Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: General "'Glassing" Question, Need some Guidance

General "'Glassing" Question, Need some Guidance 13 years 3 months ago #36194

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Up to this point in my project, I've been using layup resin (poly) since I will be overlaying with more biaxial/mat and finish (waxed)resin shortly.
1 - When using waxed resin, what is the time frame for additional layers before you have to sand and/or acetone to remove the wax?
2 - Is sanding essential, or would a wipe down with acetone be sufficient?

I'm kinda getting the hang of this, but being a novice at it I'm a little leery of screwing up! Thanks in advance for any info offered. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re: General "'Glassing" Question, Need some Guidance 13 years 3 months ago #36203

Mark,

I didn't add wax until the very last coat. Then it sat for a few months until I could get back to it to prime with a epoxy primer and then coat with Interlux Perfection with non-skid added.

You probably don't want to wait 2 months to put on finish coats so acetone would remove the wax, I believe. Also, light sanding and possibly a power wash may help.

When not using wax, ie, putting layers on, I didn't prep as the last coat was tacky. One trick I learned is if you are going to walk on tacky fg coated cloth is to use some wax paper on your shoes: you won't stick.

Hello, World!!

Re:General "'Glassing" Question, Need some Guidance 13 years 3 months ago #36205

• MarkS
Thanks Ken, I appreciate the info. I've used almost a gallon of layup resin so far, and have two gallons of pre-waxed resin ready to go in the garage. Tomorrow I hope to get the stringers capped, but don't know if I'll get to laying the additional 'glass in the hull between the stringers I plan to add for strength.

Mark

Re:General "'Glassing" Question, Need some Guidance 13 years 3 months ago #36251

Mark , you can keep laying up so long as the waxed resin remains tacky , after it cures you need to break out the 36 to 40 grit sander / grinder to continue glassing .

Re:General "'Glassing" Question, Need some Guidance 13 years 3 months ago #36259

mark,it looks like your in good hands,all great advice from ken and gil,im working on and experiment with resin now,ill let everyone know if it works,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:General "'Glassing" Question, Need some Guidance 13 years 3 months ago #36267

• MarkS
Thanks Gil, John. I got the stringers capped and had to quit for the day. Between my back giving me problems again, and the temp going up faster than Conrad's tach, it's time to take it easy for a while. Even with reducing the amount of hardener, at these temps the resin kicks so fast! I'll pick up some more 36 grit flapper discs this week, maybe get some more glassing done next weekend. 'Preciate the help guys. ;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7498 guests and no members online