Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: how to remove drain tube

how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33638

Hey folks, I have a FIBERGLASS boat question!

How do I remove the drain tube flange thingy without destroying the surrounding fiberglass? This is a thru-transom drain for the splashwell. It is not the bilge drain. The flange is all corroded and needs to be replaced. I do not want to wreck the fiberglass of the transom.

This is in my 1966 fiberglass Chris-Craft by Thompson 17'-6" Corsair Sport-V outboard.

Andreas

Outside of transom:

Inside of splashwell:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33641

You can grind off the interior flare of the thru-hull and then just drive it through to the outside. Then we have to purchase a new thru-hull and we use a special flaring tool to flare the new thru-hull, but a boat mechanic should be able to do that for you.

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33642

It also depends if it was seated in something like 3M 5200. If so, it will be very difficult to get out without a drill big enough to drill it out. Otherwise, I would do as haynesfiberglass suggests first and see if I got lucky.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33645

andreas,in the pictures ,the plug itself doesnt look too bad ,(its hard to tell by pictures though)but have you tryed to buff it before you take it out,i would use a rotary tool with a buffing wheel.

but if it is too bad,and you arent able to get it out using the other methods,(good suggestions by the way),you can tap on the opposite sides of the tube ,on the inside 1st until it collapses,then repeat on the outside the same way,then pull out with pliers,it has worked for me before,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33647

p.s. if you use this method,tape around the hole with heavy duct tape in case the screw driver slips,so it doesnt scratch your boat,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33652

how do I grind it off without destroying the adjacent fiberglass surfaces?

Andreas

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33653

Use a Dremel tool with a metal cutting wheel. The wheel will fit inside the tube. Cut the tube in half from the inside then carefully use a small screw driver to pop out each half. Any damage that would have been done to the wood inside the transom will be sealed with chalk or 5200 when you put the new tube in.

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33655

Excellent idea!

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33659

tricks of the trade!!!!! I have one of those dremmel thingys someplace.

Andreas

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33683

I personally have never used any power tools to remove a drain tube. As John Gibson mentions in his response, the tube can be collapsed and tapped out with very little difficulty.

Get a large flat blade screwdriver (just an old junker one) You will use the screwdriver just like a wood chistle, even though most of us know that you're not supposed to do that. Place the tip of the screwdriver on the metal "ledge" of the flared tube. Then hit the end of the srewdriver handle with a hammer. The objective is to push the walls of the drain tube inward, making the end of the tube collapse. A chistle is too sharp & will cut the flare off & likely, damage the fiberglass. Just go around the outside of the flare untill the entire rim has been collapsed. The tube can then be driven out quite easily.

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33715

Bruce Gerard wrote:

I personally have never used any power tools to remove a drain tube. As John Gibson mentions in his response, the tube can be collapsed and tapped out with very little difficulty.

Get a large flat blade screwdriver (just an old junker one) You will use the screwdriver just like a wood chistle, even though most of us know that you're not supposed to do that. Place the tip of the screwdriver on the metal "ledge" of the flared tube. Then hit the end of the srewdriver handle with a hammer. The objective is to push the walls of the drain tube inward, making the end of the tube collapse. A chistle is too sharp & will cut the flare off & likely, damage the fiberglass. Just go around the outside of the flare untill the entire rim has been collapsed. The tube can then be driven out quite easily.

This is how I've done ALL of mine with NO ISSUES!!! Back in the day, the mfg's usually did not use any kind of adhesive to glue the tubes into the transom. They usually tap out with no problem whatsoever..

Here's a pic of how to make your own Flaring Tool when it's time to install the new Drain Tube
(Click the pic to enlarge)

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33722

I just used a inch copper tube on mine. Sealed around it with a good marine grade caulking. My boat does not sit in the water. I take it out every time it is used. It's been in there for years with no issues. Another thing I have no plywood inside my transom. I embedded it in tigerhair. It is not like most of your drain holes.
Attachments:

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33724

flamingo that is a fantastic idea to install the drain tub I've been trying to think of a good way to make a tool for the job and that looks like it will work great. Thanks!

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33834

I bought a flanging tool from Hamilton Marine. If you're interested here is the link.

store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse.cfm/flanging-tool-for-drain-tube-1-123524-/4,6791.html

Re:how to remove drain tube 13 years 3 months ago #33836

I have also used the collapse method described by John, Bruce and MyFlamingo... on the G3 I am restoring now. Worked great and was very easy. I used a worn blade screwdriver and a medium sized ball pien hammer to bend the flange inward, then drove it through the hole with a few more hammer swings.

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7705 guests and no members online