Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pricing Help

Pricing Help 13 years 2 months ago #37322

Im looking to buy my first boat and have found a '61 Dorsett San Juan in relatively good shape. It has a '73 motor and trailer. I'm told it is seaworthy but has been sitting in the weeds for 2 years. The guy paid $2000 and has another $1000 in the engine and trailer. He's asking $2000.

Being new to this...is that a fair price?

Any advice would be helpful.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Pricing Help 13 years 2 months ago #37341

The first thing would be the transom and floor. Floor itself isn't the problem. it is the structure underneath that is most likely bad if the floor is bad. If they are not good it is a big deal. pictures of course would help but we can't tell a bad transom from a picture. The way you can tell is to look for flexing when you pull on the motor. Put the motor down in it's running position and push on the lower unit with your foot. if it flexes the transom that is bad. You can also use a light hammer to tap on the transom. if it thuds that is a bad sign. start around anyplace that is drilled through the gelcoat. Drain plug and any hooks, handles or motor mounts. What kind of shape is the motor in? is it something you would keep on there? That can be a significant part of the purchase. Still might be a good deal just be aware.

Re:Pricing Help 13 years 2 months ago #37356

Thanks for the insight. I know there is not much information here as I can't actually get in to see the boat until next week for a good inspection...just a look through the fence and a quick chat with the owner who is on vacation...

Just wanted to know if $2000 was a ballpark figure for something that old (condition pending). This will be quite an experience...

Here is the one pic I have to keep the dream alive!
Attachments:

Re:Pricing Help 13 years 2 months ago #37381

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
what size horse power is the motor? You can put a $1000 into a motor and still have junk. I have seen it. What did his $1000 fix on the motor? Try to get some detailed photos of the boat, motor and trailer and post them. Do you have to re wire the boat is everything working? Is it clean and orderly? How does the owner appear to you? Clean and orderly?

If the boat is sea worthy (meaning all you have to do is buff it wax it, tune the motor and when you connect a good battery everything works) and you have reliable HP @ 75 and above (make sure he starts it for you) wave $800 to $1000 cash in front of him whatever you are comfortable with. If he says no then from there what is having this boat worth to you? Be sure he proves everything on the boat for you. Every dollar you give him is that much less you will have to get it useable and running again.

Motor
Water pump impeller, spark plugs, gear oil, carburetor kits, thermostat (if OMC) plus either your time or having to pay for someones time to tune it up. $300 and above

Trailer
do the lights work? How are the bearings (last time replaced)? How is the hardware on the trailer (fasteners for axle etc...) are the tires rotten? could also be $300 and above

A boat sitting out in a yard like this for 2 years will take quite a few steps backward from when it was last used. All the glass needs to be re-polished it is all hazed over. Trust me I love the Dorsett and they are getting rare but more details need to be provided to make a better judgement and it is up to the owner to show you the true condition of the boat. Ask for receipts and so on. Walk through it bounce check the floor and transom real good and be sure everything works.

Re:Pricing Help 13 years 2 months ago #37384

ofcourse, there is location and availability,but I agree with g3jim in my area I see them $800- 1000 running

if $1000 was just put into this motor, Im thinkin it better start and run well, or there's an issue

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.167 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6502 guests and no members online