Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new boat owner need help...

new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35304

Hello everyone,
I just recently accuried a glasspar delmar i was told it was a '56. i know the motor is to large for it as it is an 85hp.. but she seems to run like a top and i was currious if anyone happened to have cabin/ interior pictures of this model.. The hull seems to be in great shape,buffed out the the gelcoat on it.. interior seems to be a bit aged but from what i can tell its mostly complete.. the wood is in pretty dang good shape for its age only needs a good sanding and a fresh coat of varnish,It has a wood seat with tackle drawers and a bench lid with a swordfish punched out in the center was this original or added? Also could anyone tell me if the motor mount setup is original or added ( I know that the plywood mount is not original)but is the small rear deck? Also there is a water pickup in the starboard floor and what looks to be about a 1 1/2 in outlet in the transom
about 6" up from the floor any ideas what these would be for??

Any help would be great as I am a professional auto restorer for a living with experiance in "glass and gell" and am wanting to bring this old girl back to her "new self" again...

thanks a bunch
Damen hill
(oregon)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35306

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Welcome to FG cowboy.
You came to the right place. There are folks here in the process of restoring Del Mars.
They will chime in shortly I am sure. In the upper right where it says search forum, type in Del Mar and you will find them.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35307

shot of rear of boat i will get some better shots of the rear deck and transom up soon
Attachments:

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35309

another shot
Attachments:

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35310

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome Damen .. Ive got a Delmar Im restoring . Search for Operation Delmar and its got plenty of pics of mine being restored ..First your transom has been modified .Its suppose to be curved in back .85 is a bit much for that boat .Yours has that step back on it to like a jack plate .I think some people put them that way to give more room inside .Ive seen 2 others set up that way . Its rated at 50 .I havnt driven mine but have been told they get squirely if you push them to fast .The pad they ride on in the back is curved and I can see that making them want to walk around at speed . Im gonna run a 50 hp mercury on mine .Interior wise I dont know . Im thinking they must have been open in the back and people made them what ever they wanted .I havnt seen 2 pics alike . Yours sure has Great potential ..
Heres a You Tube Video of one running

If theres any other way I can help ya dont be scared to ask . This is a Great Forum full of fine people . Neil went WAY WAY out of his way to help me own mine .If you do a Delmar search youll find that story to .. Again Welcome aboard .. Larry

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35328

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I would guess that your water pick up tube and outlet ftg. were for a live well.They would use a pump to bring the water in as water will only seek its own level,which would be the water line.It was set up for fishing and they put the outboard "bracket" on to free up the stern area.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35336

Welcome Damen,

What a stunner!

These guys are extremely helpful on all things boats. I can't help you much on fiberglass (Yet!) But, when you're ready for varnish info I would be glad to chime in. Currently on coat # 7 on the SeaMac.

Jerri

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35356

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..C.: WELCOME, NICE MODEL . We have a LIBARY section here on the site, up top tool bar, & go to GLASSPAR, brochures for 56 - 58 have some DelMAr www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Glassparb58005.jpg Sort of known as a Day cruiser, with a open bulkhead or dah partition. Could have sliding or fold down partitions for night / rain sleeping. Should have maybe two side bed partitions. That 85 HP to big & too much set back. Use on another skiff or sell to fisherman. Two cyl 50HP or 60 Hp mid 80's be a good rig. One of the early members Brian Fenwick Az/ Ca had mint light Green one that won big award & sold maybe over $ 10 K..! COMMANDER from N.W. redid a few in two tone & wood floors, that were stunning. We love Glasspars & they have a good following. . ENJOY

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35408

I was kinda thinking the pickups were for a live well but was not sure... I am defently going to replace the 85hp with a newer 50hp model. going to run her easy this season, but the going to get the right equipment on her for next year i have a few more pics enjoy..

thanks again

damen hill
Attachments:

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35409

another
Attachments:

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35410

heres one more..
Attachments:

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35411

and heres a shot of the cabin minus the interior padding.. still has a built in potty thing... lol (think thats coming out and getting put away..
Attachments:

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35418

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Gotta love the old "Cruisers", kinda like the grand lady of the Glassics, IMO. Nice find Damen, looks like you've got a good base for your project.

Mark

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35437

Cowboy, great looking boat!

If you have a woman in your life... DON'T get rid of the "built in potty thing"...heh. A small thing that will make her many times happier with the boat... hence you will get more time in it. ;)

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35470

those delmars are beautiful cruisers,i had a seaking cruiser that was great,but i love the lines of these delmars,i think commander has a great one he restored,and im sure yours are going to be fantastic as well,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:new boat owner need help... 13 years 3 months ago #35486

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
deanlofall wrote:

If you have a woman in your life... DON'T get rid of the "built in potty thing"...heh. A small thing that will make her many times happier with the boat... hence you will get more time in it. ;)

"more time in it" are you talking about the boat or ?? :ohmy:

cool runnings Mr 88

starting my delmar resto 13 years 3 months ago #36091

Well folks I got all the wiring stripped out and a new color coded wiring diagram made (wife says im strange cause i spent an hour playing with the paint program on the computer designing it) But hey, every circut is color coded for what it does.. i.e. green lights, yellow bilge..etc. Got the new marine carpet should have it in later today. :) buffed the original gel coat out, it soaked up the first 2 coats of paste wax,finally got it to shine like new. pulled the original gas tanks out so i can make patterns to fabricte new aluminum gas tanks. well I will keep you guys updated and get some more pics up soon!!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7082 guests and no members online