• Page:

TOPIC: Water, water everywhere

Water, water everywhere 13 years 3 months ago #34972

• uga girl
  • uga girl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Camping at Clarks Hill Lake Georgia (Elijah Clark State Park--nice waterfront sites) this past weekend was great except for the daily storms! My '60 Fireflight was docked close to our campsite and secure for the evening. We had a terrible thunderstorm roll threw which probably dumped about 3/4" of rain Saturday night. Went down Sunday morning and took a spin out on the lake and pulled the side plug in the boat to drain the water from the floor, put plug back in and proceeded to enjoy the day. At the end of the day we loaded the boat on the trailer to head home. Pulled the rear plug and I am guessing 5 gallons of water poured out of my boat. It just kept coming!! The boat has been in the water 4 times in the last 6 weeks. The previous 3 times (no rains) when I pulled the bottom plug not a drop of water came out, so it stands to reason that the water came from the rains.

There are two very small openings in each corner of the stern under the splashwell at the bottom of the transom where the deck meets the transom. When I bought the boat I asked the previous owner what these opening were. He said he did not know. I remember thinking then it looked like they opened into the hull and why would this be desirable?? They are original to the build of the boat. I feel I have my answer now: they do open to the hull and they do allow water in.

What are these openings (sorry I don't have a photo to attach) and what purpose do they serve? I do not have a bilge pump, but I believe I probably need to consider buying one. What do others do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Water, water everywhere 13 years 3 months ago #34979

splashwells and transoms are funny things. sometimes they work and sometimes not. my favorite of my boats I can put the transom at the waterline if I am alone and back by the motor. I could easily swamp the boat on rough waters if I was not carefull. That said I do not have a bilge pump and usually get to just before planing and pull the plug and let the water run out. replace plug when finished. You shouldn't do this alone. Doesn't work for every boat

Re:Water, water everywhere 13 years 3 months ago #35040

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
The only thing I can think of is if you plug them before you go out it will act as a watertight compartment.Maybe a saftey concern by the mfg.Not sure what the Coast Guard required in 1960.This will also keep the misc water on the main deck to be monitered by you. So now you plug in go, then pop when you stop.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Water, water everywhere 13 years 3 months ago #35059

im wondering if those drain holes are used when the boat is unlevel when you go to drain it,i have seen many times when there was still water in the stern but only on one side because the boat wasnt level,and the water could not reach the middle plug,john.p.s. im probaby wrong,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Water, water everywhere 13 years 3 months ago #35062

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
All good answers, and all basically right to some extent. It seems that Glastron used some "side plugs" to allow draining the forward hull area on most models, even back then. I believe most folks just leave them out if they still even have the plugs. The G-trons were notorious for not draining well, which led to stringer, floor, and transom problems down the road. Keep her drained out as much as possible, and a bilge pump is DEFINITELY a good idea IMHO.

I love the G-trons, but this is one area they could have done a little better with the engineering. I'm improving the drain system in the GT 150, and will probably include a vent under the forward sole (floor) as others have done here to prevent future problems with rot. The Starflite will get the same treatment if I ever get around to that project. ;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6608 guests and no members online