• Page:

TOPIC: Always carry a spare drain plug!

Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34550

• Amigoid
  • Amigoid's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Such a simple thing to forget, but yesterday I took the boat out, for a youth group day on the beach, and I suspect one of them kicked the plug out while trying to climb in the back of the boat. Because suddenly there was a couple inches of water coming in the back. We hustled back to the dock and put the boat on the trailer, drained it, and popped in the spare plug I just bought last week.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34555

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Sure blame the kids haha. Not like the ol man forgot to install or flip the lever up/turn the petcock in.Kind of tough for the kids to step on it if it directly in front of the lower unit.I am putting my money on,,,,,Amigoid,,,,as being the culprit.. lol

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34557

I once forgot to put it in. Talked to a guy for 15 minutes and went back to the launch. Sunkem boat with no one to blame but me. WHOOPS

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34567

• Robby321
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 10
Yep, always happens when distracted. Did it once my old XS Merc/Switzer. Boat backed in the water house launch, started yakking someone, went back to push in, and something didn't look right way in the back. No harm done, just a slow winch back, most drained out, pull out and sat in the sun the rest the day! Bet everyone done it once, or if not, will one day! :laugh:

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34572

In our family we have the famous story of our cousins down in Evansville that put the boat in and just like the other stories noticed something was'nt right.. but the saying went like this ..

Michael, wheres the plug?........ pause....

.......(response) In the glove compartment...............

Of course we would do the accent when we were saying it to try and keep it authentic. Since I was a kid we have been saying that anytime we put a boat in the water (never seems to get old).

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34575

Ain't that the truth Robby! ;) Had my day. Humor for others at the ramp too.

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34576

A buddy and I borrowed his dads boat while he was at work not knowing we were taking the boat out, launched, tied up and went in to the resturatnt to grab lunch. when we came out every one was clapping for us.WTH? Rounded the corner to find the rope was all we could see. Have not lived that down nor forgotten a plug to this day.

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34624

I didn't actually sink it since it was into the bank but it was only a couple inches above water.

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34639

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
And I thought I was the only one that did that ...L.O.L.. You guys put your Plugs in on the outside of the boat ?? Maybe its just me but that seems like an accident waiting ..I always crawl up in the back , Bang my head and cuss while I put the plug in from the Inside .OR just go get a Brass screw in type kit and update them .But then if your like me youll forget to bring the wrench to tighten it ...

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34650

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I think just about every time this year I have gotten halfway down the ramp or just got the stern in the water when a light bulb goes off in my head,DOOOHHHH. Yes I put all three plugs in from the outside.My theory is the water pressure helps hold in the plug vs the pressure trying to push the plug into the boat if installed from the inside.That and not wanting to bruise myself by turning into a pretzel when installing them,behind battery and fuel tanks.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34681

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Mr. 88 wrote:

I think just about every time this year I have gotten halfway down the ramp or just got the stern in the water when a light bulb goes off in my head,DOOOHHHH. Yes I put all three plugs in from the outside.My theory is the water pressure helps hold in the plug vs the pressure trying to push the plug into the boat if installed from the inside.That and not wanting to bruise myself by turning into a pretzel when installing them,behind battery and fuel tanks.

Pretzel ...L.O.L..Yup I know the feeling . Im not sure if I went Bald or just scraped my hair off trying to get that plug in .If you have the rubber plugs with the screw thing in the middle that tightens up that wouldnt be to bad .Ive seen guys put the ones with just the lever that you flip on the outside .Ild be worried that a million gallons of water rushing past it at 40 MPH might flip her open .You can get those Brass convertion jobs at Wall Mart for under $20. If ild have done that sooner on my CV 16 I might not be a Canidate for the Mens Hair Club now ..

Re:Always carry a spare drain plug! 13 years 3 months ago #34686

i believe i have the original drain plugs from 1960. you turn the lever which makes the middle of the plug to swell. never have had a problem. ron

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5865 guests and no members online