Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Decision time

Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #35888

Awesome site... this is my first post and first glass boat..

Well I've put off the next stage of my budget project. I bought this shell for $50 with the idea to just patch the bottom and make it float. just the minimum to get it on the reservoir with a trolling motor. but once i started sanding i couldn't stop..:) now all the primary bottom is scuffed and i am considering putting a fabric epoxy skin over the entire bottom.... gel coat and all...
I got the cloth free and have left over poxy.

In the area that is sanded through the gel coat, the original skin has come loose from the wet wood. i thought about attaching my vacuum to a one inch hole in the hull for a day to try to draw out as much moisture as I can then patch and add new skin. It might take years to dry out completely if i waited on that to skin it... i guess..?

Over all the boat seems quite solid (rock solid transom) and mostly original except the PO cut out the front deck..!!! original interior white with black splash finish with few blemish's.... no hardware or seats..

Sort of worth the effort just to make it a floater... but not sure if i would be committing some heinous crime if i do this..

it is a 1961 Norris craft. I know there is no single solution to this.. but drop some comments if you feel like it..:)

thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #35892

Its your boat - do what ever you wish. I will caution you against spending money and time on this hull though. Because the front deck was cut out, the boat is of no value to any collector. It likely isn't even safe to use, because the front deck gave the boat a lot of structural stability that it no longer has. Take a little time & look around for a more worthy project - they are everywhere once you start looking. If you need practice on your fiberglassing skills, this might be a good project. Other than that, I encourage you to look for a better prospect. They can often be had for free or very little money - less than it will take to fix the one you have.

Good Luck,

Bruce

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #35903

thanks for the insight Bruce... just what i am in need of.. hmmm compromised hull integrity without a deck... that would not be a good thing.. might have to reconsider..:)

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #35907

suttree,i have to agree with bruce,you have lost some of the boats streangth,its a shame really it looked like a nice boat,i bought a trailer that still has a boat on it that is cut like that one but someone put in a fishing deck on it,im probably going to end up giving the guy the 50 bucks for the boat and junking it.
if you hang around here long enough we will help you find a better boat at a good price ,if not free.
where do you live? im in pa and have a glaspar lido that is complete ,but needs the transom finished,along with a good paintjob,its free with a trailer,the trailer needs a spring,at least it wouldnt be comprimized in the safty dept.after the transom is in.
if you live close enough ,i could help you put in a new transom.
im willing to help paint it too,its great to get new guys into these old boats.
it doesnt matter where you live if not close to me im sure someone else will help get you going,with a boat they no longer need.
and we will be here to help you along,john,p.s. now dont get too excited about the lido it does need alot of work.but it could be a nice boat.i was going to fix it up and i had half of the transom out hen i found a cutter jet deville,i couldnt afford much,but soon thanks to the fantastic folks here,i now have 3 great boats to finish,thanks to my fg friends.john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #35909

Now my 58 MFG once had a 44 inch mahogany deck on it up front. It is plenty strong without it. But It is a very solid built boat everywhere else. It also came new as a utility type boat without a deck. If it does not seem strong I would not put to much into it. I can't see the boat and I'm not there. That Larson John is a pretty solid hull and with that deck it should be strong enough. If you just want a fishing boat it will do the deed.I know I could not venture in 6 inch deep water with it. I would be sitting on the sandbar. Does the hull flex if you push on the front. I seen a few boats that did without their deck. You can pick some of these boats up for just a few bucks.

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #35926

yeah the larson is a very strong boat,i got the trailer a little dude,now i need to get rid of the boat.but your right it is heavy,the boat i just picked up for the motor is the one for shallow areas,john
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #35929

here is the lido and gator trailer,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #36000

As much as I do like Norris Crafts, and the rarity of them, there is no real value gained in doing the work to your boat. Unless you wanted to just make it strong to put a motor on it and putt around..... I know I probably would not have touched mine if it had the front cut out, and I certainly would never have done as much work to it. These guys on here are great and you can find a lot better for the money. That Lido looks sweet!

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #36003

thanks norris,its free to any member on here,with the gator trailer,it was going to get restored by me,until i ended up with too many boats,according to my wife,lol,if anyone is interested ,its in indiana,pa,email me ill send more pics,i would have liked to give it to suttree,it would have made a good starter boat,and he had the enthusiasm to work on it,but i havent seen him post again,i hope we didnt hurt his feelings,he was excited and i put a damper on that.darn.john This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

---Mark Twain

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #36010

hey ya'll..!!
some darn nice folks here... just got back to the puter..

John: thanks for the offer on your boat..and whats way more important: your time.. if i were closer i'd definitely consider it, but i'm in ga. None of my coworkers / friends apparently have the visual handicap i have in seeing something valuable these old glass boats... glad there is a support group for this..!!:) Sweet looking lido..!

I work at an Airline company that does a great deal of big composite work and have been there for years. i am actually a machinist. i think i feel comfortable enough to say that i am able to see the strength of this hull and it seems to be very stout. when i bought it we rolled it over a time or two and there was zero flex. while working on the bottom, i have been sitting all over the hull... zero flex.. i think i could jump up and down on this thing and have little to no flex.. i wish i had an interior pic to show the bench's and front V buildup..

The missing deck issue may be more of a sticking point for ya'll because of the "collector harm" that has been done... while i don't like it either, it's not a killer for me.. as long as it will be generally safe... i have considered a heart pine deck. i have a stack of 100 year old HP siding ready for the planer.
i hate the thought of squandering time and materials though.. just to make something float..

the curves of this hull also were part of the reason it hooked me.. i'm also no great fisherman.. just like was mentioned... just want to putt around in something other than the typical john boat and maybe wet a line while there..

thanks to all for the input. it helps greatly to hear all sides.. where i work, one of the running jokes is, you leave your feelings at the door and put your helmet on..! not that anyone here has been anything less than completely friendly...

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #36033

glad to hear from you suttree,i think your boat will work fine for fishing and just enjoying yourself,i bought a small boat for the golden jubilee motor ,but i am thinking it would be a great low horse power boat for my local lakes with 20 hp restrictions,so i guess im looking for a very cheap 9.9 or so.
i like working on these old classics,but i love to fish too.

yeah i wish you were closer too,i give ya a hand,but it sounds like you dont need it,but now i can say i have another good friend,thanks ,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #36204

Suttree, I'm going to take a little different tack that the rest of the crowd. That is a sweet looking boat with some cool graphics. The cut out deck makes it useless as a restoration, but I would look at putting a deck back on it and pimp the thing up. It could be a great ride. Not every 57 Chevy is a Barrett-Jackson ready restoration, but there are some great street rods out there. Start looking at hot rod designs from the late 50s to mid 60s and get some ideas. Then plan on the restoration for the next boat, if you want.Good Luck.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Decision time 13 years 3 months ago #36322

thanks for the input Tudor... your ideas pretty closley match mine... although at this point, im not quite ready to go custom... but i still very much have the view that all boats don't need to be returned to their original glory.. a little creativity and originality works fine for me.. as long as i'm not damaging something that has been well preserved..

BTW.. the white graphics are in the gelcoat... when you look from the inside, the graphics show by letting a little light through .. in one little area.. this was new to me..

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.259 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7387 guests and no members online