Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone?

Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone? 13 years 3 months ago #34840

• John3
  • John3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Guess I'm getting cautious. I’m looking for a Buddy Boat to accompany my Boat (My Son, Grand Kids 12 & 10 and Me) for a few days of fishing & gunk holing around Catalina.
I figure we will go to Alamitos Bay on Saturday July 9, get an overnight guest slip, leave bright & early Sunday AM, spend a couple of days fishing & ??? With moorings at Avalon &/or the Isthmus, return early AM on Wednesday. My Boat can sleep 4 friendly people , so we’re planning on living aboard. However, I believe there is also tent camping on the Island. Or, even a Hotel in Avalon!
We may be able to adjust the schedule by a day or so if necessary.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone? 13 years 3 months ago #35160

• John3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thought I'd ask again.

Re:Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone? 13 years 3 months ago #35169

no need to be cautious, there are plenty of boats at the island every weekend the weather is good
I ran to the island every weekend solo in a 22ft cuddy and usually run in the dark about 4:30 ...early bird fishing

JUST TRUST your compass heading if the fog sets in, its "June gloom" time there

Re:Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone? 13 years 3 months ago #35172

• John3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
You're probably right. The VHF receives OK, I'll need to do a radio check with someone, when we get to the marina, to be sure it Xmits.
It's just that we're going with the Grand Kids. I'll see what my Son thinks about it.

Re:Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone? 13 years 3 months ago #35173

are you a member of vessel assisit, its the cheapest $80 or whatever it is now peace of mind you can buy.IF YOU DONT HAVE IT GET IT NOW BEFORE YOU GO

not only the saftey factor of having people know your float plan but free towing, the towing from Catalina is over $600 back to the main land, & you cant afford the parts and labor rates over at Catalina

Re:Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone? 13 years 3 months ago #35175

another thought, dosent matter where your launching from, go straight to the bait barge, be early as you can.....

you will find several boats filling the bait tanks before running to the island, tell them your new & want to run with them.

on the way back get on the radio look for someone else heading back same time frame as you ...

AGAIN GET VESSEL ASSIST AND HAVE A GREAT TIME

Re:Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone? 13 years 3 months ago #35179

IMPORTANT... I forgot to mention that because of the kids on board you will need to start your return trip across the channel, no later than noon! daily Westerlies start around 1:00ish and by 2:00 youll see 3 foot white caps, not counting the days swells if any

....and your gonna get wet, the white caps are commin at you broad side :woohoo:

Re:Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone? 13 years 3 months ago #35183

• John3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Good Thoughts. Thank you for all your help.
I phoned my Son & He agreed, if the weather looks good we cross by 8 AM both ways.
Also, I took your advise & JUST got a Gold Membership in BoatUS. Looks like something I should have in any case.
I'm not a total novice. I got my 1st Boat around 1966. Bought the Dorsett in 1970 & we trailered it from San Diego to Puget Sound, Powell, Mead, Havasu & such. When my Wife got sick about 10 years ago it slowed & stopped our boating. I had a mild stroke about the time She passed away, no real harm to me but it fogged my memory. So in some ways I'm still getting back up to speed.
& having a good time!
John

PS Would still enjoy having a Buddy Boat join us.

Re:Catalina Island July 9 to 13 Anyone? 13 years 3 months ago #35188

Im in Oregon now or Id run with you... sorry , Id love a weekend fishing/diving my old grounds...Ive spent more time underwater there than most folks spend in their backyards

glad to hear you got the Tow insurance , its just flat foolish not to!...24hr a day someones got your back now and are only 30min away tops

speaking of your fishing trip...If you can get back out 2nd week in sept with some big game fishing gear and a down rigger, I will give you a fishing tip...email me for GPS details if you can make it

Ive caught a Marlin in the same square mile of water at this specific time of year..... 7 times out of 10 years during the Catalina Cup Tournament....I found a drop off into DEEP water the marlin and mako sharks cruise for mackerel, fattening up before they head to baja..the next weekend they are gone!..its a pattern!!! :woohoo:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.168 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6615 guests and no members online