• Page:

TOPIC: 57 Custom Craft Restore Has Begun Finally

57 Custom Craft Restore Has Begun Finally 13 years 4 months ago #33138

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
It finally stopped raining and being miserable here in upstate NY so I started on the CC Sea Ray yesterday. I am with Frank in that taking everything off is already a pain let alone bolting it all back up. I know it had to be done to do the job right but this poor little boat was loaded with so many snaps(too many riveted and needing drilling out) and tons of none stainless nuts and bolts added on that were so rusted had to be cut off etc. Many hours yesterday and I am almost to the point of starting to prep and fill holes and cracks etc.
The old rub rail had about 100 tiny little screws alone placed from underneath. Good news is these things were built right when it comes to attaching the top to the hull though.... brass rivets every 6 inches and thank goodness my transom is sound and I don't have to separate the top...that would be a pain.

Still trying to decide what color to paint her and would like to stick with the stock blue top sides and white bottom but I'd like to stick on budget and use Rustoleum paint at 1/4th the price of epoxy marine paint(as I have done many many times with great result) but the light blue is not an option there any more.

I am debating the Rustoleum Bright Red marine top side paint I saw today at my local Home D. but I wonder how it will cover the blue gel coat. Should I use a primer to transition the difference in colors?
www.rustoleum.com/CBGProduct.asp?pid=4
I know it is gonna probably take at least 3-4 coats but the good thing about Rusoleum is that it will take wet sanding well between. The only other colors offered were Sand Beige and Oyster White in the Marine top sides. I don't know what to do....I guess I could make the long drive to Boat US(West Marine) and get some $60 Petite in blue?

In any case here is some "before" pics to show the beginning of the progress and I'll update as I get along. It is always so frustrating being patient as you work on the prep and just want to start laying on the paint isn't it. But we all know that is key.....the two P's Preparation and Patience.

AS I Found Her:

Most of the stuff stripped off....as you can see the original blue gel coat color on the dash under the square which is for the start plate(ignition and choke) which tells me that the 58 Johnson 35 was either original or added shortly thereafter,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:57 Custom Craft Restore Has Begun Finally 13 years 4 months ago #33154

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
B.F. Good deal .. A lot of C.C's had the upper color of TEAL or turqoise if you want slight darker..? Also not sure of today or your area price, but had used INTERLUX " BRIGHT SIDES" in the past , good with brush ..

Re:57 Custom Craft Restore Has Begun Finally 13 years 4 months ago #33155

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
That's a sweet looking boat- I can't wait to see the restoration progress.

Red will be a NICE color... You're going to want to prime it regardless of the color you use, just to get a good surface for the top coat. Red is a tough color to get coverage, it took a LOT of coats on my Glasspar to get it 'right', and even then there are a few areas that I'm not too happy with!

I used a paint called Supermarine Revolution. I sprayed MOST of it, but I've used it with a brush as well. Cost wise, it's between Rustoleum and the more expensive 'Marine' paints. I've known a few people that have used it, and they seem to be happy with it long term. I've had it on the boat for about a year, and so far so good- Though my boat is still being worked on, it's outside most of the time. It'll be interesting to see how it lasts long-term.

My Custom Craft (Tiger Ray) is red now- and will probably stay red IF I ever get to it! So many projects....

-Andrew

Re:57 Custom Craft Restore Has Begun Finally 13 years 4 months ago #33156

Great boat. Still trying to get a hold of the guy in MA with the free one. He won't respond. Very strange.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:57 Custom Craft Restore Has Begun Finally 13 years 4 months ago #33166

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thetudor,

The guy in Waltham Mn emailed me on 5/20 saying it was still available and he even provided a phone and address. Just too far away from me to think about getting a matching boat.

Email me and I will forward it to you.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thanks,
Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6436 guests and no members online