Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1972 Classic Boat Inc. Model 190

1972 Classic Boat Inc. Model 190 13 years 2 months ago #36937

I just bought a 1972 Classic Boat Inc. Model 190 made in Roselle,Illinois. It is all original including the 165hp mercrusier sterndrive. I bought it from a friend of mine that bought it brand new in '72. I was just looking for some info on the manufacter as there is not much online about them. Also looking for how many were produced and may be still around. Here's a pic
[img]
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1972 Classic Boat Inc. Model 190 13 years 2 months ago #36988

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like she's in pretty decent shape too, very cool finding a one owner boat like that. Would love to see more pics, and welcome aboard.

Mark

Re:1972 Classic Boat Inc. Model 190 13 years 2 months ago #37015

Classic Boats, Inc. was one of the many boat firms that was operated by Robert F. Smith of the Chicago area.

He and his brother owned a marine dealership (Smith Marine) in the Berwyn area in the 1960s. They along with their father purchased Dunphy Boat Corp. of Oshkosh, WI in 1963 and quickly drove it into the ground.

About 1970 Smith Marine opened another dealership at Sequoit Harbor near Antioch. He also started Classic Boats, Inc. about that time, manufacturing fiberglass boats. I have no clue how long they lasted.

Smith purchased Sea Sprite Boat Co. at Crescent City, IL on Friday the 13th of April 1984. Melvin Redeker, the seller, never got paid in full.

Smith eventually had his fingers in many other boat building firms which he operated under the umbrella of United Marine Corporation, including Moomba, Skier's Choice, Sea Sprite, Sea Raider, Cheetah, Renken, and others. Mark Twain may have been one of them.

Smith filed for chapter XI bankruptcy on 25 April 2002 with $97 million in claims against him and his businesses!

I have never seen literature of Classic Boats, Inc. nor do I know how many boats they built.

Andreas

Re:1972 Classic Boat Inc. Model 190 13 years 2 months ago #37111

That is some interesting info I didn't know about, thanks. All I know is the boat is heavy and seems to be well constructed. I've got a bit of interior work to do and a buff of the gel coat n I'm golden.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6511 guests and no members online