Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right??

It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right?? 13 years 4 months ago #32811

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm sure that EVERYONE out there that has done any 'glassic chasing has some similar stories... Especially those who troll Craigslist... But this one is great.

1959 Evinrude Lark, with controls and wiring. In GREAT shape. Buyer needs to be a mechanic. Still on boat.

No price listed. But, worth a look. I've already got 2 of them in nice shape, but what's one more, right?? Sure, the line "in great shape" and "Buyer needs to be a mechanic" don't quite work together, but it'w worth a shot.

The Price?? $650. Better be perfect, right? Or at least VERY nice?? Wrong. It's been painted. Missing all of the emblems EXCEPT the golden Jubilee, which happens to be cracked... And- It's not running. Made a really loud 'pop or bang' noise last time they used it (last year), and hasn't started since.... Better yet- Hasn't even turned over since. Oh, they TRIED to pull the cord- but it won't pull. But, they are sure it's a simple fix.

The best part, though, is why the buyer has to be a mechanic. You see- the motor is still on the boat. In order to get the great 'deal' that they are offering, you have to not only remove the old motor from the boat, but INSTALL the new one that they found for it, controls, wiring, and all. Otherwise, the price
on the motor goes up.

They kept saying that "it's worth a couple thousand, easy. It's a special edition model, that they only made for a year"...

If anyone want to jump on this one, I can give you the contact info :)

Surely there are more great stories out there....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right?? 13 years 4 months ago #32816

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hey A.: Welcome HOme. Yes I had one of those afternoons yesterday .
Got a chance to talk to Uncle " S" . Who put this away 15yrs ago., with a running engine ? Maybe orig to boat early 60's.. . Is For Sale , $ like running cond, but would assume something needs attn.

Seems unmodified, orig rig.. Will let you know if we need some
canvass work .! ...

PS On the other hand my 65 G-3 speedster with new 20 " transom & boat trailer $1 gets picked up in two days. No mota yet. Seller says he will try & finish up re-chroming the bow light..!!!!!

Always looking for Glasspar STUFF..

Re:It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right?? 13 years 4 months ago #32833

Just remember

OLD is GOLD or as many think

CAVU

Re:It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right?? 13 years 4 months ago #32854

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Nice find, Larry.... How many sedans do you need??

I've been back for a little while now- Getting the Glasspar done, SLOWLY... Hopefully we'll see some water next week- But I'm not too sure about that :)

I picked up another project- a '66 Ford F-100... The boats will look great behind it :)

Re:It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right?? 13 years 4 months ago #32862

I'm old and one of a kind. Am I valuable? B)
Attachments:

Re:It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right?? 13 years 4 months ago #32871

Often, but certainly not always, I've politely passed on the "golden" motor and left my card. A year or two later, sometimes longer, I may get a call when the seller realizes the reason he hasn't sold the motor. Patience works.

I've also taken a different tactic on occasion, asking if they would be interested in buying mine for their price, as I have 3 or 4 just like theirs at home. Sometimes this has the effect of letting them know their gem isn't as rare as they thought...

Re:It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right?? 13 years 4 months ago #32907

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Man that sounds like a really great deal! Those are rare motors! I think I only have 3 1/2 of them. LOL!! and a 50 horse!! Wooooo.....
That makes my collection worth......wait I cant add that high! LOL!!

;)

Re:It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right?? 13 years 4 months ago #32908

• TNLark35
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Chinewalker wrote:

Often, but certainly not always, I've politely passed on the "golden" motor and left my card. A year or two later, sometimes longer, I may get a call when the seller realizes the reason he hasn't sold the motor. Patience works.

I've also taken a different tactic on occasion, asking if they would be interested in buying mine for their price, as I have 3 or 4 just like theirs at home. Sometimes this has the effect of letting them know their gem isn't as rare as they thought...

In all seriousness I have politely declined the good deal and left my number. I usually get a call about a month later and they want to negotiate to more reasonable terms.

Re:It's OLD, so it's got to be valuable, Right?? 13 years 4 months ago #32909

I did a 60 F-100 a few years back. Sold it before Katrina I think. That person still has it and been thinking about seeing if he wants to sell it back. Really enjoyed it,

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.196 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6475 guests and no members online