruise or parade. Get involved!

Also, shows are all day for a reason. Nothing worse than being a potential spectator, getting your crew together, driving to the show, only to find the exhibitors have packed up and left after lunch! Many of these events are money makers for the host organizers - often a non-profit group, local ACBS chapter or the like.

Personally, as an exhibitor, I enjoy the all day affairs, as I enjoy the people I meet. Nothing like chatting old boats all day! Bring something interesting and you're never at a loss for people to talk with!

- Scott

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37769

Our local event held in Oct is Friday thru Sunday. Madisonville Wooden Boat Festival.org to check it out. It supports a museum here and packed all weekend if weather is ok. Plenty of boats, vendors, activities,car show, dinners, just packed with things to do.
I had my Owens there this year and it was on land. I brought it Thur to ensure a good spot. Picked it up Monday morn. You can get a water spot and do whatever you want also. I elected not to be judged but think I might have got something. Lots of people liked it and many more liked the Merc hanging off it. Had a great time..

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37804

shows are for people who like to look at their boats, not people who like to use their boats

same thing as car shows vs. drags or motorsports

what we need is what has happened to the car show culture, less "shows" and more "meets"

as in meet up, cruise, hang out, talk shit

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37814

I'd be up for that. I've tried to organize cruises at Candlewood Lake in western CT and a foliage cruise on the Connecticut River, but haven't had any takers.

One of the things that we seem to be doing, and perhaps a little sub-consciously, is to connect with ACBS and earn a little respect for fiberglass within their ranks. We have made some inroads, but there is still more to go ("preserved" is described by ACBS in their revised criteria as more than 65% of the original wood. The only wood on my Aqua Ray is the floor and the transom hatch door. Doesn't take a lot to lose 35%. There needs to be a fiberglass portion of that definition). They do have a structure that organizes things and we can get to go places and meet people we otherwise might have never have. I would not have been in Hammondsport this weekend if not for the show.

Classic cars are also way more popular than classic boats. Around here you can get 50 classic cars Monday night at Ocean Beach, but would be hard pressed to get more than 3 classic FG boats on a weekend.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37828

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
As volunteering goes,great idea,in my case just to far away to have any input.I am currently involved/volunteered with a MX organization and spend a minimum of 6 hours a month doing meetings and implementing rules.I will help out the local NCC/Fibrglassic crew.I plan on going to the Buffalo show and may request dock space and maybe even get judged this time.I wonder if any officials go there from Wine country? Maybe they could take notes if it as interactive as it is reported to be.
As far as making inroads/wakes with the ACBS I believe they need us as much as we need them.Lets face it a lot of the wood boats do not have much attraction with the younger set,the Glass does.It reminds me when snowboarding started.The old school skiers and resorts looked down on them with disdain.If it wasn't for them half the ski areas would be closed right now, period.Thats the same direction that many of these shows may go unless they open there eyes.We have all seen our share of old cool woodys but in my eyes the Queen of the Hammondsport show was JAGS Glassic.In the pics I believe the boat docked on the starboard side of JAGS is also a reproduction downeaster style cruiser,2009 or so,along with the Ravenues sp? on land and there 2003 v6 motors.Do they belong there? Sure but give them there own class to be scored and never in my opinion should any repro boat win best of.I do understand the fund raising and other side of why its done the way it is.A cruise meet sounds great but may have a hard time attracting a larger number of boats on that alone,maybe end the meet at 3 and do a group cruise. More enjoyable on a 90 degree day in the summer.I guess some of my thoughts were read into to be more negative than I intended them to be,sorry if I offeneded anyone, that was not my intent on the post..........JT

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37840

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I really enjoyed myself in spite of the heat. Yes, you should have hit me up for that ride, would have loved to have accommadated. we pulled in our drive at 5:45 EST, drove in a downpour around Cleaveland and Toledo, no cover on the boat but what the heck, its a boat! Was really good to finally shake some hands of many whom I only knew throught this board and a good time for sure for me and Julia. The Curtis Museum was fantastic and I'd really like to go back some day and spend more time takeing it all in. Thanks so much for all of these kind worrds about"Lida Rose", I will go out in the garage and tell her what you said, she will blush! Oh man, look at that beautiful lake! WOW!, can't get it out of my mind, what a wonderful spot for a show!!
JAG
Attachments:

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37856

It could of been worse, I got a VIP invite to the airshow here, so ...sorry of course I couldn't pass the blue's up..

ok so you know it was hot, 90 turns into 110 on a runway, which just happens to be where I found what I thought was a "safe" place to get out of the sun...people where dropping like flies, because the refill water buffalo's went empty, then the Venders ran out of water...

so I brought something home with me as a reminder not to sit under an aluminum air plane that is sitting on a marker strip...

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37863

except for the heat i enjoyed the show,and thought that jag and todds boats were the best boats there.
and as for judging ,it is a show,and after having a boat for 5 years and 3 years working on it to bring it back to life,i like to see what others think of it,even though the one judge said that the dash and splashwell cover were not originaly on the boat, i have the original ad to prove it.
the rest of the boat is what we wanted it to look like.

but i think terry holland did a great job,i know i kept bugging him for information starting months before the show,so i can only imagine how many emails and phone calls he had to answer.

but the thing i loved most was taking my wife(it was our 28th wedding anniversery),ed and my mom,and meeting the folks i only know by talking to them here,and also seeing and talking to all the fg folks,
thats the biggest reason we go,we love getting together with the fiberglassics family.

it was great to meet todd and his wife,jag,and john,and to see ron and sue,dave and laura,frank and gail again

and i loved the boat being judged by the kids,even though i lost points to one kid because my horn didnt go beep beep,lol,thanks todd you had to beep your horn for the kids,lol,lol.

the museum was unbelievable,it had so much in there for everyone,its worth the trip just to see it.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37864

JAG wrote:

I really enjoyed myself in spite of the heat. Yes, you should have hit me up for that ride, would have loved to have accommadated. we pulled in our drive at 5:45 EST, drove in a downpour around Cleaveland and Toledo, no cover on the boat but what the heck, its a boat! Was really good to finally shake some hands of many whom I only knew throught this board and a good time for sure for me and Julia. The Curtis Museum was fantastic and I'd really like to go back some day and spend more time takeing it all in. Thanks so much for all of these kind worrds about"Lida Rose", I will go out in the garage and tell her what you said, she will blush! Oh man, look at that beautiful lake! WOW!, can't get it out of my mind, what a wonderful spot for a show!!
JAG

you guys want to have that pic head the 2012 calendar.ron

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37866

I don't have a problem with it B)

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37867

well if john gives the o/k, thats our cover shot. a beautiful pic of 2 outstanding glassics...ron

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37872

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Fine with me. If wanted I will crop it a little where needed and send it to who wants it, just tell me where to send it.

JAG

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37874

Huston, Blues were the best in Phantoms...Made the last cruise w/F-4's on Ike in 83

Just realized it was the Forrestfire w/F-4's My last 2 cruises were the Ike

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37879

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Looks like it was a fun show- Sorry the heat was so oppressive! That makes ANYTHING outside a PAIN.

Judging and awards at these shows- Or any shows- is VERY subjective... It amazes me sometimes what boats win awards, often year after year, and what boats don't get anything. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the awards given out- I do think that those who put countless hours of their own labor into a restoration (John comes to mind :) ) should not be judged on the same plane as someone who can afford to just write a check for a 'perfect' restoration or original boat... But, that is often how it goes.

-Andrew

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37882

Andgott wrote:

Looks like it was a fun show- Sorry the heat was so oppressive! That makes ANYTHING outside a PAIN.

Judging and awards at these shows- Or any shows- is VERY subjective... It amazes me sometimes what boats win awards, often year after year, and what boats don't get anything. I'm not a huge fan of a lot of the awards given out- I do think that those who put countless hours of their own labor into a restoration (John comes to mind :) ) should not be judged on the same plane as someone who can afford to just write a check for a 'perfect' restoration or original boat... But, that is often how it goes.

-Andrew

i agree...the self-restorers should take precedence over the check writers, (and thats me).you guys who do all the hard work on these old boats deserve the praise. ron

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37883

john, send me a high resolution pic. thanks, ron

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37884

Our show (Antique Boat Museum's show in August) makes an effort to recognize the amateur restorer over the write-a-check folks. We make an effort, when judging, to keep that in mind when it comes down to seeing who wins what. Also, with the exception of the "People's Choice" award, no one boat can win more than one award.

We also have standing rules the keep the same boats from winning the same awards year after year. That doesn't mean a boat can't win a class award one year and a different award the next year, just that you won't win the same one year to year.

The devil is in the details. You'd be surprised how many people have a gorgeous looking boat but lose out on a trophy because they didn't do the little things. Present your boat – keep it neat. Make sure everything works - lights, horn, etc. Keep things period correct whenever possible (modern safety gear is okay - bilge pump, fire extinquishers, etc.) Skip the zip wire ties - use proper clamps! Ditch the plastic gas tanks! If you have an Evinrude on the boat, make sure it's plugged into an Evinrude tank!

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37919

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Here's the photo cropped a little, whats yah think?
JAG
Attachments:

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37929

i think the orig pic with the lake and mountain in the background would look better.

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37945

Can't post much from a phone. Different folks, different strokes. Gail & I have had an excellent time & will be back next year. Tried offering rides Sunday, no takers. At least Dave went out with me for the parade.

Frank

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37947

Another thing, we stayed for 3 days, participated in all the show stuff, while staying at the Keuka Lake State Park, one of the nicest state parks I've ever been at. Lots of stuff for kids to do here, including an unbelievable playground and great beach. I'll be tring to get a bunch of you to camp with us next year for the weekend. Take Friday off, get the tent out and have some fun.

Frank

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37964

TENT!!!...maybe we'll bring our trailer.
Attachments:

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37969

TENT!!!...maybe we'll bring our trailer.

Now I would pay 4 cents for a ride in that!

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37970

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yah I agree with you.The other ove would be better.
JAG

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #37979

just notice the picture(s) i want to post didn't...post so here is what I came home with....

would of like to have seen the poster on metal that ron had made.
Attachments:

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #38021

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It's wednesday and just back at the computer, and I can see why Mr 88 felt he needed to vent. Whenever judging is an option, I choose show only. I dont need another plastic trophy. I love talking old boats, but dont want to be judged on my accomplishments/attempts.

As for the shows being long, I suppose its all wht you try to make of it. Being new to the shows, I can see how someone would get bored. But even not being in the water, just being outside on a beautiful hot day, relaxing can be nice.[with lots of water and sunblock] There were plenty of people to meet and talk to, and believe it or not, most of the good ol guys at the hammondsport show were friendlier to us than at a local show at Harveys lake, pa, where some can be downright rude to non-wood boat owners.

Please dont give up on spending the entire day with the shows, just come prepared with alternative activities [and a bathing suit!], and spend a day relaxing, and chatting with those around.

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #38080

joenawlins, my ride was the JFK CVA 67, which is now up on the block as a donor, hopefully she goes to Boston.

it was announced earlier The new Gerald Ford Class Lead carrier that are being built, 79 will be named JFK!, the have begun building.

Re:My opinion on Official Boat Meets 13 years 2 months ago #38084

After many years of trying to please everyone, I have hit on what works best for me when I organize a meet. I don't host shows. I would love to attend one of the Midwest or Eastern shows, and going to Tahoe is always a treat. But for me, and my Old Boat Club friends - whe have "meets" We decide on a good location & we call a date to meet up & camp. Some of us use the snot out of our boats during these meets. Other folks just sort of lay low & sit around talking with friends all weekend. I like to keep it simnple. The weekends go too quick as it is. This year was the 2nd gathering I've hosted at Lake Shasta. I have kept the organized activities to a minimum - despite the objection of a few people. I host a BS session at my campsite on Friday evening, people bring a chair & their favorite drink. We share stories, photos of boats, etc. We see old friends, and meet new ones. We sometimes raffle off some boat related stuff to generate money for our club. We take a "picknic run" on Saturday, and on Saturday evening, we have a giant potluck. Everyone has a great time, and the boats are used to have fun - just as they were built to do. No "best of show", no trophies, etc. We do, on occasion, give an official "nod" to the person who has the most breakdowns in one weekend. It is just a "jab" for the fun of it. We all know who has the nicest & rarest boats - but we don't gauge the weekend on that. I actually have a fondness for "Rat Boats" (a cool classic that is in horrible shape, but is still in use) .. but that's just me.

All in all - it's is what the hobby means to you and how you want to spend your time. We like to have fun in beautiful settings & use our boats. We had about 16 boats at Shasta this year, and about 60 people total. In 2006, I hosted a run at Whiskeytown Lake where we fed over 80 people, and there were 28 classics on the shore. Personally, I've found that bigger is't always better. The meet in 2006 was too much. This year at Shasta was perfect. I suggest that if people don't want to do shows with the heavy hitters - go organize a campout. It is more fun anyway.

Bruce
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.292 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7666 guests and 2 members online