Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1962 Niagara

1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35039

Hello all,I am a new member but have spent almost my full 50 years around boats. My whole adult life has been spent working onboard commercial boats or repairing commercial boats. I spend a lot of time now fresh water fishing. I recently bought a 1962 MFG Niagara with a 1962 Gator trailer in remarkable condition. The only structural issue is the transom core which died because of the typical fresh water decay due to lousy sealing of motor fasteners. Thanks to this site I will be repairing it with the Nida Bond material. Both skins are perfect other than bolt holes.I will post pictures because I have fabricated some tools to help remove the rotted wood and to mechanically clean the inner surfaces of the skins. I could use some help locating one of the lower rubrail darts the ONLY piece of hardware that is missing and a suggestion on a source for the original type top that attaches to groove in the top of the windshield frame. I could also use an explanation of the release levers on the bottom off the windsheild and the reason it pivots back towards the cockpit. I had a Lyman years ago and was sorry I sold it. I wanted to replace it but sadly dont have the spare time to maintain it properly so this Niagara was the obvious alternative but to find a 50 year old boat this clean and original was a dream come true. This is a great site and look forward to participating. Joe

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35042

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Have you researched the library section? I think the windshield may be aftermarket as I see nothing like you described listed.That may also be a issue with your top as well.I would think a good canvas maker could fabricate something for that.As for the rubrail dart,which I am not sure what it is your looking for,post pic when you can.I would try ebay, Craigs, the surrounding fields and barns.As they say, welcome aboard!

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35050

Welcome and jump right in.

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35053

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Welcome Aboard .Beware Old Boats are like Potato chips .. Ya cant have just one ..

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35058

welcome joe,the folks here are the best,please post some pics of your boat,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35066

Welcome aboard Joe and Pics, Pics we need Pics. :lol:

Bob

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35067

Injunjoe:

This guy reproduces MFG emblems and rub rail darts. I have purchased reproduction emblems from him. I know he also sells the darts.

Mark This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Good luck!

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attachments:

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35079

Thanks to all for the welcome,and thanks for the parts lead.I already knew about old boats being like chips. I also have a 1966 Aerocraft Q-14 and a 1960's Lake Queen? 12' aluminum flat botton v-bow skiff painted turqoiuse so it looks good in the back of my turqouise 1968 Dodge W-200 Power Wagon. I fish with old Mitchell 300 reels. I have the old stuff disease bad and probably uncurable at this stage. Did I mention i'm driving a 1974 Dodge Dart Sport? I can't believe the amount of vintage literature this site has accumilated. What an asset to those afflicted with the sickness. The motto on the old Dodge truck website I frequent, sweptline.com is "dare to be different" does Fiberglassics have a motto? If not, it should. I promise to post pics in the future, I just got the boat Saturday. I think the tools I fabricated (I am a uscg marine machinery mechanic/machinist) will really help clean the rotted transom core out with little collateral damage to the inner and outer transom, which will make the pourable core method very attractive for most folks. I prefer to do as little fiberglass work as possible which is why I spent 2 years looking for a Niagara I would tackle. Joe

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35085

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
You're going to fit in just fine here Joe, welcome aboard. :laugh:

Mark

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35089

Hi Joe
MFG made two different sizes of darts. I believe the Niagara used the smaller of the two. I did a thread on my '68 Ebinboro rtestoration. In it, you will see the larger darts I repaired.

forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=287734

BTW ...welcome aboard
Attachments:

Re:1962 Niagara 13 years 3 months ago #35207

Old boater, thanks for the response and info. A member of this site is sending me a pair of reproductions. He is molding them with resin and a few other secret ingredients and they look very nice.Joe

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6641 guests and no members online