• Page:

TOPIC: What defines "fiberglassic"

What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35446

• Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
So since I have found this site, I surf the web quite a bit looking at different era boats....
Silly question what is the definition of a fiberglassic?
What era or years? or is there an specific age which then it falls into this catagory?

Just wondering....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35451

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Dunno about others, but I would call it the "Golden years" of real boating!

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35454

imo a fiberglas boat 1969 and earlier. aluminum and wood would be classics.

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35465

Yep I think I have to agree with Ron.

Bob

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35476

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Someone had a definitive answer a few months ago on the same question.I think [the years formula] came out to late 60's early 70's.Take the Power Cat.A 1963 is basically the same as a 1973.A minor change in the deck and the hull is the same.Mid 70's on most small runabouts all seemed to have the same look. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder,so if you have a 1980 and are happy with it,great!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35483

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
haha, like the idea of hunting for the true "glassic"
ran across a 77 Glaspar closed v bow...looks to be on nice trailer.
Needs a alittle TLC...my current ride of choice is a '77 Arrowglass 15' tri hull... to me its a classic becuase well not too many around.

thnks..I'll keep all these comments and put to good use.

Matt in Illinois

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35490

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
vuyosevich wrote:

imo a fiberglas boat 1969 and earlier. aluminum and wood would be classics.

I dunno that, on F/G's as lived all those years, (started at 3, 1953, boats/Bro and dad). 19 years old, went Nam '69. came home to the end of the muscle car era, but still fast boats OK. The F/G Switzers, with the new XS 1500 Merc, in the 70's, were the last of it, my end. Rest, as the whole world, is now .."controlled too much"..and I care less owning anything unless 20 years old me. Old RULES! Heck, AOMCI is now included the 1981 "Johhyrudes" as now 30 YEARS OLD! Heres a pic, me, in 1977, 17 foot SS170, Switzer, well worked over Merc XS1500..those years were the end of the "free, easy, fast, and fun!"
Attachments:

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35492

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Hey Rob were you smiling for the camera in that picture,awsome! Thanks for serving in Nam.I had a high lotto number and never got called in.Back to the OP with wood they have a restored and preserved class.Must have at least 65% original wood for preserved,less than 65% preserved.Like I said some one posted the years including cars a while ago,maybe they will chime in.If ya like it and it has cool lines or something quirky along with being 30+ years old it's a classic in my eyes.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35511

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Mr. 88 wrote:

.If ya like it and it has cool lines or something quirky along with being 30+ years old it's a classic in my eyes.

Times 2

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35557

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I still find it hard to think that some the coolest boat/motors/cars, that seems like yesterday to me, are now 40, 50, 60 years old!

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35559

I think it differs somewhat with the one looking. If you like it and are willing to dump a lot of time and money into something you will never recover the cost with and it floats, then it's a fiberglassic. If it is ugly as hell but you just have to save it from the saw, and is a boat , then it may be a fiberglassic. Or like me you think all these new boats come from a sort of cookie cutter and seem way over-priced for something that keeps your feet dry while fishing, it could be a fiberglassic. If you want to look cool in a boat that looks like a boat did when you were a kid then it may be a fiberglassic. But on thing for sure, to be a fiberglassic it has to be made of fiberglass. Wood inside ,on the top or incorperated in the construction is OK.

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35572

i "think" if its 30 years old its classic,and if its 50 its antique,but im not sure on that,to be a glassic its just very cool,some of us consider the james bond boat a glassic,i do ,lol.john,p.s. and it helps if they dont make that model anymore.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35612

• kajun
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
there really is no right or wrong answer to this question but my definition is any fiberglass boat from the 1950's to the mid 1960's...after that you getting into the "disco glass" years...

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35620

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I hate the term Disco Glass ...L.O.L..Disco Sucked and it was almost the 80s when that disease hit this counrty and it was short lived ..We had KISS , CCR, Rush, Skynard , The Police , Meat Loaf , Grand Funk Railroad , Pink Floyd and one of my Favorites Blues Brothers , The list goes on and on . Lets kill Disco once and for all ..I dont want nobody to TAKE ME DOWN TO FUNKY TOWN ...L.O.L..I just want to go to the Lake and Let my 1975 CV16 Rip ..How about we call them 70s Super Glass ..?? Im on a Mission From God sent by the Penquin ...

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35634

kajun wrote:

there really is no right or wrong answer to this question but my definition is any fiberglass boat from the 1950's to the mid 1960's...after that you getting into the "disco glass" years...

i think that was kelly wood's definition also at the inception of FiberGlassics...ron

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35641

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
vuyosevich wrote:

kajun wrote:

i think that was kelly wood's definition also at the inception of FiberGlassics...ron

Thats a very small window of about 7-8 years to put the Glassics in.Not many 56/58 glass boats survived or where built with unusual features.Not saying it's wrong or right,just commenting on the overall time frame listed as being miniscule.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35650

For me, it is the late 50's boats with the molded-in interior and all their quirkiness. Once they became a shell with wooden seats, they mostly started looking the same to me. There are a few I would still take, but I mostly tend toward the '56-'59 era.

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35664

since fiberglassic is a word derived by kelly wood, hopefully he will chime in with its meaning. ron

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35683

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
vuyosevich wrote:

since fiberglassic is a word derived by kelly wood, hopefully he will chime in with its meaning. ron

Top center of home page is K.Woods definition/interpertation of fiberglassic.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35690

50's and 60's...there you have it.

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35706

For me "classics" usually means something that everyone else has passed on as junk and since I have a nearly zero budget I take em on like people rescue dogs or something. They need time and the skill that comes with knowledge to rebuild them to something workable otherwise I wouldnt have anything. Thankfully we have sites like this out there so that the knowledge can be had from a lot of folks that have lifetimes of experience and are willing to pass some of it on. So I slowly build up the supplies I need and learn everything I can and eventually have something that works, later sometimes people comment on how "those were really good back then" ect.. I wish I could really fund my many interests and do it right but I always say that I probably had more fun fixing my pieces of junk than most of the people that are out there using there brand new stuff that they just dropped a fortune for. Maybe you saw the 79 wagoneer in the background of some of my boat pics. Ive had a few more of those that were for parts ect, infact there is a 88 floating around by my garden but that 79 that I paid 100 bucks for, is ugly as heck and has no floor pans to speak of is mechanically pretty much new. You cant stop it (but watch the puddles). Anyway thats my take on what a classic is, wish I had a roof to work under or the $$$ to do a proper job on stuff but I still get by, although you wont be seeing any of my stuff at a "show" hehehe.

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35720

I personally think a fiberglassic is what you make of it. I own a 1959 Thompson Sea Lancer (which is wood , for all of you glassheads) and I think that it is great what all of you guys do with all of these classic boats. The time and effort that you guys put into these great boats is unbelievable. Our old "Woodies" I think are probably easier to restore than your glassics. At least our bad parts aren't encased in fiberglass and have to be dug out to be repaired. I think it great how the fiberglass boats replicated the cars of the era. They are what we make of them - keep up the great work.
Bill

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35777

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Most of what I'm looking at or run across are from the 70 era...me born in '73 so they fall inot the 30+ age group.
as far as others most look to be in the 60s era...

anyway thanks for all the ideas and input very much appreciated.

thanks! :woohoo:

Matt in Illinois

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35781

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bobo wrote:

..How about we call them 70s Super Glass ..?? Im on a Mission From God sent by the Penquin ...

YEP, I'm with ya 100%! ;)

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35792

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Also from the thoughts of our webmaster, I believe;

What used to be considered too new to be a glassic! The 1970's era produced some very nice boats. Here's the place for them.

:P

They're all (50's/60's/70's) cool in my eyes. Just like Fiberglass/Woodie's/Lumie's, the more the merrier. (To each their own, whether someone else thinks mine is a 'Glassic or not really doesn't matter to me.) One of the greatest things about this place IMO, is the general acceptance of everyone and everyone's boat. It's more about the spirit and the love than the year it was made.

Just my two cents...... ;)

1973 Glastron V178 Starflite
1971 Glastron GT 150

Peace

Mark

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35797

yep.... what about pontoons? i'm leanin towards an 18 footer.

Re:What defines "fiberglassic" 13 years 3 months ago #35846

Yep Robby321 been there done that. Had my tour to "Nam"
I now am enjoying a pontoon. I do have a couple of Glassics.
Ron you will love a pontoon. Nice stable ride.
Attachments:

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35850

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
MarkS wrote:

Also from the thoughts of our webmaster, I believe;

What used to be considered too new to be a glassic! The 1970's era produced some very nice boats. Here's the place for them.

:P

They're all (50's/60's/70's) cool in my eyes. Just like Fiberglass/Woodie's/Lumie's, the more the merrier. (To each their own, whether someone else thinks mine is a 'Glassic or not really doesn't matter to me.) One of the greatest things about this place IMO, is the general acceptance of everyone and everyone's boat. It's more about the spirit and the love than the year it was made.

Just my two cents...... ;)

1973 Glastron V178 Starflite
1971 Glastron GT 150

Peace

I second what Mark Said ..

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35896

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
elgindave wrote:

Yep Robby321 been there done that. Had my tour to "Nam"
I now am enjoying a pontoon. I do have a couple of Glassics.
Ron you will love a pontoon. Nice stable ride.

My brother has a pontoon in NorCal. Gotta admit, low and slow is OK by me! And my dog sure likes it!
Attachments:

Re:What defines 13 years 3 months ago #35915

Dogs and boats go together well.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.263 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6605 guests and no members online