Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1962 Nylox 16ft

1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #33789

I have a chance to get a 1962 Nylox 16ft for a trade on an old jeep I have. I have been trying to get information about the boat and have had very little luck. Can anyone help me out with some information regarding the boat?

Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #33791

k5-cj5,it sure would help us out if you had pics,you can also look in the "glassic library" at the top of the page,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #33810

Here is a pic of the boat. I looked under the Glassic Library but there wasn't much about Nylox boats. The owner says its registered as a 68 but its a 62. Says the model is a sierra but I haven't been able to find any info on the boat.
Attachments:

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #33964

Ok so im getting this boat and I got the model off the motor and found out it is a 1960 evinrude starflite II 75hp motor. Are these motors any good? It seemed to run well.

Still would like more info about the Nylox boats, its a 1968 sierra.

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34190

Nobody can help me out? I'm picking the boat up tomorrow afternoon. The motor ran good, and the hull is in good shape. The floor was just redone, I just need to ad seats, a throttle cable and hook up the steering. Does anyone have pictures of the steering set-up on a 1960 evinrude starflite II? Also can I change the controls to a single lever instead of the dual lever or is it best to leave it with 2 and replace just the throttle cable?

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34207

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Pretty sure we've got some pics of the steering systems on here somewhere, we'll have to dig 'em up for you. Is it the old cable and pulley type system? Try the Search Forum box in the upper, right hand corner. (I'd do it for you, but have to get ready for work right now.) The old Johnny-Rude Starflite's were great motors, several folks here still running them.

It's your call on the controls, but I would refurbish the original two lever system if it were me. They're kinda cool (will grow on you after a while) and think you'll be happier in the long run. ;) Just my two cents worth, and welcome aboard. Nice 'Glassic, looking forward to seeing more pics and watching as you bring her back to life.

Edit: Here ya go! www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/34170-steering-cables.html#34178

Mark

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34212

Can't help you other than it looks cool. Nice lines.

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34216

Nylox Corporation was located at 333 North Santa Anita Avenue, Arcadia, California. In 1959 William C. Lockwood was president. The firm started circa 1954 as a plastics manufacturer. Boats were an afterthought. The firm outgrew this space and a new plant was built at Azusa, CA in 1959.

Sales increased 50% from 1957 to 1958.

Lockwood's wife Marcelle and son Bill, Jr. were involved with the firm.

This is all from a newspaper article in the Long Beach (CA) Press Telegram, 23 April 1959, page C-5.

Andreas

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34353

Here it is and its now home with me! Im very excited this is my first Glassic. The steering arm is back by the motor seems to be free floating which doesn't make sense. I was curious how they normally attached to the hull. The drain plug is also in a strange place as far as boats I have had. The drain plug is directly on the bottom and is under the floor. The previous owner replaced the floor and put a door to gain access but it doesn't seem right to me. Next to the drain plug there is also a water inlet, is it for a live well or?
Attachments:

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34354

controls. The throttle cable is froze so I need to find one but the shift linkage seems perfect.
Attachments:

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34355

Dash
Attachments:

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34356

The motor ran great, and seems to like its in good shape. I want to paint the upper portion and am trying to find what the original color schemes were and the seating arrangement.
Attachments:

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34359

Thanks for the information about Nylox!

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34366

I like the boat looks like you have half the battle over with if the engine runs good
Attachments:

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34368

Thanks for the information about Nylox!

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34411

Can anyone post a picture of how the steering cable is attached to the boat by the transom? The cable is free floating right now and doesn't make sense, although I can see any mounting holes anywhere so im curious how it attaches to make a good steering set-up. Its not a cable and pulley set-up its a single cable that goes to a round cover attached to the dash behind the steering wheel.
Thanks!

Re:1968 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34412

Also, found the Nylox identification plate, looks like its a 1968 Nylox sierra with a 1960 Evinrude starflite II 75hp

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34416

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34417

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sounds like a rotary style push-pull (single) cable system. They mount back near the motor in several different styles; Some have a mount where the cable passes thru the motor well opening, some have a separate bracket in the splashwell, some pass thru the transom brackets on the motor. If you would post a pic, that would be helpful. ;)

Mark

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34418

Here are some pics of the steering arm and motor
Attachments:

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34419

Motor and arm
Attachments:

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34420

This is the steering cable. It comes into the splash well and is free floating.
Attachments:

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34422

hi again k5,
thats a great looking boat,i have a picture of our 63(i think)75 hp starflite v,its a light blue with white top/blue.
im not sure about your year,put a post in the "jego"section,it stands for (johnson evinrude gale outboards)the guys there can tell you alot about your motor.
is it pumping a good stream of water out it,"the talltales",if not replace the impeller,heck if it has been sitting around awhile you might want to replace the impeller anyhow.

is it a selectric shift?if so it takes a lighter type of lower end oil,but im no expert on these motors,check with the jego guys,and most of all have alot of fun with it,john
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34424

im probably wong here,but it looks like your missing a clamp that clamps the steering cable to the boat,and the clamp the connects the cable to the engine,i "think" that motor was originaly made for cable/pully steering.

---Mark Twain

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34425

Its not a selectric shift. It has a standard manual engagement forward neutral reverse with a dual lever set-up. The engine runs good and pumps out a large amount of water. I did find that the earmuff style water adapters don't work well but when i put the motor in a barrel it was great..

Thanks, Ill post in the JEGO area about the linkage as well.

Re:1962 Nylox 16ft 13 years 3 months ago #34591

Ok so I think I got he linkage Idea figured out thanks to the JEGO forum. I was working on the Boat today and found the previous owner did a poor job at redoing the floor. I am going to re-do it but was curious about the stringers and what you normally coat the wood floor in.

The flooring is brand new but when it was done they didn't put any stringers through the center and it tends to sage a bit when walking on it. I haven't pulled the floor up yet but wanted to know more about the floor rebuild before I started. When they did the floor they also covered access to the hull plug, and attempted to make a door for access but its in the wrong stop and over a foot and a half away so you literally have to lay down and reach up to the plug and only can feel it there is no visual at all.

It would be great if I could get some info on the best materials for the new floor and maybe some pictures of stringers and bracing that should be done.

Thanks everyone.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.260 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5863 guests and no members online