Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed

Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34634

I have a 1968 Nylox, and I just removed pieces of the floor the previous owner replaced (poorly) and found the hull has no stringers fiber glassed into it. There is a frame which is similar to wall to a house that basically makes contact along the sides of the hull and is raised in the center, although only a little as the back half of the boat is pretty flat.

There is a fiberglassed raised area under the splashwell, a raised area where the drivers and passenger side seat would go, and a raised area under the bow.

Is the way the floor done correct (the framing anyway)? Did the boat not have a floor from the factory and was added?

Any help would be great!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34635

Floor frame side.
Attachments:

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34636

Floor frame front
Attachments:

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34656

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I am not familiar with your hull.Having said that I would probably epoxy/resin/glass the existing "stringer system" in place.It does look like it adds strength to the hull,if attached,which is a good thing.I would not use particle board for anything on a boat.Exterior plywood with a liberal coating of resin would be my choice.Or marine plywood if I was flush with cash.Hopefully someone will chime in on your question about the stock stringers.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34708

I'm not quite sure what you are asking. I have included a picture of your sub-structure showing your stringers and bulkhead. You should NOT use the Chip Board shown in the pic for your deck or for that matter ANYWHERE in your boat. Ext. Grade Plywood or Marine grade only. All stringers and Bulkheads should be coated with resin, covered with a minimum of 2 layers of CSM and I layer of either 17 oz woven Roving or 1708 Biaxial cloth and tabbed to the hull 4 - 6" on either sided.

(Click the pic to Enlarge)

How to install stringers

(Click the pic to Enlarge)

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34712

The subframe is not fiberglassed in nor is there any evidence of there ever being any. The reason I started pulling up the floor was because of the chipboard and I found the subframe looking different from what I have seen. Is it possible it didn't have a floor originally it was just open? That being said if It never hadstringers fiberglassed should I still or do I need to glass them in?

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34713

The subframe is not fiberglassed in nor is there any evidence of there ever being any. The reason I started pulling up the floor was because of the chipboard and I found the subframe looking different from what I have seen. Is it possible it didn't have a floor originally it was just open? That being said if It never hadstringers fiberglassed should I still or do I need to glass them in?

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34714

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34737

What kind of boat is this? Mfg?? Size?? Pupose??

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34740

1968 nylox sierra 16ft. Pleasure.

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34749

Well, I can Guarantee you that when it came from the mfg it had stringers that WERE glassed to the hull and a DECK that was also attached to the hull. They are integral to the overall structural integrity of the boat and with out them the hull can and will flex and depending on the amount of this flex could lead to catastrophic failure of the hull and the boat sinking. Thereis NO WAY this hull should be restored WITHOUT restoring the stringer and bulkheads to an acceptable configuration.

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34771

Great! Thank you for all your help, it looks like Ill be learning to fiberglass! Im going to pull apart the rest of the floor Monday and start. Is it necessary to use laminated plywood for the stringers or could I use 2x6's?

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34772

i recommend exterior plywood,its much stronger on edge ,and you can get a few stringers out of one sheet,plus it will work great to get the shape you need.
just make very sure it is glassed in compleatly to avoid water penetration,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34773

Ok Great thanks. Are 4 strings sufficient? Also should I glass the deck to the sides of the hull or just mount it to the stringers?

As far as the bulk head is concerned do I fiberglass another stringer to them or just glass the stringers directly to the bulkhead (which is not rotted and in good condistion).

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34782

4 are sufficient

Glass the deck to the hull. Here's a drawing.

You DON'T have to put a layer of 1708 on the top of the deck. 3 layers of the CSM is sufficient. The tabs should go approx. 6" up the sides of the hull progressively. First 2", second 4" and final 6"
(Click the Pic to Enlarge)

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34827

flamingo,absolutly fantastic drawings and advice,very,very easy to understand,great job,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Floor Stringers nad Floor Repair help needed 13 years 3 months ago #34902

john-gibson wrote:

flamingo,absolutly fantastic drawings and advice,very,very easy to understand,great job,john

Thanks John,

I am an iBoats member too, and I am ALWAYS being asked how to do Decks, Transoms, and Stringers so I decided to make some drawings SHOWING how. Momma always said a "Picture is worth a thousand words!!!!!"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.227 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6017 guests and no members online