TOPIC: Something that can sink any boat - divorce

Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35539

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Wife wants a divorce.
She wants to share the boat, and we'd park it at our house.
But I don't know if thats going to work.
She doesn't know how to take care of it, although she has learned how to take the boat out, launch it, etc. Then again, I am no maintenace expert either. The apartment/condo has an enclosed garage, I am going to take some measurements and see if it will fit.
No specific advice sought, although I would assume that if I wanted to sell the boat, doing it during boating season would be the best time. This is more of a venting post.
I don't particularly want to sell the boat. I'm pretty fond of it, and with it being a fairly rare boat, I don't want it to go away. :(

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35542

no good will come of sharing a boat with a EX IMHO
one of you need to buy the other out...sorry to hear things didnt work out

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35550

"sell" it to someone for some stupid low figure like $500, give her 50% then 6 months later "buy" the boat back. Just an idea...

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35554

Man o man, I am so sorry to hear that. Both the other responses are good advice.

Frank

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35556

since you come here and not her I assume its mainly your hobby thats become hers aswell?

sadly, just as kids get used, wanting the boat is probably just a weapon, insist, sharing is not an option, pick a fair price & tell her she has to buy it & its maintenance to use it period.

Im thinking you get your boat for the fair price and trade it off for some silver tea service crap you dont care for in the division of properties
Ive been here before...

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35562

Been there. Done that.

I'll save you some time and aggravation. Sharing ain't gonna work.

Buy something else, sell it to her, sell it to a friend... whatever. Don't try to share.

196? Glasspar G3
1976 Hydrostream Vector
1979 CeeBee Avenger
1986 Hydrostream Varmint
1989 Glastron Carlson CSS-19
2007 Stingray 220SX

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35568

amigoid,i dont have the words to tell you how sorry i am,for you both,i dont know what to tell you about the boat,but you do have my support,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35576

Been down that road myself - no boat though. My advice is either you get it, she gets it, or sell it and split the money.

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35577

Sorry to hear it. Just my 2cents/experience but from the second one of you file NOTHING (repeat) NOTHING can be sold that resides at your/her address or that you both have ownership of. Any court will look down on this action and ultimately take it out of your "kitty/pot". I believe the story of the pissed off wife selling the Porsche for some ridiculous price to simply be urban legend. Once you/her lawyer-up they will explain all this in detail. Sorry about your troubles but in the long run it's a sh*t load cheaper to just try and work out your problems. Good luck.

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35597

Amigold,
Man, I am so sorry to hear that, that sucks. Lots of good advice here so far. Definitely don't share it, it's very rare that couples who divorce can get along with sharing something. I've only seen it once and it was a very rare case in deed. Again sorry to hear it, good luck and we're here for support bud!

Bob

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35621

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
That sucks Bud .. Been there done that twice . Hurts like Hell .Shareing wouldnt work . It would just become a pissing match .Good Luck Better days will come .. Larry

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35671

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
We have been down the divorce road once before and she aborted one month before it was due to be finalized. This time around we have both agreed to not involve lawyers, split everything 50/50 or as close as we can, and hang on to what we own rather than give up half of it to the lawyer fees.

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35675

Amigoid wrote:

We have been down the divorce road once before and she aborted one month before it was due to be finalized. This time around we have both agreed to not involve lawyers, split everything 50/50 or as close as we can, and hang on to what we own rather than give up half of it to the lawyer fees.

Very sensible, that's what I/we did when it happened to me. Keep the legal leeches at bay if at all possible. Even if you keep it amicable I can't see boat sharing working myself though.

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35678

Friend of mine always says "nothing gets you over the last one like the next one". In this case I am talking about the boat.. might want to consider the strategy of just let her have it and make a clean break. Run ... Run like the wind!!!! Then of course, find a new boat to work on (preferably something that smokes the old one).

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35680

Figure a value of it & offer to "buy her out" as unfair as that sounds.

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35887

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wouldnt sharing the boat bring back memories ? If you are looking to move forward, perhaps cleansing yourself of the old might be good. I know you like the boat, and finding another wont be easy, but others are out there. Sell it to her, it will be good karma, and a new project boat will keep you busy.

In any event, wishing you good luck as you move forward.

Just a disclaimer: I really dont know what Im talking about, as I've never been married or divorced... but have had some breakups... -jim

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35904

I am so sorry Amigoid. Been down that road but without the boat issue. Heck, we didn't even do a good job of sharing the dog. If she doesn't know how to take care of it you're going to get stuck with all the maintenance & repairs. Also, I hear you loud and clear about how much you care for the boat, please don't sell it- IMO you will regret it. Surely there are things in your household that she is very fond of... she can keep that/those and you can keep the boat. Tell her you'll take her out for a ride in it instead.

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35955

taking care of,towing,launching,cleaning etc,etc,etc will get old for her in two weeks. Sell her the boat and pretend you are going to buy something better because you where never completly satisfied with it.If she see's it's not your top priority and doesn't mean much to you it's value to her will decline.You will have it back in less than 2 months at a discount.

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 13 years 3 months ago #35966

Sorry for your troubles. I hope everything works out for both of you. I have no advice when it comes to women. Try not to do anything out of spite or let your emotions get the better of you.

Best of luck to you.

Don

Re: Something that can sink any boat - divorce 11 years 5 months ago #76525

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Turned out I got the boat in the divorce. I am currently working on it again to hopefully take it out to Grand Lake in Oklahoma. Got a lot to do in the next couple months.

Re: Something that can sink any boat - divorce 11 years 5 months ago #76533

Eyes forward and not back. Glad to hear from you. I hope all is well.

Re: Something that can sink any boat - divorce 11 years 5 months ago #76535

Glad to hear that. That sharing of anything, let alone your boat, with an ex is a disaster waiting to happen. And it wouldn't have taken long for the whole thing to explode in your face. I have heard horror stories of couples with kids that have to try to be able to stand the sight of each other long enough to swap the kids back and forth until they are 18!! It definitely would have been a waste of a good boat. IMHO
Good luck getting the boat finished up, and show us some pictures!!!
Bill

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 11 years 5 months ago #76544

Congrats on the boat!

I had a buddy getting divorced about 8-10 years ago. He had a '55 farmall tractor and had to split on the sale with future ex. He sold it to me for $1.

He asked me to pay in 4 quarters so it would be easy to split the money. My son and I left his yard, tractor in tow as he went in to share the wealth. I got a call from him about 3 minutes down the road and he told me that he gave her the 2 quarters. I asked how it went and he said that the quarters hit him in the back of the head as he walked away!

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 11 years 5 months ago #76546

gentelmen.....if it has tits or tires its gonna cause you trouble.

Re:Something that can sink any boat - divorce 11 years 5 months ago #76561

But you have to admit, they can both be a lot of fun for a while!!!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.511 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online