• Page:

TOPIC: Help, need a prop!

Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35681

• DaveK
  • DaveK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My '57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35 is all restored and ready to push my restored 14ft. molded plywood Wolverine. I sent the prop in to get rebuilt and just got the ph. call that the hub has spun and the prop is junk. I need a prop. What would be a good prop for this boat? I have not had either this motor or this boat in the water so I am clueless what to buy. The boat is said to weigh around 325-350lbs and has a relatively flat bottom. The passenger weight will be a max of 4 adults, but usually only 2. Any ideas of who, what or where is the prop company I need to call and the size of prop which would be good?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35684

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
What was it to begin with? What does the prop shop rec.? Short of using a tach and having a base pitch to work with it is all a guessing game.I would think that the stock setup would work since it is pushing the same vintage boat and not some newer 18' heavy fiberglass boat.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35685

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
The prop I sent in, I was told by the prop people, was a 10 3/8 x 11 1/2. The only prop that they have that would fit this motor at all is 10 3/8 x 12. You are right, it is a guessing game to me, that is what I am asking. I just don't have a clue. Naturally since they only have this one prop to see me, is it the best prop or just one that they have to sell?

This boat rig I am putting together. It came with a newer '87 Johnson 30hp motor that also has different RPM abilities. I wanted a boat that matched what I had back in the day as a kid. I sold the Johnson and bought the '57 Evinrude to restore, which it is now. So I restored the '58 Wolverine boat and now the motor. My goal was to get it in the water over the July 4th. But between me being not as fast working on the boat as would like and now the prop problem. I am probably a week+ away from the water. Thanks for the reply.

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35687

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
No prop problem,buy the 12" the difference is minimal,if any.Worst caes scenario you have a back up,but the odds are that 12" will work great.Thats what I would do,then fill up with gas, enjoy the 4th on the water in your very cool new old ride and don't forget to grin from ear to ear as your parading around!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35688

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I see you live in Ohio,there has to be a marine store within a hours drive that would have a prop,if the shop that you sent it to cannot get you the new one by Friday. I have items UPS'd to me all the time from Wisconsin,normal UPS not 2 day guarentee.I put a order in today and will get it Thursday,I live in NY.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35689

Hey I would love to see some pics of your restored ply and the motor for that matter. I have an unknown molded mahogany ply that is all original and not needing much work(of course I have not touched it since I found it in a horse stable last April....so it goes) but I am always interested in the ply boats. The motor for that matter also...I have a 58 Johnson 35 that goes with a 57 Custom Craft that runs but could certainly use a freshening up if I ever finish the boat :-).

Sorry no help with the prop.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35704

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I hope to have pictures real soon. I do have some now, but..... I am so close to finishing, I would hate to post them now. I was putting the outside hull trim on tonight and will finish that tomorrow. I was hoping to have the new deck finished, but it still needs some wet sanding before going to the final coat. I need that to cure, before placing the windshield on. I have fit this windshield with it's new gasket (what a PIA to get on!) and the new chrome on the stanchions. I am Soooooo close to finished. The motor is together, but I had been doing other things allowing time for the paint to get a little tougher before placing the new decals and badges and replated emblems on. Looks like I may not need a prop this weekend after all. I am just so close though.

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35707

You can post here www.aomci.org
These guys KNOW everything about vintage motor and parts.

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35721

10-3/8 X 12 will be fine if the engine is in good shape. Expect a top speed of 25-28 MPH with just you in the boat & maybe another small adult. Power to plane out should be adequate. Be sure to carry an extra shear pin, cotter pin, and nose cone. A spare propeller is something every boat should have on board.

Go to Propco marine on the web, they have a good selection of pin drive props at fair prices.

Bruce

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35722

I just ck'd the map,your just to far to drive. Im just N of Indy In Noblesville IN, I have several and no motor to use them on........pm me if you want, I would just give them to ya.

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35746

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Bruce,I did look at Propco on the web. Is that thier own prop they are selling? Thanks

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35748

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Ponyboy, PM sent.......Thanks

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35755

You can get your prop re-hubbed, maybe not at the shop that has it now, but other shops do it. I have used New England Propeller in Plymouth MA for vintage props.
I just went through the search for props for a `57 Lark myself. Like others said, the 10 3/8 X 12 should be a good match for your setup. The choices for 3 blade props for this engine range from about 10 1/4 X 9 to a 10 3/8 X 15.
I am using a 10 3/8 X 14 on a 250lb, 2 person aluminum boat.

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35780

RE Propco:

I don't know if they make the props themselves or if they have a vendor making them. I have ordered from them many times & the quality has been fine. Thje props look like an exact copy of OMC/Michigan products

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35812

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
As far as re hub goes it is a crapshoot.The props that age are brittle and when they put the new hubs in more often than not they break the housing.Just happened to me on a 1973 unit.This was tried at a shop that has been around for 25 years.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Help, need a prop! 13 years 3 months ago #35870

i had my 62 bronze prop re-hubbed 4 yrs. ago by grubb's marine in pennsylvania...$50. ron

Re:Help, need a prop! 10 years 1 month ago #99969

• l98tpi
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I know this is an old thread but I will add this for those that come later.

Yes, re hubbing an old aluminum prop is a crap shoot, quality of the casting, skills of the installer. They can crack when the rubber is compressed pressing it in. If it does crack and you have to eat the cost, keep it and salvage the hub for later use the next prop my not crack. Bronze props on the other hand are much tougher stuff and rarely crack when re hubbing (according to the local prop guy) and are worth a bunch more $$$ so rebuilding is worth it.

Boats: 76 Chrysler Conqueror S3, 61 Larson Playmate. Outboards: 76 Chrysler 105, 70 Chrysler 70, 57 Evinrude Bigtwin 35, 80 Johnson 35 looper, 74 Chrysler 45, 67 Mercury 650SS, and others.

Re:Help, need a prop! 10 years 1 month ago #99971

• VinTin
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Bruce Gerard wrote:

RE Propco:

I don't know if they make the props themselves or if they have a vendor making them. I have ordered from them many times & the quality has been fine. Thje props look like an exact copy of OMC/Michigan products

I've been in PropCo's foundry room and have seen large tubs of just cast props before they have even been smoothed up a bit. Peter told me he use to make some of OMC's OEM props years ago.

I was just at the shop in Monroe GA last week.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online