Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: gave my 16 year old nephew a boat.

gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36231

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
at my birthday get together satuday,my 16 year old nephew who is a darn good fisherman,asked if i knew of any small boats going cheap,i told him yep for free,i have the one that i got just for the 59 golden jubilee,its a great little boat,i dont know what it is ,but it would be perfect for 2 kids to use on the hp restrictd lakes around here.he is going to use a trolling motor untili find a good 10 hp or so,
it will be fantastic to restore it with him,he is my ,almost 6 foot tall little buddy,lol.
and its also going to be great to have another glasshead in the family.his mom is going to drop him off at about noon everyday ,im going to show him what to do,and stll work on one of my boats.but the hard stuff i will do,but try to show him as much as i can.
heres the boat ,it doesnt look great now but just wait until hes done with it,im pretty excited to help him get his own boat,all we will need is a trailer now.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36238

Teach them young I say.My boys had their first cars when they were 14.

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36239

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You're a good man, John. Your nephew is very lucky to have you as his mentor, looking forward to seeing the updates.

Mark

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36246

John, that is FANTASTIC. I'm sure he will treasure it-and it will be nice to have someone younger to take over gardianship of these gems. Keep us posted on the progress.

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36249

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you,when he was just a toodler ,i made a walnut rocking chair and hand carved oak leaves and acorns into it,he loved it so much he still has it,hes saving it forever,lol,its great to see a kid appreciate such things.
hes a great young man,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36254

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
That is awesome. I love it when today's kid's have a good thought about the past or what has been given them. Appreciation. Such a simple yet important thing. Happy 4th. You are a great uncle!
Jim

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36255

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you jim,i cant have kids,he means alot to my wife and me,i want to be the best uncle i can be.
im pretty proud of him,hes one of the best fishermen i ever knew,and all around great sportsman.
he said it doesnt matter what the boat looks like (i think hejust didnt want to put extra work on me,,lol),but it does to me,lol,i want him to have a cool looking little boat,i cant wait till we get started on both boats,they might be painted to match,ill just get extra paint when i do mine.john

---Mark Twain

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36270

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Your a Good Man John ..16 is a tought age .So many different roads you can take at that age that will effect your future good and bad .He is blessed to have a Uncle that cares .

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36288

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
geez thanks,i think im blushing,lol,and its a great compliment.
i do it because this young man appreciates what is done for him,he wants to be an electriction,so i thought it was a good idea to have him help me wire my garage,he did great,and i know he will work his butt off on this boat,john

i hope he gets the bug too,lol.

---Mark Twain

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36298

John, you are the man!!!! That is awesome what your doing for him, another Karma Point for you for sure. I'm sure he'll appreciate what your doing. If he pays attention, which I'm sure he will, he'll become quite the restorer too! What a great learning experience. I only wish I could have done mine with my son. your a good man.

Bob

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36307

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bob,i too wish thst we both could have done a restoration with your son,i know for a fact he was great guy,just because he was your son! john

---Mark Twain

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36309

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Ive got a 35 HP Evinrude he can have if he wants it ..Been sitting for years ran good back then .It turns over and has good Squeaze ..Where you live at John ?? It looks alot like the one hanging on the boat in your Picture

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 3 months ago #36321

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bobo,i think there may be a good distance from me,im in indiana pa,that sure is a great offer,but the lakes close to us are 10 hp or less,we usually run 9.9 hp with 15 hp carbs,lol

your a good guy bobo i thank you from the bottom of my heart for the offer.

and if you have a golden jubille ,i would hang on to it if i were you,its a good ,and sought after motor,john

---Mark Twain

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 2 months ago #36883

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
well,we are almost done with the sunray,i was then going to get one of my boats started for restoration,but after thinking about it i have some blue teal and green teal paint.
i think i will start on my nephews boat instead and use the paint on it,and start my boats next year.

there was a fellow that was going to take the lido and gator trailer,but i havent heard from him,so im going to use the gator trailer for my nephews boat,then all he will need is a trolling motor to start then,a small gas motor when i find one,that he can afford.
the lido is going to get scrapped.
i want to work on it with my nephew ,i want him to have the coolest fishing boat on the lake,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 2 months ago #36899

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
john;
sounds like he will have the coolest lil boat on the lake....can't wait to see pics....things like this I hope I can do with my son...he's only 4 so we have a few years.....a garage isn't a place to park your truck or boat...it's a place to bond and build memories.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 2 months ago #36911

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
matt,you are right,after im done working on my nephew ,andrews boat,i will put some time aside for my 2 other younger nephews and my little neice,i am a lucky guy.
i hope you get to have the great memories with your son as i have with my nephews and neice.they are alot of fun,it keeps me going,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 2 months ago #36950

John, sounds like a good plan, want to see lots of pics as you go of course!

Bob

Re:gave my 16 year old nephew a boat. 13 years 2 months ago #36975

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
yep....lots of pics...including the maiden voyage !

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.213 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6567 guests and no members online