Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hey all! New here, and need help with a project!

Hey all! New here, and need help with a project! 13 years 4 months ago #32991

Hey all.. just picked up a boat the other day and was looking to restore her. I have a 14ft aluminum that I was looking to grab a trailer for and a I found a trailer cheap that came with 14ft fiberglass boat.. so instead of just chucking the boat I figured I'd give it a go at restoring her. I have never done anything like this before so I searched around for articles and came across this forum. Everyone seems very helpful and looks like a lot of advice can be obtained through this community so I decided to join.

As I said, ive never restored a boat.. or anything for that matter. I have some fiber glassing knowledge, but I figure this would be a great way to learn as I go.

The owner of the boat told me it was called an Aquabird (says Aquabird on the steering wheel). He said it was modelled after the Thunderbird in the 60s. I'm not sure if this was just "sellers talk" so my first question is, what hull is this?

The outside is in good shape, inside is gonna need re glassed and carpeted. Then steering and other electrical needs done.

Any thoughts on what to start with, suggestions.. do you have any idea what boat this is, I know it was red in color before it got the brownish paint (some chipped off). Id love to see what it looked like in its glory days to get an idea of how to restore her.

Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hey all! New here, and need help with a project! 13 years 4 months ago #32992

Welcome aboard.

This is a common misconception regarding "Aquabird" as the brand of the boat. Nope, it is the brand of the steering wheel. It has nothing to do with the boat manufacturer.

Andreas

Re:Hey all! New here, and need help with a project! 13 years 4 months ago #32993

Thanks, any idea how I would go abouts trying to find the manufacturer of this boat?

Re:Hey all! New here, and need help with a project! 13 years 4 months ago #32994

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
T.C. : WELCOME. Just hope another owner zero's in on the brand. .Like above A.B. was the steering wheel supplier, just like PERKO has the name on hardware.

. We have a LIBRARY section here to browse thru & MFG & Starcraft were some of the bigger co's that had Lapstrake style bottom hulls , like grooves of the overlap wood. www.fiberglassics.com/library/MFG I would also guess about the 1967 era. as a 1st choice.

Again CONGRATS, look up under the dash, or inside the rear transom for any spec PLATE. After 1972 on the OUT side of the upper right rear transom all boats had the recessed letter / # code for H.I.N. The 1st 3 letters are the builders code assigned by govt or Coast Guard certified.. Again I see you location in Canada, so keep asking, part of the hobby.

Re:Hey all! New here, and need help with a project! 13 years 4 months ago #32998

just looked, got nothing under the dash, or back by the transom.. been searching online for days and can't find anything similar.. also could anyone direct me to a good article on setting up the steering and throttle cables..

Re:Hey all! New here, and need help with a project! 13 years 4 months ago #33108

She looks like an Arkansas Traveler, near 1960.

Re:Hey all! New here, and need help with a project! 13 years 4 months ago #33109

another question, would a 60hp be ok on something like this? or would it be too much.. i don't need that much power, but i just found a good deal on a motor that size..

Re:Hey all! New here, and need help with a project! 13 years 4 months ago #33130

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
yes she is an Arkansas Traveler. I love these boats. You got a good one.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6340 guests and no members online