Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Sandusky Boat Works Information Request

Sandusky Boat Works Information Request 13 years 3 months ago #35234

Hello,

I am attempting to research the Sandusky Boat Company. I am particularly interested in connections of boatbuilder Gust Reinke with the Sandusky Boat Company. I am a Sandusky native and spent some of my childhood in Mr. Reinke's neighborhood. Mr. Reinke passed in 1960.

I have recently learned that the Sandusky Boat Works started when Mr. Reinke bought the Davis Boat Works. Davis was owned by Adelbert Davis, who, interestingly, was deaf. Davis also built the hulls for the hydroplanes built by Weldon Cooke in Sandusky approx 1912.

I have also contacted the Sandusky Maritime Museum and they do have two Sandusky boats in their collection. They told me that the most commonly held belief is that when Mr. Reinke sold the Sandusky Boat Company, the new owners destroyed all company records (hauled everything to the landfill, supposedly).

I am interested in any information, photos or other reference material relating to the Sandusky Boat Company (might also be referred to as Sandusky Boat Works).

I am also interested in any other sources (websites, forums, etc that might provide information on this topic). Note: I have already posted a query to woodenboat.com, lymanboats.com and danenberg boat works

Thank you.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Sandusky Boat Works Information Request 13 years 3 months ago #35236

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good morning Tom, and welcome to FG. Our resident Research Historian, Andreas (Thompsonboat), will probably be able to help you out with your quest. He is, however, "elbow deep" in conducting the Thompson Antique and Classic Boat Rally this weekend.

Just wanted to let you know it may be a few days until there is a response to your inquiry. If anyone else has any info for you in the meantime, I'm sure they'll be glad to chime in. Good luck with your project, and please share any pics and info you with us, we love the classics here. ;)

Mark

Re:Sandusky Boat Works Information Request 13 years 3 months ago #35561

Welcome aboard.

And THANKS Mark S for calling me the "resident resarch historian."!

I already did some research and posted results on the WoodenBoat magazine forum, where I originally saw it a while back.

The Thompson Boat Rally was a wonderful success. First nice weekend (weatherwise in Northeast Wisconsin) all spring/summer. 36 watercraft and lots of fun.

Andreas

Re:Sandusky Boat Works Information Request 13 years 3 months ago #35563

History is more fun when you know something about it and it is local. We do enjoy pictures here.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.153 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6601 guests and no members online