Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: freeing steering cable

freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35548

Im closing in on having my gw water ready but the steering is ungodly tight. Its a rack and pinion system not a pull pull. Any ideas on how to lube the cable? I already greesed it at the 1 zyrt near the motor. No matter how much I work it back and forth, it doesnt want to free up.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35549

Can you take it off and soak it in kerosene. I done that many a time with enclosed cables.

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35551

not sure how... I think its supposed to stop raining tomorrow and Ill crawl under the dash and look.

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35580

I've used the following method on a non boat but similar cable setup. First, get some cheap transmission fluid. Second, some how get a hypodermic syringe w/ needle. Longer the better. Using the syringe filled with ATF slowly inject a conservative amount through the beginning of the sheave(sp?). The ATF will find it's way down the inside of the sheave. Meanwhile work the cable back and forth. That's all I got. Good luck.

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35591

I crawled up under the dash and I cant see anyway to disconnect it from the rack.

I think the needle idea would work but, where to get one.

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35598

Yeah I forgot to mention this issue. I have a dentist friend who I asked and received. You might try someone that's diabetic etc.. This was an issue come to think about it but I simply asked around. My dentist friend supplied a syringe with a 2in needle which worked out better. Regarding access, you can always try going in from reverse. In other words work from the back to forward.

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35600

New Steering cable for a 14' boat $129.50
A drivers life..........

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35626

Ponyboy wrote:

New Steering cable for a 14' boat $129.50
A drivers life..........

I concur! I had a rack cable (original, 30-year old system) lock up on me, at night, crossing the St. Lawrence Seaway channel! Ended up disconnecting at the motor and steering the motor by hand - rather bear hug - to get home!

If your steering systems is the least bit questionable, replace it. CHEAP insurance!

- Scott

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35628

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
PLEASE listen to the guys here Jetboat, they have your best interest (translates - SAFETY) at heart! Even if it delays your project a week or two while you get the funds together, it just isn't worth taking a chance, IMHO. ;)

Mark

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35639

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
probably not but just figured I throw this out, there isn't a steering lock on it? I have one on my ArrowGlass... kind of nice for towinging.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35643

I have a second steering system I borrowed from my tahiti... Its in perfect working order.

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35677

Nort trying to be a wise a$$, but have you diconnected the cable from the motor??? Most motors have a tension adjustment on the tower under the powerhead that could be set too tight. Try a little 50-50 acetone and atf to loosen up the pivot section on the tower.

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35679

Ditto on replacement steering cable. They are available on ebay all the time. The cable is likely rusted inside the sheath - near the far end. The inner cable is NOT stainless & the strands rust. Once they rust, the cable quits being flexible at the rusted area & it will fatigue and break. This is very common. If there is room under the dash, you could put a Teleflex No Feedback II rotary under the dash. This box "locks out" torque steer & heps the boat stay on course. I put one in my boat & it works great, thoug the tightness of the steering takes a bit to get used to. Just realize that if a steering cable breaks when the boat is at full throttle, the engine will slam against the transom due to the motor torque. If you are underway when this happens, the boat will be forced into a severe turn - and likely - throw the passengers & skipper out of the boat. That would, at least, ruin your day - & it could kill you.

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35727

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Bruce Gerard wrote:

Ditto on replacement steering cable. They are available on ebay all the time. The cable is likely rusted inside the sheath - near the far end. The inner cable is NOT stainless & the strands rust. Once they rust, the cable quits being flexible at the rusted area & it will fatigue and break. This is very common. If there is room under the dash, you could put a Teleflex No Feedback II rotary under the dash. This box "locks out" torque steer & heps the boat stay on course. I put one in my boat & it works great, thoug the tightness of the steering takes a bit to get used to. Just realize that if a steering cable breaks when the boat is at full throttle, the engine will slam against the transom due to the motor torque. If you are underway when this happens, the boat will be forced into a severe turn - and likely - throw the passengers & skipper out of the boat. That would, at least, ruin your day - & it could kill you.

Amen .. I had a old cable and pulley steering system on a Old boat .One of the pulleys pulled free from the Hull .Instant Full throttle MAX turn .Luckily I had my hand on the throttle and shut it down .I spent $30 on Charmin and ruined a good set of Levis on that one .

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35732

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
now thats a vision and picture all in one !!
trying to figure out though why were you in Jeans and not board shorts? lol

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35735

bobo,must be oldfashioned like me,i dont wear shorts often,and one time when i did my brother in law asked what are those white strings hanging down from my shorts...he was talking about my legs,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35737

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
matt wrote:

now thats a vision and picture all in one !!
trying to figure out though why were you in Jeans and not board shorts? lol

Well a guy I knew had a used car Dealership .He had a CRAP row out back .There was a Big ugly Red boat called a Clipper .On the back was this White 70 hp Merc Tower .I wanted the Tower and the trailer .He told me somebody traded that boat in and hadnt run in years and the salvage guys was coming today to buy what was ever back there .I said can I take it to the lake just to see if it starts and Ild buy it if it did ..Sure ..I ran home and grabbed a gas tank and towed it to the lake ..I threw a battery in it primed her up and hit the key .. It started so fast it almost scared me .With the Old Merc sitting there growling at me and being young and dumb I had to take it for a ride .My brother inlaw hopped in and off we go .Thing just hauled ARSE ...L.O.L..BUT the top was shaking and rattleing . MY B inlaw did a Scotty Star Trek imatation ..She Cant Stand The Power Captain ... Shes Gonna BLOW ...I took a left turn at speed and the rear pully Let louse. It slamed me against the side and Just about threw him out .Luckily I hit the throttle and killed it .I took it back and told my dealer Buddy what happened .He said I could have it for what he had into it ... $50 ..So $50 ..Carmin ..And a pair of Jeans wasnt a bad deal for that Motor ...L.O.L..Even had Tilt and trim .I put it on a Old Hydrostream and ran the heck out of it till one day I hit a submerged Pylon from a old bridge on the river at W.O.T ..Destroyed the lower unit and threw a Rod ..Ever here a Tower run Wide open due to lack of a prop for maybe 8 to 10 seconds ?? It sounded like one of those COX Airplane engines ..Sure wish I hadnt killed it and she was with me now ..

Re:freeing steering cable 13 years 3 months ago #35762

Im looking at new steering systems... problem is it means the boat will likely not see the water this year. The wife has been laid off since Jan and I am overspent on this so, it will have to sit until either she gets a job or something gets sold (and noone is buying anything). I cant say I'm not dissapointed but, the prospect of snapping the steering at 60mph in a tiny boat doesnt appeal to me.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.209 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6611 guests and no members online