Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: What's the Most Cost Effective Way to Repower?

What's the Most Cost Effective Way to Repower? 13 years 2 months ago #37630

Assuming you're not set up to do the rebuild yourself.

Let's just say I wanted an American made two stroke 100 horse outboard with NOTHING WRONG WITH IT. Not the cheapest, but the best bang for the buck.

An Evinrude E-Tec 90 horse is $7500.

Remans with a 1 year warranty seem to run $4-5000.

Lower unit rebuild on an existing good running 100 horse is maybe $2000.

Motor would get less than 100 hours use per year.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:What's the Most Cost Effective Way to Repower? 13 years 2 months ago #37652

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
W.T. : Being in Mont you should find some sort of used rig with low hours on the motor.. Maybe a 10 - 15 yr old engine. GO for a test ride out on the water.. Buy the rig . SPLIT the combo apart, putting the newer engine on your classic & re - sell the donor boat,
with our without your old engine. . Any collectible hardware ,like a spotlight , resell on E-bay , Like my friend did last week, (Maybe another extra $125.!)

. Top cowl can always be painted to match your boat , or even modified to look retro back to the 50 's.(BLUE Boat pic below)

Used rigs always saves the state sales tax of brand new mtors.

Re:What's the Most Cost Effective Way to Repower? 13 years 2 months ago #37653

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Removing from an old boat is a cost effective way for sure, depending on what exactly you are looking for. I was content with an older motor, as long as it ran well. I was looking in the 50-90 hp range, and didn't want to spend more than $750.... It ended up costing me almost nothing.

After doing a lot of craigslist searching, I found a VERY strong, great running 1977 mercury 850. It was on a boat, so all the electrical & controls where there, in addition to steering. The guy wanted $600 for boat (it was a VERY tired 72 trihull), motor, & trailer. I talked him down to $500, and he even delivered it to me.

I removed the motor, and steering. The rotary helm & cable would have cost me $150 or so alone had I just bought a motor. The controls and cables also came off, along with the wiring harness. Remember, if you buy just a motor, you still need all this "stuff", which gets pricey.

I really lucked out- there was a nice vintage Iva-lite searchlight on the boat, that I promptly sold on eBay for $200.00! The stripped boat & trailer sold through craigslist for another $100. In the end, I paid $200, after you figure in the cost of wiring, controls, cables, & steering- so the total repower was basically free.

Of course it took some time/ effort, but well worth it!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.161 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7570 guests and 2 members online