Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down?

Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35763

• larrychase
  • larrychase's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I have always trailered my boats with the outboard locked "UP". The theory was that it would not hit on the ground when going over dips in the road. This required that I had different methods of holding the outboard up and keeping it in place. Some methods worked better than others. I was always concerned that by putting the motor up, I was creating additional stress on the transom.

On my latest boat I am choosing to leave the motor "DOWN". Now I am considering having the boat sit a couple of inches higher on the trailer, or maybe putting a "drag rail" on the back end of the trailer to protect the bottom of the motor when going over dips.

Any thoughts on this? Both pro and con? What method do you use?

Thanks in advance for any response, Larry in Boise, Idaho (home of the Blue Turf ... Go BSU Broncos). B)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Larry Chase in Idaho

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35764

Hey Larry,

Nice looking rig. It looks like you have quite a bit of clearance under that little Merc now. One option would be a "transom saver" which is a bar(some are spring-loaded) where you prop the motor up a desired high and a rubber crutch holds the leg of the motor and another one hooks onto the back of the trailer or over the last center roller etc.

Btw...nice job on the TeeNee restore. I gotta find me some of those classic wheels/hubs for mine when I restore it.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35779

always up with a transom saver to take the stress off the boat.

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35786

jetboat wrote:

always up with a transom saver to take the stress off the boat.

Ditto

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35788

Does not "up" with a transom saver put less stress on the transom because you are getting the center of gravity of the motor more centered on the transom?

I always thought so.

Andreas

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35802

Transom saver Ditto, unless your like me. I drive a couple miles and back into the water. My outboard is small, only 8 hp. I only fish with it. I have a 25 hp that I may sell or fix. If I would use it I would put a saver on it. My boat has enough space under the outboard and I only go a few miles and It is driven carefully by me. If I had an outboard of any great weight I would not want that bouncing around on a boat on a bumpy road without a transom saver.

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35805

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Is the transom saver crutch better than tilting the motor forward and locking it in place?

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35819

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Don't know if its right or wrong but I always leave it down. but its just a 50 HP. I have never had an issue with it to this point... Always had a sail boat before that and we always trailed that with the motor down as well... Just how I grew up really..

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35824

thompsonboat wrote:

Does not "up" with a transom saver put less stress on the transom because you are getting the center of gravity of the motor more centered on the transom?

I always thought so.

Andreas

Yea you are correct Andreas... by lifting the motor up it is more balanced and with the transom saver and just enough down weight it avoids the bouncing when the motor is just locked in the up"trailer" position. At least my theory.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35853

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Lets see if I can explain. The motor is fastened to the transom at the bracket only. Locked up or down, the weight of the motor is bearing on the bracket- now drive on a bumpy road. The mass of the motor is bouncing against that bracket and stressing the transom. Ever drove behind a towed boat and seen how much the motor bounced when a bump was hit? Now add a transom saver. Now the motor is prevented from bouncing due to an additional anchor point. Much more secure, much less stress on the transom AND motor.

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35857

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Up. Locked and supported. Wheel straight. Prop covered if you can.
I have seen props with dings and even pieces missing from flying debris. It just makes sense to protect boat/transom/motor/prop while transporting.
Just my thoughts.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35859

Always up with a transom saver and a trailering cover.
Attachments:

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35871

The damage to your transom occurs when the weight of the outboard is moving,(bouncing) around even a little is not good. It may take years to do any damage but once the movement increases the damage is done. My transom is made from a truss system looking like an inverted A. It is solid but before When my wooden keel was getting soft it did move slightly but only with the outboard on. Once I replaced the guilty bad section of keel at the back it was fine. This type of damage can be missed if you don't regularly check the transom over. Mine is visible and not encased and it is easy to check. Have friend pull on the outboard while watching for any movement.

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35872

I haven't used a transom saver, but it looks like a good idea. I Googled it and there seem to be two types, one which supports the load on the boat and another on the trailer. Any thoughts on which is best? Any issues using these on vintage trailers? Any good designs that would work with a vintage trailer?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35874

transom saver is a must in my book.......ron
Attachments:

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35878

Well mine sits in the shed with the motor up. It has to be up to get in and out due to the ramp in the front of the shed. When I bring her out I drop the motor. I havent' had any problems so far. My dad and grandfather both always left the motor down, sitting or transporting. Still the original transom from 1960 with a '59 Evinrude Fat Fifty on it. It's also a very smooth ride from the house to the launch site right now so no bouncing issues.

just my 2 cents.

Bob

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35885

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
thetudor wrote;

there seem to be two types, one which supports the load on the boat and another on the trailer. Any thoughts on which is best? Any issues using these on vintage trailers?

Todd, I personally think the ones that brace against the trailer or keel roller are preferable, it takes more stress off the transom.

The issue with a lot of vintage trailers is the lack of a cross brace at or keel roller at the very back. (ie;Holsclaw, probably others too). You may have to fabricate a brace/bracket/whatever to mount the "saver" to down there, but well worth the effort, IMO.

Mark

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35886

• bogman
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I'd say the stress created during towing is way less than actually running the boat, so if the transom can't handle towing the boat shouldn't be in the water....my 2 cents ;)

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35899

• larrychase
  • larrychase's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow, thanks for all of the responses. On this little "fishing" boat I will not worry too much about the "hanging" motor ... it is only a couple of miles to the old fishing hole!

But this discussion will make me think hard about my next project, the "Swept Away" RedFish with twin Mercs.

Thanks again, Larry in Idaho
Attachments:

Larry Chase in Idaho

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35901

Oh Guys, you are the greatest. We're almost finished with the restoration of our first outboard-and had no idea about transom savers. As our journey always includes nearly 2 miles of gravel mountain roads this information is a transom saver.

Larry will you post photos of your Redfish restoration? Would love to see.

Jerri

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35910

I have a '59 Thompson Sea Lancer and one of the first things I did was buy a transom saver. I think the weight of the motor bouncing and twisting on the transom is harder on the boat than the torque of the motor being used. The bar keeps the motor from bouncing and transfers some of the weight to the trailer. There is also the possibility of breaking your tilt lock with the motor bouncing when you hit bumps in the road. Just MHO.
Bill

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35912

Bumps can put a ton of strain on an outboard. I once was forced into the ditch with mine and the bounce was severe enough to break both tie-down straps. They were only a few years old. All was well I used the bow line to tie down till I was home. I did have to tighten the bolts in my inverted A transom.No cracks but it was loose. A transom saver may have made a big difference. It could happen to anyone. Be prepared.

Re:Do you trailer your outboard Up or Down? 13 years 3 months ago #35947

Add me to the transom saver team. I can't think of a better way and for 30 bucks it's cheap insurance.Just remember to put your motor down when parked in cold weather.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.298 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7324 guests and no members online