Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Check those winch lines. Disaster averted.

Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33674

Well someone just had to go fishing before the storms came this morning. I stayed out until it was almost upon me. I hurried and got the boat on the trailer and pulled it to the top of the steep launch only to see it had backed down a good 16 inches. The winch line had broken. Many years ago when I bought this boat the wooden keel had been hogged out a bit, meaning it had an upward bow in the middle of the boat. It was caused by lack of support in the back. I had put a block covered with carpet back there to take the weight off the transom. I would put 6 inches of water in the boat during the week for a while and it both softened the wood and allowed it to go back into shape. I then left the keel dry and it was once again straight. That improved the way it rode. I left that block in because it did not effect trailering the boat. Well that is what stopped her from just rolling off the trailer.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33675

• Amigoid
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I had my brand new winch welded on by a neighbor and he accidentally melted the winch strap. Fortunately this was discovered in a non-emergency situation when my Vintage Outboards repair guy was swapping out the rubber nose support on the trailer and was winching it down tight.
He had a spare strap and all was well again.

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33677

Amigoid,
it was nice meeting you at Pats yesterday.

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33682

That reminds of the time i worked fore metal craft trailers. We made a 4 axle trailer fore a 380 see ray it was a new model and we had to fit the bunks to the boat. We had the frame ready but the boat was a day late. This was Friday of the 4th of July weekend and the customer was in a big herry and not very happy. We had to bring in a big crane to lift the boat over the trailer to fit the bunks and it was very windy we had to ty the boat of to every thing we had that was heavy like fork lifts, trucks to keep it from moving around. Well we got her finished up got the boat siting on the trailer got the lifting straps of and sent the crane on it way we started to get the lines off the boat and this guy got his truck and hooked up the trailer and with out checking to see if it was tyed dawn he took off.One of the lines was steel hooked to the big fork lift!!!!! well the boat slid off in the parking lot WHAT A MESS. The boat spent the week end in the parking lot.

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33686

robert im glad you caught it before it came off the trailer,and at least no one got hurt,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33688

I always use a safety line between the trailer and the boat. Have even seen a piece of chain bolted to the trailer with a hook on the end.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33689

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

Have even seen a piece of chain bolted to the trailer with a hook on the end.

I've got that set-up Todd, but I didn't used to hook it up until I got up the ramp and was tying down the boat. Think I'll change my routine and start doing it before pulling up the ramp! Thanks for the "heads up" Robert, glad it didn't get ugly on ya!

Mark

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33690

At that time the only thing securing the boat and trailer was gravity and the winch line. It is also the enemy. I usually go to the top of the ramp before I secure the boat. I've been rethinking that. This ramp has concrete pads running across and a washboard action.
Attachments:

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33714

• n0ukf
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
flyingbrian wrote:

That reminds of the time i worked fore metal craft trailers. We made a 4 axle trailer fore a 380 see ray it was a new model and we had to fit the bunks to the boat. We had the frame ready but the boat was a day late. This was Friday of the 4th of July weekend and the customer was in a big herry and not very happy. We had to bring in a big crane to lift the boat over the trailer to fit the bunks and it was very windy we had to ty the boat of to every thing we had that was heavy like fork lifts, trucks to keep it from moving around. Well we got her finished up got the boat siting on the trailer got the lifting straps of and sent the crane on it way we started to get the lines off the boat and this guy got his truck and hooked up the trailer and with out checking to see if it was tyed dawn he took off.One of the lines was steel hooked to the big fork lift!!!!! well the boat slid off in the parking lot WHAT A MESS. The boat spent the week end in the parking lot.

My brain hurts.

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33717

n0ukf wrote:

My brain hurts.

Is this a spelling and grammar forum or a boating forum? Oh right, a boating forum, so keep this shit to yourself.

Re:Check those winch lines. Disaster averted. 13 years 3 months ago #33721

I never missspel any wurds. I'm a reel good speler. LOL If I know my spelling piss's someone off I can get real bad at it LOL I got thinking today about my winch line. I just never thought about it much. That line is at least 10 years old. I'm thinking I will buy a new one.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7799 guests and no members online