Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Repair or Scrap?

Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33052

I have a free Lone Star Cadet.

Unfortunately there is some missing floor at the back, near the transom. How big of a project is it to replace the missing section? Should I just saw it up and take it to the dump? Seems a shame since the rest of the hull is pretty good.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33054

Never scrap a boat if you can help it. Now if the transom is solid fix the floor its not that hard. I have a G3 I have to replace all the stringers and transome and floor but it will be worth it when done.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33083

I'd say to fix it. But that is me. Make a fun project if that is all is wrong. How's the gelcoat?

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33084

The exterior looks pretty good to me, a couple chips from storage damage but generally OK.

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33146

I'm with Mike and Robert. Restore that baby and get her back in her natural habitat. :laugh:

Bob

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33151

Any good how to's out there? Particularly with the foam under the plywood?

Thanks

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33171

I am in the middle of restoring a 1961 Lonestar Flamingo Fiberglass boat. It is a very rewarding project. These classic beauties are getting few a far between so restoring them will make you a very proud individual and when you pull up to the launch ramp people will be attracted like mosquito's. I have found the iBoats.com forum to be the BEST boat restoration forum on the web where you can get the absolute best advice from some of the best boat restorers across the country. Hundreds of examples with pictures and informtion on fiberglass methods and materials. I would highly recommend checking out their restoration forum.

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33186

So I stopped by a boat repair buddy to get some advice. He wasn't too optimistic. The transom isn't as good as I hoped and it seems the top would need to be cut off to replace it. Not sure I want to get into that
Attachments:

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33187

Here's another picture of the front.
Attachments:

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33188

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
you do not have to cut anything. The top pops off the hull. Undo the rub rail and remove the screws or rivets underneath it then you lift the top off the boat to get at the transom and floor.
Doing all that cutting makes the job more difficult. Cutting fairing and bonding I can see on a larger boat/vessel but on these little things the way to keep your project and life easy is to split the top from the hull.
are you sure there is foam under the plywood floor?

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33189

I doubt there is floatation foam under the deck. Where are you located. If you are close to Oklahoma, I will take the boat off your hands before you destroy her.

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33199

Yep, it's foam under the wood. Lone Star was one of the first to do this, check it out. Also the top half is glassed to the bottom, see photo of the rear steering cable pulley, just a fiberglass seam, no other fasteners. I could saw it apart but then it would need to be glassed back together somehow.
Attachments:

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33201

MyFlamingo wrote:

I doubt there is floatation foam under the deck. Where are you located. If you are close to Oklahoma, I will take the boat off your hands before you destroy her.

The boat is in Canada, north of Toronto, might be a bit of a drive for you.

Re:Repair or Scrap? 13 years 4 months ago #33444

Don't scrap her...set a budget, read everything, ask questions, and go for it. I took the top off my project boat in a few hours and had no clue as to what I was doing when I started. Now I could take a top off in half the time! I am about to start on the floor and the transom after that.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6494 guests and no members online