Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New toy

New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36441

Got it off craigslist today. Wonder how I get it registered in NY for use with a motor? Has NY#s on it (from '05!), but without a transferable registration, not sure I want to tell DMV that!

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36445

hmmm...good fishin canoe. maybe a mark55 to hang on the back!

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36452

Nice find Frank. I'm with Ron! :woohoo:

Bob

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36494

Really huh guys, a Mark55? I was thinking my electric trolling motor.

Frank

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36499

I thought there was no such thing as too much power! ;)

Bob

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36503

That was when I was younger Bob... :laugh:

Frank

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36506

with a 55 that would looklike a missle.
Attachments:

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36510

nice frank,i had 17 footer ,double end canoe,i used to paddle it,until my back and shoulder problems,then i made a bracket to hold the trolling motor over the starbord side,wow it was nice and peacful,your going to love it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36517

Here you to Frank.

jc.activeoutdoorsolutions.com/wihf_ivrs/app/goHome.do

Just went thru this process for a boat I picked up with no registration. Fill out the info...pay your fee and a brand new Wisconsin Registration will arrive in your mail box in about 5-6 days. Then I took it into DMV and low and behold they provided me with a valid NY state boat regi (transferable even much to the surprise of the clerk).

Good luck with it.
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36551

That's a strange website Tim. I thought maybe it would be from Wisconsin DMV, but "activeoutdoorsolutions"?

Looks like I'll be able to get it registered tomorrow here anyways.

Thanks,

Frank

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36556

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
One of my customers is also in the Coast Guard.He tells me that very shortly all watercraft,which includes kayaks,jon boats,paddle boats etc, will be required to be registered.Last week they recieved a call from the Canadian guard which had spotted a kayak in USA waters off the Toronto/Ontario border.So now they have to send a chopper and plane up along with the boats doing a pattern search.They find it a few hours later with no life preserver in it and wonder if someone is swimming for their life in Lake Ontario.They spotted a tag in the kayak from the store where it was bought from.Get in touch with store,they look up who bought it.Coasties call him up,he had tied it to his boat in Wilson Harbor NY and the line came free,did not even now it was missing.So how much cash was spent looking for this guy. Now with a Reg # and a quick phone call,you have saved countless man hours and taxpayers money.
I had thought registering these small boats was a money grab but after hearing this I now see it in a different light.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36578

I don't have a problem registering it John, as long as I can! I'd rather have any watercraft registered.

Frank

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36675

Turns out our new toy is a 1983 model, and is now registered in yours truly's name.

Need to do a little work on it, not much. Picked up letters & #s for it, only one little problem - I only bought enough for one side, lol! Back to Lowe's I go...

Frank

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36677

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Lettering shop around the corner does both sides in any font for 10$, cheaper than what they want for the indivdual numbers

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36681

Doing it this way for both sides is 8 bucks John, so I don't feel too bad.

See ya next weekend!

Frank

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36687

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Frank how did you get it Registered? Just curious...

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #36690

Glad to hear you got it registered Frank. In regards to the link I provided. If you look at the top left of the web page it says Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources.

And again...it worked like a charm for me here in NY and was so much easier than getting a new HID or filing for a lost registration or salvage boat or whatever else is necessary without a valid registration.

This state amazes me. Even though my mid 50's little mahogany ply beauty as NY reg numbers on it(having been last registered in 2000) they can't provide me any information from their system. I can understand not giving me the persons name or personal info but I certainly would like to know what the make and year of the boat was reported as. They are good at taking your money but not much good for anything else.

Good luck with the canoe and have fun.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #37035

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow Tim I just used that site for my Utility.. I feel dirty, and Have fears for my Personal information... but I hope it works.... Very easy to use but I didn't see any form or security for our info... I think I will watch all my accounts etc like a hawk...
Jesse

Re:New toy 13 years 2 months ago #37584

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well Thats cool! Less than a week and I have a real live Genuine Registration for my Utility! Very cool!

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #44457

Hi- looks like this process will work for boats under 16ft. I just tried to do this for my 17ft and they want additional documentation - manufacturers statement of origin?

Any idea what to do for a trailer ? NJ wants more the a bill of sale

Jim

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #44534

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Jim- I'd find a shorter tape measure :)

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #44861

I second the shorter tape measure. You can always submit a correction to the registration when you renew it once you get it titled where you want it.

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #44873

Ok guys I trie to register a boat at the Wis site and can't get past the custemer record part. So how do you do it. If you have to send me and Email on the how to.
Mike aka The pirate

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #44884

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Mike you need to create a new record so you can then call up that record to add your boat to. I only did it once and dont recall exaclty what the process was.

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #44951

You can create a customer id online also.

I actually just registered my G3 in Wis. State of Il was giving me a hard time because the PO never titled it in his name and had his info on the title.

Edit: I cant find where you can do it online. I registered in person 4-5 yrs ago at a Wi DNR office (a truck stop believe it or not) so I have always been in the system.

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #44956

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I'm glad to hear one state is cooperative with boaters. I just spoke with PA Fish and Boat Commission yesterday about the Hydrodyne I just picked up.

The woman I spoke with was so negative it wasn't funny. She kept going back to "the person you got the boat from should have gotten paperwork from the person who gave them the boat and trailer." OK, well, I should have been born rich and good looking but that didn't happen either. For the third time I tried to explain that I had a bill of sale and would like to register the boat after I finish the restoration. She immediately jumped to the assumption that someone probably stole the boat and trailer and my story of the boat being given to the guy I got it from could never be believed. So much for being an honest person. I'll probably just restore the boat and take it to another, friendlier, state to get a title and registration.

In two years my last son in school will graduate and the wife and I are looking to move down south, probably North Carolina. At this point, I'd move to hell to get out of this police state.

Sorry to be negative guys. There is a terrific group of people here and I jjst wanted to share my experience with another one of PA's over-zealous enforcement agencies.

Take care everyone!

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #44975

Sounds frighteningly similar to New York!

Frank

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #44977

Pennsylvania likes its money. I once got back on my 6% sales tax and let me tell you, you'd be better of owing the Mob. If you go through the Pa. Fish Commission and the boat is on your property you can title it as an abandoned boat. The trailer is another story. A guy bought a trailer off my boy and took the tag and put it on another trailer. He put it on Craigslist as a trailer his father maid years ago without a title. I called him on it and said that that's funny, that trailer belonged to my Son just a few months ago. I didn't turn him in but it is pretty common. Ohio has no trailer registration and many boat came from Ohio with trailers without a title. All mine are legal but I know a few that I would wonder about.

Re:New toy 13 years 2 weeks ago #45001

• Paul
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
If you're putting a Mk 55 on it, just be safe and make sure it has a tiller handle on it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.280 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6361 guests and one member online