Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH?

1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36598

• LF76
  • LF76's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Found a 1968 Glastron center console not sure of the model, it was made in Austin. It has a 68 Evinrude 40hp ES this was in great shape and tried to fire up in a bucket. Cables, wires everthing looked great.
I got a price of 200.00,is this motor worth the investment?
The boat needs transom and floor (total rebuild). Trailer was there needs paint and new tires soon.
Please reply quickly the deal will not last long!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36609

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
200 for boat/motor/trailer,,seems okay to me. The transom repair looks like you will have to pop the lid or use the pourable method.Is it worth it? are you up to putting some time into it? Trailers go for 1-200 all day and the motor with controls if running and has good compression is worth 3-500 as well.Do you want a project or are you looking to flip it for a small profit.If your asking after I restore it will I be able to sell it for a profit,,probably not.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36689

• LF76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I was wondering about the motor. Are these known for having any major problems? With the electric shift I was a little leery. I have a 1960 Lido waiting her turn for rehab. And that motor would look great on her. The rest would be scrape unless a Glastron dude would wanted a project.
Two transom / floor jobs a century is all I will allow myself. One has to pace themself on how much fun they have. :S

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36693

I too personally shy away from the Electric Shift OMC gear. Too many times someone did not use the proper LU gear lube and the solenoids etc suffer. That said there are thousands Im sure still out there running like a top.

I would say if you can at least verify good compression it should be worth while gamble for $200. If it ends up toast it is very easy to tear apart and part out the good stuff and you'll get decent money in scrap for the rest of the aluminum(best money if you take the time to separate the steel(some bolts etc) from the aluminum)

Good luck with your decision

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36695

With regards to the electric shift if it currently works you should have no problem, just use the correct lower unit oil. The pushbuttons on the control tend to get worn and have poor connection. If these are all right no worries. The controls are getting harder to get and parts for the switch are impossible. There is an access plate on the side of the exhaust tower that you can remove and expose the 3 wires that run to the gear box. An ohmmeter will tell you if the solenoids are ok.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36696

With regards to the electric shift if it currently works you should have no problem, just use the correct lower unit oil. The pushbuttons on the control tend to get worn and have poor connection. If these are all right no worries. The controls are getting harder to get and parts for the switch are impossible. There is an access plate on the side of the exhaust tower that you can remove and expose the 3 wires that run to the gear box. An ohmmeter will tell you if the solenoids are ok.

Remember, my opinion in no way diminishes your opinion, nor yours mine. Collectively, there is a middle ground that is \\\"correct\\\" for the reader balancing all the input.

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36697

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36698

The electric shift on my 1966 Evinrude 100 HP works great.

Andreas

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36715

Electric shift is magic stuff, well engineered and reliable.

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36721

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I have two electric shifts. I would not trade them for a manual. They shift fast with absolutely no fuss. you use the correct oil like has been said, No problem..

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36768

• LF76
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank You all very much.
I have never delt with the E.S. and had no clue what I was looking at or even how to inspect it.
Thanks for all the great advice, I was on a fence yesterday kicking myself one minute then thinking maybe I did the right thing the next.
Looks like I'll be headed out to check out the shifter's solenoids and wiring this morning. Might even drag this old bird home!
I'm taking my own battery. She fired a couple of times Thursday when the owner turn her over before his battery went south.
There is a small lake on the way home. I'm thinking a little fresh gas and oil might get this old Evinrude to start! B)

Thanks Again! Randy

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36774

If you understand the electric shift then you have a different opinion than those who are puzzled as soon as " electric " is mentioned.
Make sure the generator is installed and working as that is a key component of the system.
Those motor often have cracked ignition coils ( unless recently replaced ) so that also needs to be checked.
They are not solenoids !! , just electro magnets.
With key " on " put it in gear.
Prop should " drag " one way and lock up turned the other way.----Electric shift is good and reliable.

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36783

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
LF76 wrote:

Thank You all very much.
I have never delt with the E.S. and had no clue what I was looking at or even how to inspect it.
Thanks for all the great advice, I was on a fence yesterday kicking myself one minute then thinking maybe I did the right thing the next.
Looks like I'll be headed out to check out the shifter's solenoids and wiring this morning. Might even drag this old bird home!
I'm taking my own battery. She fired a couple of times Thursday when the owner turn her over before his battery went south.
There is a small lake on the way home. I'm thinking a little fresh gas and oil might get this old Evinrude to start! B)

Thanks Again! Randy

Randy, before you try it out in the lake make sure it's got a good water pump impeller and will not disintegrate and clog up your cooling system. The way I check out the electric shift on my stuff is 1st remove the coil wire from the coil.. 2nd hook a battery up to it.. 3rd turn the switch on and then put the shifter in forward and try to rotate the prop backwards .. It should be "in gear" and lock solid to the driveshaft/powerhead. To check reverse, put it in reverse and try to rotate the prop forward. Should lock. It don't do the forward spring/electromagnet any good to rotate the prop forward when shifted in forward(hard on the forward spring when twisting it backward).my2cents

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36815

Turning it with a bit of " drag " does not bother it one bit.

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36820

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
professor wrote:

Turning it with a bit of " drag " does not bother it one bit.

Might not bother it but it don't do it any good either :P

Re:1968 Evinrude 40hp Electric Shift WHAT'S IT WORTH? 13 years 2 months ago #36876

Will not do any harm at all.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.208 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6498 guests and no members online