Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: rons console for the manta

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33681

john, wondering why you changed it. the tach was positioned under the radio in a straight panel and the remote was flat not raised. the tach will be hard to see sitting behind the remote.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33684

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
ron,its like i said while you were here,the handle on the remote was not on right,it was set too far back,now you can see just how far forward the handle is,to be able to get the full stroke,the other way you would only have forward gear,this remote has the same amount of travel as your old one,so you will basicly have the same thing as you had before if its mounted on the gunnel like it was before.
also the control wires are steel ,where it comes out of the remote,in the pic you can see where the remote had to be angled to fit under the seat and still have room to go under the seat,and still have room to use the key
like i asked in the original post let me finish it then,if you dont like i will not put it in,as for placement of everything ,i only have that amount of room to work with(between the seat and the dash,it just wouldnt work out,i can probably angle the tach,a little to see it easier,it looks better then the pipe clamp and its easier to see then the way it was,but if you dont like it will stop,maybe i can make it fit the devil ray,that way its not a total loss of 2 days of work ,alot of thinking too,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33687

john, i'm really sorry...don't waste another minute on my hair brained idea. the console was something i dreamed about since i bought the boat. i posted about it many times. i just wish someone would of told me that with the 180 degree throw of a merc remote it wouldn't work in my TINY boat because of the short distance between the front of the seat and the dash. guess i'll have to keep on leaning like i'm scratching my foot,lol... or it will be more of a trailer queen than ever. i just can't believe that donald canazzi would design such a radical hull and place the remote almost on the floor where it is out of normal reach. ron

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33691

John, you're up to your usual craftsmanship. One question, why polished stainless on the top? Is there a possibility of reflected sunlight creating a problem?

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33692

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok ,ron,i will quit on it.
thanks tudor,yeah it will be shiney,but it would look great,if and thats a big if,if i can get it cut without bending it,i had bought it for one of my boats but thought i would use it here for the looks of it.oh well it was worth a shot,im going to go lay it in the boat to see if it even fits,lol,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33693

todd, john has some stainless and i liked it. the amount of time that i use the boat any reflection is insignificant. also i always wear sunglasses. its a mute point now...i'm probably the only one that doesn't like it. think i'll shoot myself. ron

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33694

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron dont be worried about it,its just some peices of wood put together,maybe i can make it fit another boat,i just have to find a radio that fits,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33695

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron,here are5 pics with it in the boat,remember it will be upholstered and MAYBE,lol,stainless on top,if not the top will be vinyled alsothe 1st pic is a view from the drivers seat,there are a total of 5 pics so this may take awhile,lol,darn dial up,john,p.s i cut it a little short under the dash so it would slide right in or out,but the stainless or upholstered panels will cover that.

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33696

Guys, I like the idea of the console, but maybe just keep it to cup holders and radio/tach?

I have the control box in a very favorable location in the Sting Ray, (same deck as Manta). All I did was use the top two holes on the mount for the bottom two holes in the control box, moving it up about 4 inches. It's very easy to reach. I'll post pics later, my little camera is at work, and I can't find the cord for the big one.

I think that would work better for you and you wouldn't have to monkey around hiding the cables. You could also then use the console for it's intended purpose, cup holders and radio etc.

Just my $.02, hope you don't mind. :)

Here is the pic, I went out and took a pic from my cell phone and emailed it to myself...lol...

Looks like I used the two front holes, and I know, I need to make the box longer to get some contact on the other two holes. Just add it to the long list of little things I need to do on this boat.

BTW the console looks great John, can you make one for me? :)
Attachments:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Classic Fiberglass Boat Owners Association:
www.classicfiberglasboats.com/

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33697

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
cc,that would be alright,except rons steering wheel is a very deep dish type,he would still have some problems reaching it.
the way it was the cables and all the wires were laying across and even digging into the seat,this way you will not see any of that,but its rons boat ill do it however he wants,he isnt coming for it for awhile,i may just finish it,i have alot of time in it,and it may fit the devil ray,so dont worry ron,it will be used by me if you dont want,its no big deal buddy,i will put it back the way it was.
but you might consider a steering wheel that doesnt come out so far towards you,something with a little less deep,john
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33698

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
cc,rons mounting platform is way further ahead and way lower then yours.
and sure ill make you one anytime you want,and of course like i always love doing,no charge buddy,just pay it forward.

ron dont feel bad about it like i said it will get used somewhere,its not a big deal,no problem my good friend,john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33699

Steering wheel is about the same as mine, but I moved my seats down a good 4 inches and pushed back as far as possible to accommodate legs and gut...lol...

Ron's seat is probably up a good 2 inches higher than mine, (thinner seat) and back at least as far, (again thinner seat).

Just more info for you, hope you get it worked out, :)

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33700

dave, if you moved your seat back from stock position then your remote mounting box would be further away from you. your stingray control mounting box is not in the the same position as the mantaray.

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33701

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
cc,here is where his mounting platform is now,and how the remote is placed,but its a mute point anyhow,if ron dosent like the console,and i understand compleatly,i was trying to get it to go flatter but it wouldnt work out,i had to angle it.
ron i just wanted you to see it in the boat,now i will take it out for you,im sorry buddy i tried.
ron just sent me a drawing i will see what i can do with that,john,ps. heres the pic now imagine a deep dish steering wheel in the wy no wonder it was hard to reach.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33702

john, maybe i'll try extending the control box back to the front of the seat. how much further back would i be able to mount the merc remote you gave me? i sent you a drawing for the re-configuration of the console. just a simple front only up and down. cd player as you have it..with the tach and a classic marine clock under the tach. anyone have a clock??

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33703

john-gibson wrote:

cc,here is where his mounting platform is now,and how the remote is placed,but its a mute point anyhow,if ron dosent like the console,and i understand compleatly,i was trying to get it to go flatter but it wouldnt work out,i had to angle it.
ron i just wanted you to see it in the boat,now i will take it out for you,im sorry buddy i tried.
ron just sent me a drawing i will see what i can do with that,john,ps. heres the pic now imagine a deep dish steering wheel in the wy no wonder it was hard to reach.

yep a poor design flaw.....

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33704

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
lol,ron,i just sent you an email telling you that i can try to extend your mounting platform back,and you still may be able to use your original controls,lol,i guess great minds think alike.

does anyone out there want a console for a manta ray,if so i will finish it up,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33706

Here's a mash-up, be gentle with me, I suck with paint, but you get the idea...

Lots of installers, even OE used trim screws and a plate to mount the controls hanging from the gunwales, just a thought...
Attachments:

Dave in sunny Buffalo

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33709

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
yeah dave,im already thinking i can mount a good looking mount for the original remotes by securing it to the original mounting plate and the gunnel,it would be an extension so to speak,john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33713

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
if anyone has a radio/cd player they dont want let me know,i think i can make this console work in my devil ray,ill finish putting on the white vinyl and stainless(maybe ill put stainless on it),and also a tach for a 62 45 hp merc.

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33716

cc1000 wrote:

Here's a mash-up, be gentle with me, I suck with paint, but you get the idea...

Lots of installers, even OE used trim screws and a plate to mount the controls hanging from the gunwales, just a thought...

the problem dave is with the handle. mine is so damn long it limits where you can mount it. the one john gave me is like yours and can be re-located easily.

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33719

Hi John - I don't think that console will work with the Mercury control. For my 1350 to get full speed the handle would be through the top of the console. The throw is very long on these controls. If you look at the handle on mine, mounted midship, straight up is neutral and idle. At full speed the throttle rotates forward well past the plane of the seat, meaning it would hit the console well before the boat was at full speed.

Brian
Attachments:

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33726

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
nope brian the way you see the control handle IS at full throttle forward,and even in reverse it doesnt hit the seat,yes nuetral is dead center,but it doesnt matter anyhow ,i got an email from a member with a manta ray that wants to buy it,so if i dont use it ,i will sell it to him.
i tried it and have room to spare in both directions,and the cables work great,they extend fully,and retract fully,now with rons original controls it wouldnt work,but with the ones in the console it work great,john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33729

Hmmmm....big difference. My handle moves several inches more than in your photo. At full throttle the handle is below the bottom of the control box.

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33736

ever consider moving the box off to the right, and reversing the handle for it is out board of the console and unobstructed?

ron's box is also reversible, it could be mounted directly to the right side of the console.

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33741

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
guys im saying that it DOES fit and work great right where it is,it operates perfectly where it is right now,it took alot of figureing,thinking and alot patterns to get it where it would work in the console, thats why is at an angle,and also to get the cables and wires to go under the seat ,and still be able to use the key,ill take pics tomorrow with it in its compleate range,forward ,neutral and reverse,and like i said i will put it in my devil ray ,if i dont sell it to the other guy,or if it doesnt fit in my devil ray,i will give it to him for free ,thats how i like doing it,paying it forward like a great friend of mine told me to do a long time ago when he did me a favor.now im going to go look for a cheap waterproof radio/cd player and tach,for in it,i already have a remote like this,that the plug fits my 45 hp merc.im going to finish it since i already have 2 days in it,whats one more day.
then i will finish the stuff ron wanted done ,then try to get the devil ray finished for hammondsport.

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33746

Workmanship looks great and it fits the lines. It will look great where ever it ends up.

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33752

ok lets put this to rest. when john mocked up the first console the merc control layed flat (no upward angle) and was positioned about 4" in front of the seat so i could get my fingers in there to turn the key, the tach was under the cd player. the wires that come out of the back of the remote won't bend to fit under the seat, hence the reason he had to raise it up and install on an angle so the wires would clear the seat supports. he did a superb job and 99 out of 100 people would like it, but i loved the mock up version and when i saw the change (the remote on an upward angle) i just didn't care for it. now of course this totally bummed me out knowing all the time john put into it. john told me not to worry about it as someone inquired about it and wants it for there mantaray, or he could keep it and use it in his devilray. i felt much better after hearing that.(here i haul a boat 7 hrs. for a man to do this work for free and waste his weekend, and i don't like it.) i think you can imagine how i felt. well anyway john is building me a simple vertical console on a slight angle to house my cd player, tach and clock. we'll try to move my original remote to a more comfortable position and if that can't be done we'll use the other one that john gave to me.
i was going to ask about a hardtop...but now i'm afraid..hehe..only kidding john. love ya bud, ron

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33753

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
thank you bob,i think it will look good in the devil ray ,at least this made me make up my mind on which boat to try to do for hammondsport.

right back at ya ron,im going to make it fit the devil ray.john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33757

I was going to try to make it up to John's last weekend but we had too many family things going on. I still have not met John and we are only about 40 minutes apart. I was hoping to meet two friends and kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I don't want to step on anyones toes. And Ron I love your boat. Sorry.

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33758

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bob you should have come up and met ron and ed and me,we worked on the boat most of the weekend,but it wasnt enough time to do things right,so ron was kind enough to leave it here,and dont worry, ron doesnt get mad at anyone,hes a good guy.
bob you can come up anytime ,just let me know when so i am here ,heck bring a trailer for that 50 dollar boat ,lol,i need to get it off the trailer i got for the flying fish.like i said ill through in a brand new folding seat for it,lol.
ron have you got a clock yet?i will need that before i can make the new console.john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33759

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron ,if we are not putting the controls in the new console do you want me to make the one i mocked up?,i already have the patterns made,and where the part of the console is more flat i can make a place like a glove box,to keep your things in,like paper work etc,john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33764

robert_lorigan wrote:

I was going to try to make it up to John's last weekend but we had too many family things going on. I still have not met John and we are only about 40 minutes apart. I was hoping to meet two friends and kill two birds with one stone so to speak. I don't want to step on anyones toes. And Ron I love your boat. Sorry.

sorry for what?

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33767

john-gibson wrote:

ron ,if we are not putting the controls in the new console do you want me to make the one i mocked up?,i already have the patterns made,and where the part of the console is more flat i can make a place like a glove box,to keep your things in,like paper work etc,john

john, just make the simple flat 1 piece on a slight angle.i think the clock is out. can't find a single one on ebay and no one answered my post. leave room at the bottom and if i ever find one i'll drill it out to fit. don't think i don't welcome your ideas...i surely do. ron

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33775

Where do the heater controls go? :silly:

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33777

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ron if i make it a simple one flat peice then you will see the sides of the radio and tach,maybe i should just leave an award winning boat the way it is buddy,i can put it back the way it was.
im sorry my friend i tried very hard,and i let you down,john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33778

john, you can enclose the sides.

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33779

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok ron thats what i will do,please remember that i have epoxy some supports to the floor to attach to,but they wont be seen,john

---Mark Twain

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33780

don't worry about it affecting future show awards. i'm done with the judging. i've won my share. now i want to enjoy the boat as comfortably as possible without us banging our knees on the cd player and tach.

Re:rons console for the manta 13 years 3 months ago #33781

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok ron,it worked out anyhow i just sold the console to a nice fella,that has a boatshop,and im happy with the price,his shop will finish it when they start on the manta ray that they have,ill get back on your boat in the morning,john

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7740 guests and no members online