• Page:

TOPIC: Calling All Glastron Experts

Calling All Glastron Experts 13 years 4 months ago #32788

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Just saw this Glastron Thunderjet on local CL and emailed (too late to call) but after research saw that this boat was only made one year it has peaked my interest.

It is only about 20 miles away so I will check it out.

What can you advise?

rochester.craigslist.org/boa/2400519514.html

Thanks,
Tim

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Calling All Glastron Experts 13 years 4 months ago #32796

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Here's the factory brochure on the Thunderjet Tim, it's about half way down the page;
www.cgoamn.com/21.html

P.S. I'm no G-tron expert by any means, just a fan of the brand. :P

Mark

Re:Calling All Glastron Experts 13 years 4 months ago #32809

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok I went to see the old girl (forgot my camera unfortunately). At first glance the Thunderjet looks very good for a 65. Hull great, topsides/decking looking nice in her metalic flake blue gelcoat. Dash and interior ok(still has original front seats but back facing cushions are gone. Windshied is gone but he had an original aluminum frame and hardware he said he found on ebay.

Then we get to the transom and back floor. Not so good. Owner had attempted a DIY transom fix. He cut the top cap of the transom glass off, and installed supposed marine grade plywood. He said he poured in some epoxy or resin into the bottom and installed wood into it. On the inside it looked like he had hacked out some forearm sized chunks of original skin(where you could see the new plywood, and then crudely layed a bit of cloth and threw some more
resin over everything. The wood on the back angled floor sections in each corner is still there and rotten. Wish I had some pics but to me it doesn't look to be something I'd want to throw the original 105 Chrysler back on and head to deep water.

The trailer is decent but will need new tires, and the Chrysler looked in pretty good condition(said it was running last year) and is probably worth the $400 asking price by itself.

If he had only got as far as digging out the rotten transom wood I would be all over this rare boat but can only imagine the work involved in re-doing the transom properly. He said he was a member of the Glastron Association and he had the only 65 Thunderjet in all of NY state. I know that they were only made that one year so I assume that there are not that many of them
left.

Oh what to do......??? Probably get it for $200-300.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Calling All Glastron Experts 13 years 4 months ago #32859

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I passed on it(probably foolishly) but passed it on to our old friend Tim Calmes(Silver Lake) who jumped on it like a fox on a mouse.

He now has two of these rare ones but my bad cause the guy sold the 105hp Chrysler by itself in the mean time for $250(and was gonna throw it in for the $400 he wanted this morning when I went there.

Overall good for Tim C.....not so good for this Tim but I am happy that he has it to add to his rediculous collection.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.162 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6411 guests and no members online