• Page:

TOPIC: The Triumvirate Is Complete

The Triumvirate Is Complete 13 years 3 months ago #36086

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
As in I now have a Lumi to go with my mahogany ply and Custom Craft Glass.

Went to look at a motor yesterday and came home with a classic Boat/Motor/Trailer package.

So I saw a CL ad for a 63 Merc 35hp for $150 earlier in the week. Emailed assuming maybe being first responder as it was just minutes after it was posted. After not hearing anything for a couple days I had written it off as gone.

Then the phone rings yesterday and it was the guy(doesn't check emails often). After a short discussion I said I was on my way and would be there directly(1.5 hour drive). When I get there I see it is mounted on a cute classic(65) Mirro-Craft aluminum boat sitting on a '66 Gator trailer. Boat had a sign taped to side (Boat.Motor.Trailer $400)

Said he had bought the boat because he wanted a bigger trailer for his nice 17' Aluminum boat.

We talked about the motor for a bit and he says I really just want this outta here... how about $300 for everything. When I heard he had paperwork I just couldn't resist.

Condition:
Trailer...great shape but for missing one fender. Newer paint, and all new working wiring and lights. Tires great etc.

Boat...obviously needing a facelift to cover up the last darker blue paint job.(Probably go with original Mirro-Craft Turquoise Blue. Windshield is missing. Seats are gone(interesting back-to-back combination originally I see in some brochures of the 14' Ski-n-Troll and Sportsman model. Transom ply is a little bowed back from the Merc(probably replace).

Merc...haven't looked at yet but he said he cleaned carbs and had it running pretty good. DIY'er configuration with solenoid bolted outside motor to transom(needs replacing-said he had to jump the posts to start). Original controls there but wiring harness and ignition/choke gone as ignition and choke button are on the dash and wired back thru some conduit to solenoid and motor). Also thottle/shift cable way to long with a big loop along the gunwall.

So there you have it...another project lined up with all my others still half-assed finished. What was I thinking?

Have a great holiday all.

And Oh Yea...this guy told me he once bought a Brand New Custom Craft Sunray from the factory in Buffalo on the river. He didn't have pics nor knew where it went after he sold it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:The Triumvirate Is Complete 13 years 3 months ago #36099

My dad had a 1975 16' Mirro Ski-n-Troll. It was a great boat. We had a lot of fun with it.

Re:The Triumvirate Is Complete 13 years 3 months ago #36108

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Nice.

I've always got my eyes open for an aluminum boat, too (don't tell the wife!), just to even out the collection a bit...

Nice trailer, too!

-Andrew

Re:The Triumvirate Is Complete 13 years 2 months ago #36342

Maybe I've got his SunRay...lol...
Attachments:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:The Triumvirate Is Complete 13 years 2 months ago #36370

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
You very well could have it Dave...I am sure it stayed in the area. I don't have an email for him or I would send it.

As for the Mirror Craft.. I got the motor fired up. He said the solenoid was bad so I picked up a new one. Turned out it just needed grounding. Wasn't pumping of course so I replaced the impeller (not fins on it...of course). She's running rough so next I'll have to pull of the carb and rebuild and hope it is not the issue Thom mentioned with the crappy coils on these engines. If I get her working well I may just swap this shorty over to the CC Sea Ray and put the old 58 Johnson 35 on this boat???? All these projects and the poor CC still sits waiting for prime and paint.

Got the motor off the boat and have her flipped over for painting. Decided to forget about going ugly original tourquoise blue and am just going to use good old Rustoleum Hammered Aluminum. It is very forgiving with old remnants of paint and turns out really nice on an aluminum boats. I may even have a windshield lined up.

The strange back=to-back seat setup will be another story to replace.

I'll post more pics when I make some progress. Was going to paint bottom tonight but read second coat should be applied within 4 hrs or after 7 days so I will get at it early in the morning.

Sure is nice to have a boat you can handle by hand pulling off trailer and flipping over alone.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:The Triumvirate Is Complete 13 years 2 months ago #36386

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Nice score Tim.

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:The Triumvirate Is Complete 13 years 2 months ago #36439

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks Neil.

Progress today....decided to forgo the original tourquoise Mirro-Craft color(not a fan) so I went to my standby when I have to paint over a painted aluminum (Rustoleum Hammered Silver)

Yesterday:

Today:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.509 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7066 guests and no members online