Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: removing paint on gelcoat?

removing paint on gelcoat? 13 years 3 months ago #33554

I have a '73 Chrysler Conqueror S-III. It has it's original all white gelcoat, but a previous owner repainted over an original, I assume, painted stripe on the hull. It's the wrong color and done with a brush, so it looks awful. I'd like to remove it, but don't want to damage anything.
I've been researching ways of removing paint on gelcoat without damaging the gelcoat this morning. There seem to be many opinions on the internet about this, so I thought I would check here and see if there might be some thoughts and perhaps a consensus from the fiberglass boat folks as to the safest way to do it.
thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:removing paint on gelcoat? 13 years 3 months ago #33560

are you going to be repainting?

I found that I was able to use 2500psi pressure washer with a pinpoint tip as the paint didnt adhere well to the gell coat. I was repainting so I sanded everything smooth after that.

Re:removing paint on gelcoat? 13 years 3 months ago #33562

I "may" repaint the stripe properly and in the correct color...if I can find an original reference to use.
From pictures on the web, I think this stripe that I want to remove is larger than the factory stripe, so I want to remove it without damaging the unpainted gelcoat underneath.

Re:removing paint on gelcoat? 13 years 3 months ago #33566

I would either sand it off or use a chemical paint remover. More dust with the sanding. Ensure you put lots of plastic down to collect the mess if you use the chemical peel route.

Re:removing paint on gelcoat? 13 years 3 months ago #33584

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Use a 'gelcoat safe' chemical stripper, if you can. It'll be the easiest way. They are not NEARLY as strong as the other strippers out there, but the more powerful ones will take your gelcoat off, too!

Even with the 'safe' ones, do a test area first to make sure it doesn't eat the gel-coat!

Re:removing paint on gelcoat? 13 years 3 months ago #33585

Do Not use any paint remover with methylene chloride witch is one of the main ingredients in most off the shelf paint strippers .
I will turn your gel-coat into a gooey snotty mess, you wont be very happy .

i used a stripper called "Back to Nature" gel-coat safe paint remover and it worked very well removing automotive paint off my boat .

Jamestown distributors sell it .

www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/search.do?freeText=back%20to%20nature&resultPref=all&page=GRID&history=asjgyufe|top_category|page~GRID^category~532^user_att_name0~UserType^user_att_value0~NewUser^subCategoryName~Paints^categoryName~category_root

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7695 guests and no members online