Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Laminating Plywood for Stringer Construction

Laminating Plywood for Stringer Construction 13 years 4 months ago #33021

• MarkS
  • MarkS's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 5
Having done quite a bit of research, (no substitute for experience by any means!), and having shopped around for stringer wood, I'm still a little torn. There is no Fir readily available in this area, and spruce in the size I need for the center stringer would be around $10 per foot. (Cost prohibitive with my budget.)

I have a question: If you are laminating plywood pieces together to build your stringers, what "glue" is best (or permissible) to use to bond the pieces side by side? I think I have the "scarf joint" concept basically, but if anyone wanted to elaborate or explain further that would be greatly appreciated. :P

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Mark

Re:Laminating Plywood for Stringer Construction 13 years 4 months ago #33023

One way to lamiate the stringer material together would be to approch it like you are building a transom.
Cut your wood. Now some cut the wood just right size and the do the laminating. Me I cut the wood over size then laminate then cut the cured stringer to size. After you cut your wood cut two layers of two ounce fiberglass a little bigger than the size and lenght of your stringer material. Mix up your resin wet out the wood good lay a layer of glass then wet it out then another layer of glass the before you put the next piece of wood on wet that wood and lay it on the glass. Do this again until you have the lenght and thickness you need. Then clamp and weight it down so it will cure good and tight and straight. It will be very very strong.
Now if you are good with the math. Figure what your plywood will cost and how much resin you need and the cost of the glass. You may not have saved a lot instead of the ten dollar a foot way and spent more time doing this.

D

Re:Laminating Plywood for Stringer Construction 13 years 4 months ago #33078

• MarkS
Thanks for your response with the info Del. After sleeping on it, I've decided you're absolutely right about;

Figure what your plywood will cost and how much resin you need and the cost of the glass. You may not have saved a lot instead of the ten dollar a foot way and spent more time doing this.

Another example of the many reasons I love this place! Great advise from good people. :)

Mark

Re:Laminating Plywood for Stringer Construction 13 years 4 months ago #33098

you can just use glass risan to glue your peices togather. Just wet both peices good and clamp togather. That is how I'm going to make my transom with 3/8 ply to get it to 2ins
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re:Laminating Plywood for Stringer Construction 13 years 4 months ago #33104

I would use epoxy as. It is designed to stick but my stringers in the ssv176 were about 3/4 inch. I am surprised yours are thicker: I encapsulated them with resin.

Hello, World!!

Re:Laminating Plywood for Stringer Construction 13 years 4 months ago #33114

• MarkS

Mark

Re:Laminating Plywood for Stringer Construction 13 years 4 months ago #33193

Looks like "fir". I still prefer epoxy for structural work. (sometimes I don't take my own advice).

Hello, World!!

Re:Laminating Plywood for Stringer Construction 13 years 4 months ago #33213

• MarkS
Couldn't find any fir Ken, "settled" for #1 Spruce. Like almost every decision I have to make in life, I struggled with the material to use. I know some advise against using solid wood in stringers, but I understand that's the way Glastron did it, and the originals lasted 40 (+ or -) years in some cases. I'm thinking if I get them 'glassed in well and provide proper drainage, they should last longer than me. :laugh:

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6462 guests and no members online