Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pricing Help

Pricing Help 13 years 2 months ago #37327

Im looking to buy my first boat and have found a '61 Dorsett San Juan in relatively good shape. It has a '73 motor and trailer. I'm told it is seaworthy but has been sitting in the weeds for 2 years. The guy paid $2000 and has another $1000 in the engine and trailer. He's asking $2000.

Being new to this...is that a fair price?

Any advice would be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Pricing Help 13 years 2 months ago #37335

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome G. I love the old Dorsett's, and the San Juan is a beautiful craft for sure. The phrases of "sea-worthy" and "relatively good shape" normally don't normally coincide with one that's been "sitting in the weeds for two years" though. For that kind of money, I would want to take someone with me to check the boat out who has some experience with them and knows what to look for! Not sure where you're located, but we have some members here who would be glad to help you assess the purchase if you live nearby one of them. (Just my two cents worth, others may have different opinions here.) Pics would be helpful for now, welcome, and good luck with your endeavor! ;)

PS - Here's a page from the Glassics library that shows the factory brochure on that boat; www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/2/2c/Dorsettb61003.jpg

Mark

Re:Pricing Help 13 years 2 months ago #37336

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
G
Welcome.
There are alot of boats out there in that price range that are great boats and some that are not great boats. As Mark said, if you can get help looking it over you will be doing yourself a favor.
What he paid and what you pay may be miles apart. Do a little homework and use good judgement and you will be a very happy boat owner.
What motor?
Keep us posted and a get pictures, we just love pictures.
Good luck.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6589 guests and no members online