Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Finally got the old transom out. Yea!

Finally got the old transom out. Yea! 13 years 2 months ago #36448

Today I finally resumed work on the transom replacement in my 16' Evinrude Sport. I chewed on it a little bit with my new Harbor Freight Tools 14" electric chainsaw, then chipped a couple of pieces out with a hammer and chisel.

Just out of curiosity, I drove a long chisel into the top rear corner of the plywood. I pried on it a bit and, to my great surprise, the remaining left third of the wood popped loose and lifted out.

Spurred on by this success, I tried again on the right side, which was still in one piece - the other full half of the transom wood. I thought I felt a little give to it, but the chisel was too short to get any real leverage. I grabbed a 24" crowbar and drove one end into the top rear corner of the plywood. As I pulled down on the bar, trying to pop the plywood loose and up through the slot I had cut in the transom cap, I thought I heard another "pop".

Suddenly the remainder of the transom broke free and rose out of the slot, like Venus Ascending Above the Waves" or whatever the title to that painting may be. I grabbed hold of the wood and lifted it out to the tune of "Whee".

Now, as soon as I can figure out how to vacuum out the shred of wood in that deep slot, I can make a cardboard pattern and cut out the new transom wood. Whee!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Finally got the old transom out. Yea! 13 years 2 months ago #36454

Nicely done Clark, keep up the good work.

Bob

Re:Finally got the old transom out. Yea! 13 years 2 months ago #36465

I bet,cha ya can't do it again. Don't you just love it when a job works out well.

Re:Finally got the old transom out. Yea! 13 years 2 months ago #36466

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I was 'lucky'- The only tool I needed to get my transom out of the Glasspar was a SHOP VAC....

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.818 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7530 guests and no members online