Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray (update 5/25)

The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray (update 5/25) 13 years 4 months ago #32727

• uga girl
  • uga girl's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I realized Mark S and I lived within 1.5 hours of each other and bought his 1962 Custom Craft Sea Ray project boat. (It was a pleasure to meet Mark and look at his Glastrons. I guess he and I are the entire Northeast Georgia Classics Chapter!) Mark already had posted pictures on this site of the CC-SR and I will be adding more. Started surveying the boat last night with my untrained eyes and,as Mark stated, lots of work to be done!! My first question: separating the deck from the hull. Is there any reason NOT to do this? The transom is shot and will be coming out. Lots of work to be done on the floor (Mark had already started). Basically everything imaginable needs to be done. I ask this question about separation because someone stated, in regard to this boat in an earlier post, that he was not a big fan of removing the deck from the hull. There are about 300 staples (steel apparently) that need to be removed. Does anybody have a trick for that? I just don't see anyway to do the work on the boat that needs to be done without taking it apart. Also, if I take the boat apart will I need to run straps around the hull to help maintain the shape, correct? I need advice from people who have done this. Will try to post some pics tonight.

Update: 5/25: All staples were removed last night, but when we started to lift off the stern we realized the deck was glassed to the hull at the splash well/transom area. I bought a key hole saw to take this off tonight. I am concerned about trying to rebuilt the transom. I do believe we will be able to use the dust-vac to take it out; certainly don't expect anything that would be usable for a pattern. Advice at this point? Also, what is the black 'bar' running under the splash well?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32728

After removing the top I cut two 2X4 to the correct length and screwed through the rub rail area into the end of the 2X4

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin
Attachments:

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32737

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
U.G. CONGRATS from Chattanooga.. YES, I believe I used those words
on transom activity.. Each mfg or even model is different shape, so
the owner really needs to balance time , money & final usage.

Items like a orig 16" short shaft transom , going up to modern 21" transom.? not needing the both side holes for pully system steering,? & splashwell cond will factor towards a transom replace with the deck still attached..

Andrew has a 61 custom Craft up here, where we started to cut a feew different angles into the splashwell, so it will glass back into a clean design. Some of us Glasspar members will have a gathering up here July 8-9 & you F.G.ers may enjoy attending / displaying... Before that need to contact Andrew G. as his commercial ship schedule can change every 4 - 5 days.

Again CONGRATS on your collection, Write anytime.

. PS always looking for Glasspars if you get a lead.

Did not have a good pick of removed Splashwell.

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32752

• uga girl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the picture. So, as long as I properly brace the hull to prevent inward/outward movement I should be able to keep the deck off as long as I need to to do my work?

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32755

Uga Girl - To do the job right, the top must come off. The staples are easy. You get into a rythem after a while. Needle nose pliers first to straighten the bent over parts, then a thin blade screw driver to slightly lift the back of the staple, and then the needle nose inserted under the back of the staple and then rolled and the staple pops out. Do that a few hundred times and the tops ready to come off. I wouldn't worry about shape. Keep the top supported when you get it off, but when going back together, everything will pull up fine. You'll want 1/2G rubrail from WEFCO to finish off the joint.
Attachments:

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32762

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I agree- WIth MOST boat designs, you really need to take the decks off to gain proper access. Bracing the hull is a must- My Glasspar wasn't braced properly, and getting her back together was a REAL treat. I managed- but it wasn't pretty!! It involved a LOT of heavy equipment and choice words :)

Where in N.E. GA are you?? As Larry (Split) mentioned, there are a number of us in the general area. I'm just north of Chattanooga, in Hixson, TN.

-Andrew

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32774

• uga girl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Guys....Thanks....I have about 10 more staples to pull and this top if off!!

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32778

I have to agree with Andrew, brace the hull. I did not on a particular boat installing new bench seats glassing them in. The hull had spread just a little then being held rigid by the new seats making the top re-installation quite difficult. In retrospection I should have known better but it got by me causing much headache.

Greg Anderson
Wisconsin

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32797

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Inside the carboard box of "goodies" you will find two pieces of petrified, "white" chalky, what used to be rubber with a groove in it. These are pieces of the old rubrail saved for reference in sourcing a replacement. ;) Good luck with the project G-Girl, can't wait to see some pics! Please give my regards to D.

Mark

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32799

What's nice about a cat....it really doesn't lose it's shape with the top off because it's a rectangle and is pretty much self supporting. I agree with bracing, especially if you're doing floor, etc. My 18DC went back together nicely after nearly two years apart. BIG rectangle!!

Re:The Northeast Georgia '62 CC Sea Ray 13 years 4 months ago #32814

• uga girl
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thank you Mark, I will!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6489 guests and no members online