Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS!

1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS! 13 years 3 months ago #35523

I am looking at a 1969 Seaking/Starcraft. It appears to be a clean, solid little boat. But my concern is an area of glass cut out at the stern to expose the decking. You can see the area of concern in the bottom of the first pic...the are under the gas tank. How can I verify that the stringers and transom are solid? Let me know what you experts think. This would be my first glasser. Thanks in advance.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS! 13 years 3 months ago #35527

welcome bunker,boy its very hard to see with that pic ,but i "think",that whoever repaced the floor didnt take it all the way back,thinking it would be better for drainage,and the wood in the floor woudnt be sitting with water on top of it,at least im "thinking"it was replaced ,make sure the wood is glassed well if you can feel it by sticking your fingers under the floor ,between it and the hull.
and im not sure if the stringers went all the way back, they probably did,but lke i said i cant really see anything in the pics.so i am probably way off base,lol,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS! 13 years 3 months ago #35528

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I can not tell anything from that photo. You need to take a better photo. How do you know it was cut verses the way the boat was made? Also walk around the floor does it feel solid? If it does not feel solid you have a problem if it feels solid it is. The boat looks clean maybe it was cared for the way it was supposed to be. Next and last grab the motor. Can you flex the transom? try and stand on the cavitation plate of the lower unit. If the transom bows and flexes it is shot and needs replacement. Tap the transom with a plastic head mallet (gently) and listen for a change in the tone as you tap. Bright sharp tones should indicate good lamination of the glass and wood dull tones will reflect rotten spots.
Other than buying a moisture meter for about $300 to $400 that is about the best way to tell. Also look for any obvious signs of de-lamination of the fiber glass and wood.
Don't over think it. Just get in it walk around it and see the the transom flexes.
Jim

Re:1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS! 13 years 3 months ago #35529

bunker,jim just gave you great advise,he knows what he is talking about when it comes to these classics,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS! 13 years 3 months ago #35532

Thanks fellas. I walked around in the boat and it felt solid. I also tugged on the outboard and it didn't seem to move much. I just don't want to get into something over my head for a first boat. Everything appears ok, I just wanted to get some advice before jumping into a boat.

I am going to take a closer look tomorrow. If I can't find anything obvious...I might just take her home.

Can anyone ballpark a value on this boat?

Re:1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS! 13 years 3 months ago #35544

I just recently sold a boat almost identical to that...a couple years younger and just called Starcraft. Very solid little boat and it had a big fat heavy 1961 Evinrude 60hp on it and it did not flex one bit. As a reference....I sold it for $800 with motor running nice and newer seats in it.
Attachments:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS! 13 years 3 months ago #35546

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
did you sell that tee nee trailer with it too? that would been worth a few dollars alone.

Re:1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS! 13 years 3 months ago #35547

No way Jim....that is why I bought that boat with no paperwork from a Marina in the first place. It is sitting under my Custom Craft as we speak....crying out for restoration.

I figured one of you eagle eyes would spot that :-).

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:1969 Seaking pre-purchase questions...with PICS! 13 years 3 months ago #35552

Thanks barnfinder...so that was $800 with no trailer? Also do you have any pictures of the stern area that I might be able to reference?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6691 guests and no members online