Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Making headway

Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33032

got a zillion things to do and of course, could NOT find my lift ring this morning. Nevertheless I still got the motor mounted on a freshly washed boat. Still need to fill the lower unit, hook up the trim cylinders, bolt the motor to the hull, install the controls, hook up the steering, install the steering wheel, stuff like that. then I can put the seats in. Just want to get enough done to drag it over to Silver Lake next weekend if I can.

Hope all you folks are doing well.

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33051

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like you got the hardest part done Frank, she's looking FINE!

Mark

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33053

Now this time take your glass's off so you can't see any imperfections and the boat will look great as it always does. And please don't hurt you self.
Dam and the boat looks good as per.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33060

You don't want to look at it very close, trust me guys. Rub your hand over it and feel all the little bumps. Whatever the reason, it's okay, but I don't like it! Guess I'll just have to go boating.

Hopefully wrap this baby up tomorrow. Need to work on our tiny travel trailer too. Got lots of stuff to install!

Frank

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33069

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Frank do you have any extra props? I am thinking 21" as that seems to be a common # for the PC crew. Had the 15T out for the first time and I am hitting 6200-4 plus.Tach stops at 6 but does not have a needle stop,so it keeps climbing.Just went over 6 for few seconds as most say 6G is tops for a 66.I have to pick up a hub wrench to get the tangs lifted ,don't want to butcher them up with screwdriver.So I am not sure whats on there now,but the extra 2 bronze blader that came with it is 19". Just want to try or buy if correct pitch. If your out I might check Tim out,will go SS once I get the correct number.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33079

John, all I have is a 3 blade aluminum 17 pitch and a 2 blade bronze 19 pitch.

I have found that material, number of blades and cup type all influence handling. I forget exactly how it worked out, but Dave Cummings lent me a cupped SS prop that got me to 4800, but more important, it was the first time the boat had performed the way it was supposed to. that allowed me to narrow down pitch for rpm, and I got an SS cupped prop from Dave Bernard that dialed me into 5200+, where I wanted to be.

Good luck!

Frank

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33094

Hey Frank did you get those new Powercat Decals on that I sent you yet? Post some pics when you do. I have been working with Danny some this spring and Now I have 16 different styles for the boys in stock. Everthing from Boats, Trucks and Shop decals "Oh My".
I got a Note from Dave (cc1000) today saying he was getting ready for a show out there so are you going too?
Cowboy

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33096

I have a 23P 3 blade aluminum if anyone wants to try it. Just aerates on the Missile. I'm running a 2 blade 22P stainless cupped on that and it runs nice.

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33097

MinnesotaFiberglassMuseum wrote:

Hey Frank did you get those new Powercat Decals on that I sent you yet? Post some pics when you do. I have been working with Danny some this spring and Now I have 16 different styles for the boys in stock. Everthing from Boats, Trucks and Shop decals "Oh My".
I got a Note from Dave (cc1000) today saying he was getting ready for a show out there so are you going too?
Cowboy

Not yet Cowboy. Learned a big lesson this spring. Not worth it stripping the boat to paint, still looks crummy. All that work, sanding, painting, now putting all the deck hardware back on just about killed me. Back and shoulders can't do it anymore buddy. Motor is not coming off again either, unless I don't have a choice. Will try to get decals on before the ACBS show in mid-July in Hammondsport. Good thing I got a dock for that show so people can't get up and look close at the finish or feel how rough it is.

Anyways, I'm a long way from being done putting the boat back together. Not fun!

Maybe someday my ship (boat?) will come in. :)

Frank

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33102

frank, how did you get dock space?

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33107

Filled out the registration form: www.winecountryclassicboats.com/interest.htm

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33111

frank, i sent for a reg. form. my printer won't print it for some reason.

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33119

Email Terry, he'll send ya one. I got one in the mail when they first came out because Gail and I are members of the chapter that puts that event on.

Frank

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33121

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I got the numbers and on the prop there is a stamped # 15 with a big space then a P.Now the selection chart says its a 11" pitch from the other numbers stamped on the 3 blader.That one was reving over 6200. I went out today with the 2 blader that is stamped and verified from the other numbers as a 19" but all I could get with two on board was 4100.When I first hit it I thought it read 5400,then I handed over the wheel,next time I looked ,at WOT it read 4100..The engine did not have the same sound WOT as yesterday with the 3 blader on,so it must be lugging.This has me thinking 17" or 16" which seems under pitched but may be spot on.4800-5200 is what the book calls for. Frank what pitch are you running. On a side note I raised the pin hole one and hit some waves,felt real light and my brother was worried about catching to much air and flipping.Still some cold pockets of air on the Niagara,wish I brought a sweater,78 on land and 58 2 hundred yards off shore.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33129

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
looks nice Frank. I Sea a b-o-a-t lur-King in the background.

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33139

Mr. 88 wrote:

I got the numbers and on the prop there is a stamped # 15 with a big space then a P.Now the selection chart says its a 11" pitch from the other numbers stamped on the 3 blader.That one was reving over 6200. I went out today with the 2 blader that is stamped and verified from the other numbers as a 19" but all I could get with two on board was 4100.When I first hit it I thought it read 5400,then I handed over the wheel,next time I looked ,at WOT it read 4100..The engine did not have the same sound WOT as yesterday with the 3 blader on,so it must be lugging.This has me thinking 17" or 16" which seems under pitched but may be spot on.4800-5200 is what the book calls for. Frank what pitch are you running. On a side note I raised the pin hole one and hit some waves,felt real light and my brother was worried about catching to much air and flipping.Still some cold pockets of air on the Niagara,wish I brought a sweater,78 on land and 58 2 hundred yards off shore.

John, I run a merc vengeance 3 blade ss cupped prop on my 14T with a '63 merc1000 with pt&t. Took almost all summer to figure it out, but it's an ideal prop for my boat. Part of my problem early on was a bad tach too. I bought a good outboard tach and it does great. I'm at or just over 5200 at WOT trimmed out.

Frank

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33140

Thanks Jim. Almost got it done today, but not quite.

Yuk, yuk, yuk.

Frank

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33141

Looking good Frank....almost there. Being too lazy to search thu your other posts... what kind of paint did you use for the red? All I recall is that you used the roll/tip and had to re-do? Was it red gel-coat originally? And btw...what did you use for the inside white color?

Trying to figure out if I should go from blue to red on my CC Sea Ray(see other post).

Thanks and good luck with the finishing up.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33142

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Frank whats the pitch on the vengance? Sorry won't ask anymore questions as I don't want to jack your thread,,anymore than I have.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33149

barnfinder wrote:

Looking good Frank....almost there. Being too lazy to search thu your other posts... what kind of paint did you use for the red? All I recall is that you used the roll/tip and had to re-do? Was it red gel-coat originally? And btw...what did you use for the inside white color?

Trying to figure out if I should go from blue to red on my CC Sea Ray(see other post).

Thanks and good luck with the finishing up.

Tim

Top of the mornin to ya Tim!

Got the kitchen sparklin clean, now it's to the shop, but a few posts here. Another good warm day in central east NYS 70 at 6 a.m.!

First of all, you need to understand I had never painted a boat before doing this one, and because I'm a newbie, I made a ton of mistakes, but life is full of experiences, that's how we learn, even if it is somewhat painful.

I started out with Rustoleum Marine paints, primer and top coat. My mistake? Over 4 or 5 coats of primer and 4 or 5 coats of top paint, I never sanded between coats. :( As a result, it came out looking crummy, BUT I liked that paint and wish I had stuck with it. I was talked into switching to Interlux Brightsides by a friend who has had great results continually with it. The problem with Brightsides is it is VERY incompatible with every other paint known to man (or pretty much :) ) I sanded all the Rustoleum off to apply Interlux Prekote primer and then the Brightsides, but believe compatibility problems with Brightsides means my surface will never look great. Bottom line? If I ever do another boat (or re-do this one), it will either be Rustoleum Marine (for a number of reasons), or I'll have a pro do base coat/clear coat in a shop. I'm trying hard to not think about painting it again right now...

Frank

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33152

Mr. 88 wrote:

Frank whats the pitch on the vengance? Sorry won't ask anymore questions as I don't want to jack your thread,,anymore than I have.

Mornin John,

First of all, I have a customized boat, basically running a standard shaft motor. in retrospect, I sort of wish I hadn't built the transom up for a standard shaft motor, but I did. I had all kinds of problems with standard aluminum props to begin with. I couldn't control the porpoising, and couldn't get the front of the boat up much. I kept plowing water. I put on Smart Tabs to control the porpoising, and while they helped some, it didn't solve my problem. Dave Cummings offered to let me try a cupped ss prop he had, and while the pitch wasn't right for my set-up, it was the 1st time the boat had performed the way it was supposed to. I figured I needed an 18 pitch, and Dave Bernard had one he sold me. So I know it's a long story, but that's the deal. Merc Vengeance 3 blade ss cupped prop in 18 pitch. Accelerates great really at all speeds, no more porpoising, and decent top speed (~45+). It was only then that I appreciated how great these old Power Cat tunnel hull boats performed. Very smooth and almost turns on a dime. Loves chop too, goes faster!

Best of luck John. Trust me, you're getting closer all the time, you just have to play with props and see what works best. You going to be at Silver Lake? You could try mine.

Frank

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33159

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Yes I plan on being at Silver so if I could try that and any other prop you have that would be great,thanks.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Making headway 13 years 4 months ago #33237

Sounds good John. I hope my back can make the trip...

Got the steering hooked up (both ends), control cable to the motor, trim works (but no doubt needs oil), motor starts, but just momentarily as it needs LU lube. I drained it in the fall, never filled it. Working on some new wiring for the tach, but man o man, working in this little boat about kills what back I have left. Had to take a break.

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6428 guests and no members online