Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: newb hello to all

newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32889

I just wanted to say hello to the forum. I am a new boat owner that has been reading a bit about my new (to me) acquisition which my 14yr old son thought would be interesting to learn about.

I am a chemical and process design engineer by trade and naturally like to tinker and with the help of various internet sites/forums I belong to, I have learned many new skills.

Look forward to future learning and discussions.

Randy

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32893

welcome randy,the folks here are the best.
do you have any pics of your boat,we like pics,lol,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32950

ask and you shall receive
Attachments:

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32951

Shes not pretty yet but boat, trailer and engine were the right price ....$0.00 Rotted wood components and unnecessary wires and such were removed.
Attachments:

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32952

I need to pick up a gas tank and battery to check the engine but it really looks to be in nice condition under the hood
Attachments:

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32967

rhag,is that a crosby emblem on the side?the bow looks like one,if it is ..brian lawson"crosby boat" will be able to tell you everything there is about that boat,he sure knows his stuff,hes a great restorer.
in the meantime you can look at the "glassic library" at the top of the page,you should find info there.
boy your lucky you get to restore a nice classic with your son,treasure the moments,my wife and i couldnt have kids,and it would have been a blast to have my daughter or son to help me.
john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32970

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks like a cool old boat- It'll make a fun restore project.... I like those red decks w/the 'fake' planking!

I see you've already got a GREAT anchor- Ooops, my mistake- Thats a Chrysler Outboard :P

Can't beat the price, either!

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32971

john - it is a crosby emblem, im looking for one that is missing on the other side. It is a 1959 Ranger Custom. I will check in with Brian Lawson thanks for the lead.

I turned 40 this May and came to the realization I only have 3 more summers with my boy before he goes off to college. Like me, he is really interested in learning about a lot of things. The Winter project was completed this week - Volvo V70XC engine swap with new brakes and spruced up interior. He's a big snowboarder/mountain biker thanks to my influence. Hopefully that 85hp will pull all 140lbs of him on a wakeboard too. My Father-in-law was a Red-Man pro bass tour guy but he got rid of all his boats before I married into the family so the boy never got to go boating.

Randy

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32972

Sounds like I've got some learning to do about old motors - any info on these Chryslers?

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32974

rhag,thats great ,that your kid wants to learn,my neighbors 16 year old asked if i would teach him how to paint and upholster a boat,so my next project it looks like i will have some help.
he also just got a 2001 firebird car,i told him after i get the boat done ,i will paint it for him,heck his dad and him helped get the shingles up on my roof.my wife and i are kind of the aunt and uncle of the kids around here.
i taught my 16 year old nephew how to wire when i was wiring my shed,and now hes taking electrical as a class at vo-tech.
im going to let him wire my new room addition,(with me looking over his shoulder ,of course,lol),john opps sorry i got off topic.

---Mark Twain

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #32981

I've got a 66, 50hp Chrysler outboard and yours looks to be a 70's model. Basically, the same motors. If it turns over and you have good compression, you've probably got a good motor. First, do the compression test. Or better yet, clean the plugs, put a battery on it, get some good gas and see it it will run. If it runs, shut it down and replace the impeller, fuel pump and clean the points. Chrysler's are good motors, parts are available and they're easy to maintain. Good Luck.

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #33017

Sounds like the price was right. Go for it. Fix her up! B)
Attachments:

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #33046

Hi Randy,

Welcome to both you and your son. It's great to here that we're getting younger ones interested. Keep sending photos as the project goes along. would love to see the process.

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #33217

Based on my serial and model I believe the motor to be 1969 model. Does anyone know of service manual for this series motor?
85hp Chrysler

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 4 months ago #33443

Randy, My 13 yr old son and I are working on a '62 Custom Craft we got from Mark S. It is a great way to spend time with your children and learn together in the process. Thanks for posting your boat with the red/white combo, as that is what we are considering for the CC and I like to look at other boats with the same color scheme.

Gina B.

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 3 months ago #33526

Well UGA Girl - I wouldn't expect you to choose any other color scheme. I graduated from LaGrange College and lived on the lake/river over there but never had a boat.

Good luck with the restore. I will be keeping mine Red and White.

Randy

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 3 months ago #33542

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Welcome, Randy. Found this site for repair manuals at the AOMCI website. User ID is marshall password is public .Login and click the small engine repair link on the right. Then click marine/boat motors. Scroll down to Chrysler and click. Find your motor and click. Pretty basic manuals, but helpful. search.ebscohost.com/

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 3 months ago #33567

That username and password is not working btw.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 3 months ago #33572

I got it to work that was what I was looking for thanks
looks like I will be modifying away from the CDI to the 12V coil & condenser with L86 plugs

Re:newb hello to all 13 years 3 months ago #33576

barnfinder wrote:

That username and password is not working btw.

My bad... I was trying to log into the AOMCI site...missed the link. Looks like a great resource for the manual collection.

THanks for sharing.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.235 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7821 guests and no members online